Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Temp Gauge Issues, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp Gauge Issues, Help!

Ok, here it goes. I was at a stop light last night when out of no where my temp needle moves all the way up the gauge very fast, the dash starts beeping at me yelling that the engine temp is hot. The first thing I do is shut the engine off and take the key out (as the light turns green at the center of town, good thing it was 11 at night) and I check to see if I am dumping coolant all over the intersection. There are no puddles to be seen so I get back in my car and turn the key again to see if everything is alright. when everything lights back up the needle moves to where it was originally; like 1/3 up the gauge. I start the car and pull away as though nothing happened. All this happened after a three hour trip home from Michigan while the temp gauge held steady the entire trip and I've never had issues with the temp before.

The car is an 04 m6 with ls6 heads and a g5x3 cam that was installed by Straight Line Performance in Illinois. Any help would be much appreciated.

It was also dyno tuned at SLP, could it be a little mishap with the way they tuned it or is my car going crazy?

If there is anything else that could help with anyone's diagnosis, I'll be checking regularly.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

common problem. the dealer supposedly can flash the cluster to fix it if it's a big issue with you. mine's done it twice in 5 years. i can live with it. turn the car off, turn it on, it's gone
Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Teching In

That makes me feel a lot better. I just bought the car a few months ago and didn't want to have stuff already messing up on it. If its only a little issue like you said then I won't worry about it. Thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Yea I wouldnt worry about it either man.... every once in a while my speedo flashes up like that lol.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Haha, yea mine does too but thats on purpose

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge Issues, Help!