Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Compare: GTO vs. C5

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1904gto
know we talking bout c5 here, but i ran a c6 stock to stock, and beat him, idk if he bad driver or what, but a win is a win
chaulk another one up for the Pontiac Tribe. I had a M3 rev his motor at me a few times at a light.. I just teased him, but I have no doubts that my goat would've taken him.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Talking

know we talking bout c5 here, but i ran a c6 stock to stock, and beat him, idk if he bad driver or what, but a win is a win
i ran one too and beat one. that old bastard was pissed and flew by me going well over 100 after i backed off lol.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Dude GTO is the way to go...
Old 11-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

His driving and your english are about the same.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by gto jimbo
his driving and your english are about the same.
lmao.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Corvette interiors= YUCK!!
GTO interiors= Pretty Nice
Old 11-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChefTA
Corvette interiors= YUCK!!
GTO interiors= Pretty Nice
1995 Honda Civic DX interior>C5 interior. Chevy slacked on their flagship model if you ask me.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

If Chevy could produce what BMW, Audi, and Porsche do in the interiors with their top of the line in their fleets.. Corvette would be a steal for the styling and engine at near 45k.
Albeit, I'm not a fan of woodgrain trim, Aluminum is a nice touch.. anything but shitty plastic.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of people talk about how Awesome this or that car is at handling and other things than going straight.......

.....then they proceed to never go to a road course, never take any turns fast, never spend the crazy big money it takes to upkeep tires, brakes..etc for road course stuff.

90% of people go straight fast and that's it. GTOs are amazingly good at doing that especially for the cost of modding or even what you get out of the box.

Every muscle car or muscle sedan made today is heavier or BARELY lighter than a GTO but yet LS1Tech peeps constantly harp on "fat pig". With full exhaust and a lighter converter my "fat pig" weighs 3,580. Full seats, a/c...etc

Interesting how most of my buddies aftermarket suspension equiped, Moser equiped F bodies are in the 3500-3600 range too.

Some of you guys need to lose the stigmas, educate your selves on GTO capabilites and get fing real about these cars. They have nothing left to prove to anyone. For some reason the general LS1Tech thing to do will always be to harp on them while they jock 4 door Cadillacs and similarly performing 5th gens butall the while GTOs will continue to yank **** up on the streets and be a coveted platform to have in the real world.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

harp..rofl.. I remember a few times as a child hearing my dad use that word in his everyday nonsense jargon. Now, onto importante things. GTO has a fat @$$, but it's still quick. I dont take my car to the track, but I can tell you it's a quick lil goat.. it'll go bahh bahh bahh all day long over those stinkin' Mustangs
Old 11-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Lots of people talk about how Awesome this or that car is at handling and other things than going straight.......

.....then they proceed to never go to a road course, never take any turns fast, never spend the crazy big money it takes to upkeep tires, brakes..etc for road course stuff.

90% of people go straight fast and that's it. GTOs are amazingly good at doing that especially for the cost of modding or even what you get out of the box.

Every muscle car or muscle sedan made today is heavier or BARELY lighter than a GTO but yet LS1Tech peeps constantly harp on "fat pig". With full exhaust and a lighter converter my "fat pig" weighs 3,580. Full seats, a/c...etc

Interesting how most of my buddies aftermarket suspension equiped, Moser equiped F bodies are in the 3500-3600 range too.

Some of you guys need to lose the stigmas, educate your selves on GTO capabilites and get fing real about these cars. They have nothing left to prove to anyone. For some reason the general LS1Tech thing to do will always be to harp on them while they jock 4 door Cadillacs and similarly performing 5th gens butall the while GTOs will continue to yank **** up on the streets and be a coveted platform to have in the real world.
You look like a huge fan boi.

It doesn't take an auto-cross junkie to realize the stock suspension is junk. Hell, look on ls1gto. People with less than 10,000 miles of ownership have gone in for warranty work.

Saggy springs, rotted bushings, terrible wheel hop with the IRS, overall it just sucks. The car handles and brakes like a suburban.

Sure, there's some aftermarket parts to fix this but, you can't polish a turd.

