Old 12-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Speed freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool GTO Autocross edition

http://ultimategto.com/monaro15.htm

Pontiac GTO Autocross showcases production accessories
posted 11/9/03 by Sean Mattingly, copied word-for-word off a GM press release

For Release: Oct. 28, 2003, 8 a.m. ET

No other name in automotive history says “performance car” like GTO. When the Pontiac GTO debuted in 1964, it virtually defined true street performance. Four decades later, the 2004 GTO is a modern-day incarnation of the classic. As the first new models roll off the assembly line, Pontiac will showcase a fully accessorized production GTO Autocross at the 2003 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas. Pontiac is debuting a number of performance-tuned, specially equipped show vehicles suitable for Autocross racing applications.

New engine components and a number of production accessories from GM Performance Parts distinguish the GTO Autocross. This show version continues to be powered by the venerable LS1 5.7L engine, but a new camshaft and heads from the LS6 engine boost horsepower to 400.

The GTO Autocross also features a more performance-oriented, substantial appearance with a new line of accessories – available in fall 2004 at GM dealers. The Pontiac GTO Accessories on the show car include front and rear fascia extensions, rocker panel, rear spoiler with integrated CHMSL and symmetrical dual exhaust.

Custom 18-inch wheels are wrapped with BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD performance tires, which enhance dry traction and handling for exceptional control. Custom rotors and calipers by Stainless Steel Brakes offer substantial stopping power.

Inside, production machine-drilled aluminum pedals, color-coordinated sport gauge package and satin nickel appointments add a performance touch. Custom performance-inspired red paint coats the GTO Autocross.

Compared to its ‘60s namesake, the production GTO has a tighter suspension, more powerful engine and a four-on-the-floor manual transmission that now boasts two additional gears. The car hits 60 mph in about 5.5 seconds, and runs the quarter mile in under 14 seconds. Traction control and a limited slip differential also come standard. The GTO comes with a six-speed close-ratio manual transmission or four-speed Hydra-Matic. Both come with a 3.46:1 final drive ratio.

GTO has standard four-wheel disc brakes (ventilated front, solid rear), part of a four-channel anti-lock braking system. Other standard safety features include dual front air bags, three-point safety belts for all occupants and an Emergency Mode that automatically shuts down the engine, turns off the fuel pump, unlocks the doors and turns on the dome light any time the air-bag system is deployed.

PONTIAC GTO AUTOCROSS VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS:

* 400 horsepower 5.7L LS1 V-8 engine with GM Performance Parts LS6 heads and camshaft
* Pontiac GTO Accessories, including front and rear fascia extensions, rocker panel, rear spoiler with integrated CHMSL and symmetrical dual exhaust
* Production machine-drilled aluminum pedals
* Production red sport gauge package and satin nickel appointments
* Production 2+2 all-leather bucket seating with sports-styled bolsters
* 55/45 weight distribution, balanced for excellent performance
* Custom Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. rotors and calipers
* Custom 18-inch wheels
* BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD performance tires

Old 12-11-2003, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

is the regular GTO going to have dual-dual or is this something they only made for the autocross version?
i noticed a few other things different also
Old 12-11-2003, 01:25 PM

Now that is one damned fine looking machine, that I'd own in a heartbeat! Those pictures do it justice! I'd gladly put it next to my 86' SVO Mustang, 99' Z28 1LE. It has really good looking wheels.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i like that versoin A LOT more than the regular production GTO! I hope they build it.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Is that something we can order...or is it in the "planning stages" still?
Old 12-13-2003, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
i like that versoin A LOT more than the regular production GTO! I hope they build it.

I find it interesting a lot of people say that - and yet I think they took a good car and ruined it. The only thing I don't mind that they did to it is the blackout around the headlights - everything else I like better on the production car.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

it looks like a honda
Old 12-14-2003, 12:52 AM
TECH Veteran

If the build it I doubt it will come with the LS6 heads. GM has to protect its performance icon the Corvette ZO6. Even if it isnt as fast at the ZO6, having compariable power numbers makes it a threat to the Z06 and soon to be released Cadillac CTS-V.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats how it should of been for production, to start......
Old 12-25-2003, 09:22 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maddboost
If the build it I doubt it will come with the LS6 heads. GM has to protect its performance icon the Corvette ZO6. Even if it isnt as fast at the ZO6, having compariable power numbers makes it a threat to the Z06 and soon to be released Cadillac CTS-V.
The cadillac is out, saw one at the dealership the other day . And with the coming of the C6 with an around 400HP for the base model, this could be doable. Granted I don't think GM will come out and say the setup is good for 400HP, but it could be just like the WS6/SS rated at 320hp. The Z06 will have much higher than 400hp, right now exactly what isn't clear. I'd take the autocross one over the stock GTO any day. Except the *** end still looks like a Taurus to me..

Rob

Quick Reply: GTO Autocross edition