Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

View of GTO undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default View of GTO undercarriage

I just stopped by the local Pontiac dealer to see a GTO for the first time. I saw a silver one coming off the carrier yesterday, so I knew one was there. I walk in the service department and there it was, up on a lift. I whipped out my Canon S400 and figured it was a good idea to get some underside shots for you guys. I got some great shots, but I need one of you guys to get them up here. I can email them to you, so you can post them here.
First sight impression of the car is positive. Much nicer than pictures on the web. The back wheel opening looks larger in person and the spoiler doesn't look bad. If I get one of these cars, the first thing I will do is ditch the complete exhaust system. In the pictures I took, you will see four cats, undersized dual midpipes, and completely restrictive sized exhaust pipes from the mufflers to the tips. It's funny, because the MAF is bigger and I'm not sure, but the throttle body looks larger also.

Mickey
98 Z28 race car
01 Formula Firehawk
02 ZO6
04 Duramax, Allison, Crew cab Silverado
Old 01-30-2004, 12:29 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Time to call JC and order one MIC5EY
Blue/Blue gut braaahh....
Old 01-30-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you will see four cats
I'm pretty sure it's 2 cats and 2 resonators.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Give me your email....I'll send you a picture. It looks like two cats connected to the headers, two pup cats , then two small mufflers after the bolted flanges.

Mickey
Old 01-30-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

-Dual catalytic converters, one on each exhaust bank;
-Two resonators - acoustical chambers that are tuned to a specific resonant frequency via internally positioned louvers - are positioned between each catalytic converter and the mufflers;
-Two mufflers with different internal flow paths (the right muffler flow path is longer than the left). This achieves a harmonic imbalance between the exhaust paths, enabling engineers to essentially mix tonal qualities to achieve desired sounds;
-Specifically sized and routed stainless steel pipes to ensure reduced backpressure as well as desired tonal qualities; and,
-A single tubular brace that holds the paths together between the converters and resonators to minimize vibration that could adversely affect the tonal qualities of the system.
From a press release at www.media.gm.com
Old 01-31-2004, 06:42 AM
Launching!

Cool..... The resonators look just like Random Tech cats. Easy to mistake for cats. Take a look when you get your car.

Mickey
Old 01-31-2004, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My first thought when I saw the underside was 'damn, I'm gonna have to do a whole exhaust on this car right away'. From the dyno numbers that have been posted, unless you do headers there isn't much more than 5-10 hp to be gained through exhaust only changes. Mine will stay stock until I decide to do the headers.

Quick Reply: View of GTO undercarriage