The gto is and will always be, a big lazy highway cruiser.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Rubber bushing dont rot, just so you know. The metal around the rubber bushing is what rots, ask me how I know. Mine have been rusted for about 25,000 miles now. It doesnt affect it, right away. And its only the radius rod bushings that suffer from that.
And the later model mustangs have wheel hop issues as well according to ModdedMustings.com forums. Even some F bodys suffer from wheel hop.
If the 04-06 GTOs are turds, what are all F bodys to you? Everything about the GTO is refined in respect to comparing them to your beloved F bodys.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed. Fbody is junk compared to GTO as far as refinement
Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GTO, more room for passengers, slick looks, rarity, LS2 vs LS1, and I hear the interiors are pretty good for a GM car.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JustAnotherLS2
Rubber bushing dont rot, just so you know. The metal around the rubber bushing is what rots, ask me how I know. Mine have been rusted for about 25,000 miles now. It doesnt affect it, right away. And its only the radius rod bushings that suffer from that.
And the later model mustangs have wheel hop issues as well according to ModdedMustings.com forums. Even some F bodys suffer from wheel hop.
If the 04-06 GTOs are turds, what are all F bodys to you? Everything about the GTO is refined in respect to comparing them to your beloved F bodys.
Let's just make it clear, I don't hold the f-bodys to a higher power.

I just hate it when t00ls are too ignorant to acknowledge their cars drawbacks. Saying your car has "the nicest interior out of any GM" or "it's more refined than an f-body" is a bit like saying....

Oh good, I’ve got syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases.
-jeremy clarkson
It just sounds stupid....

It's a car. It has rattles and other lose ends. It's not any different than the rest.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

i agree. GTOs are a great car for its price but theyre far from perfect. suspension is crap. stock shifter sucks and parts are expensive.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah because no other car has its flaws. There are literally PERFECT cars out there. We could go to every model and find flaws, TSBs and warranty work. Sorry yours is held together with used gum. I've beaten mine like it owes me money, treat it well maintenance wise, and it hasnt failed me yet.

You could put a dual coil over, full poly bushing suspension under a GTO for the price of a Moser swap that is pretty much mandatory for any Fbody that wants to be more serious than bolt ons on that popsickle stick 10 bolt.

And Corvettes?

Yeah lol

Those are perfect. No problems what so ever. Roof skins never fly off.....none of that kind of stuff.

Find your favorite car that you think is a tight ship and go hit up the model specific forum and do some searching. You'll find plenty of problems with every model. Most of the time its the Indian not the Arrow.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both are GM cars.. both have less than perfect fit & finish, both have a few rattles & squeaks.

Performance isn't significantly different, both are fun to drive. The A4 cars aren't anywhere near as good on fuel as the M6 cars (both vette, F body, or gto)

If you try, you can buy a GTO for $9-10K today, a Vette isn't much more, even a 2004 Z06 can be found for under 20K without trying very hard. At a stop light, a EVO or R32 or whatever import may beat your stock GTO/vette/fbody acceleration, but they can't do it without major modifications, often the mod's they have done cost more than a used F-body.

If you want to go fast for fairly cheap, it is hard to beat an older camaro, or vette, but the back seat on a camaro is a joke compared to my wife's gto.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

I can also attest to the lack of backseat in an F-Body. I had a T/A prior to opting to getting the GTO. The backseat, and overall interior feels better, eventhough GM's lack luster interior still shows in some parts. It's not overly cheap looking like I've seen in C5's/C6's.
2 door Corvette is the GTO
Pontiac...1967-2009 Never Forget!!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by twinturbo496

If you try, you can buy a GTO for $9-10K today, a Vette isn't much more, even a 2004 Z06 can be found for under 20K without trying very hard. At a stop light, a EVO or R32 or whatever import may beat your stock GTO/vette/fbody acceleration, but they can't do it without major modifications, often the mod's they have done cost more than a used F-body.
You do understand that the performance of your average, bone stock evo or STi is equal to, or greater than, a C5 vette and GTO. Right?

So your last last sentence is incorrect.

Honestly for the money, performance and practicality, you can't beat a used Evo/STi.

Quick Reply: Compare: GTO vs. C5