Test drove a new goat today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Speed freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Test drove a new goat today!

Pictures don't do it justice.

Black on black with red guages.

The interior is absolutely awesome. Very sleek, smooth, and stylish. Foot pedals are aluminum and close for great heel-toe action. The seats conform to your body. It has hip huggers with a gentle touch, so when you're taking the hard corners, you don't move. Very comfortable. Very roomy. Trunk could use some more space, but still pretty nice. Nice spare tire. Only problem....I didn't see those cool little cup holders. Maybe its an option or just and overseas option. I'll have to find out.

Outside is very cool. Solid gas cap....not very noticeable (push button inside). Front end looks great....(not like a grand am or cavalier in person). Lighting looks good. Smooth, yet plain body lines. Definitely looks better in person. I'd still do away with the rear spoiler.

Engine bay is cool. Everything looks great and stylish. Very open too. Spark plugs are easier to get to than a vette and f-body.

Now...performance wise...handles like a dream. 10x better than anything I've owned. The exhaust tone purrs like a kitten. Easy to burn off the tires. This thing can flat out move.

Overall....I give the car a 9.5 on a 10 scale.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

great info! I thought the same thing when I saw a few of them in person. You don't realize that this car is bigger than an f-body until you see one in person. Very roomy inside, and by far the best Chevy/Pontiac interior ever offered - including the vette.

Tony
Old 02-07-2004, 12:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I recently went to check out a black GTO at a local dealer. Actually, after seeing it in person, there are parts of it I like better than the pics, and some parts worse.

I didn't like the styling of the rear of the car. It ends too abruptly (including the stubby bumper cover) and seems overly bland; plus I didn't care for the spolier (it just doesn't fit the rest of the car's lines). The single-side exhaust outlets add to the already bland look of the car's rear. The wheels looked even worse than in the pics (easily changed though, thankfully), and the quality of the paint was below that of my WS6 when new; it had a slight "haze" or "fog" (yes it was in the finish, it would not rub off), but maybe it was just that particular GTO.

As for what I liked, the interior is very nice. The seats are great, excellent quality leather, and nice design. The layout of the dash and console are ok, but I like the lower, sleaker look of my T/A's dash layout better; however the GTO's dash & console certainly seems to be constructed of better quality materials than the F-bodies. Gauges are very nice as well. But what I liked the most about the car was the stance. It sits well, there is almost NO space between the top of the tire and the wheel well lip. It's nice to see that on a stock ride height car. I also like the front clip more in person than I thought I would. Actaully, with a more aggressive hood design (including removing the washer nozzles from the hood) I would really like the whole look of the front.

All and all, it's not a bad car IMO. But I wouldn't buy one with the current exterior styling. It's just too bland for me. If they re-do the rear clip design with something more aggressive (plus a spolier that "fits in" with the rest of the rear), add some sort of a ram air or similar hood, and put exhaust outlets on opposite sides, it could be really nice.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

The only thing I really dislike is the small looking 17s and how ugly they are. This car needs an 18" minimum wheel size in my opinion. Over in Australia, they come with 18s from the factory. But, I change out stock wheels anyways, stock is boring

Tony
Old 02-07-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I still think 18"s in the back and 17"s in the front. The car just needs a tad more rake to look really mean. When I wear the first set of tires out I'm going to look for some decent looking black rims (black car) - I've seen one done and it looks nice.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

saw a black one in person yesterday , VERRY nice! If I had the money I'd buy one, a nice Roots type supercharger would look so good on top! Interior looked great, I talked to the owner and he said it was very comfortable.

Pics don't do it justice till you see it in person, Thumbs Up!
Old 02-09-2004, 12:23 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I went and looked at two more GTOs at other local dealers. Seems that all the big Pontiac dealers around me have one now. This weekend I looked at a yellow and a red one. Both of them had far better paint than the black one I first saw. Anyone else notice that slight 'haze' on a black one? I wonder if it was just that particular car or all the black ones?

Every time I see one of these cars I hate the wheels more and more. What the hell was GM thinking with those things? I mean, they've done some poor designs before, but with the re-introduction of a car like the GTO, you'd really think they would have given us something better for wheels. Also, how hard would it have been to move those washer nozzles off the hood and onto the wiper arms?

I also have concluded that the single-side outlet exhaust on this car is GM's idea of humor and irony. The past couple decades we have been crying for a factory true dual system on our F-cars instead of just the dual-side outlet single system. Now, they finally give us a true dual system, but it's a single side exit?! Yeah I know it has to do with their lack of time to make a dual side outlet system fit the undercarrige design, but still it sure seems funny in a messed up, evil kind of way.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

We will see what happens next year.......
Old 02-09-2004, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIGBOS
We will see what happens next year.......
Some of us Aussies can't wait that long!

Left hand drive BTW.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Anyone else notice that slight 'haze' on a black one? I wonder if it was just that particular car or all the black ones?

The black paint has an extreme amount of silver metallic - more than any other black paint I've seen. Depending on the lighting I guess it could look hazy from that. Otherwise it could be a problem with the car. Maybe the dealer tried one of it's 'paint protection' schemes and it didn't react right with the aussie paint?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

The black paint is a "mica" paint. It has a silver metallic pearl tint in it so when it's in the Sun you see it better.

Last edited by v8 ute; 02-09-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

"Depending on the lighting I guess it could look hazy from that"

I agree. I just saw one at the car show and it is not a very dark black. It almost looks like a dark grey. It must just be the paint they chose. I didnt care for it, it really does look hazy or just dull. I think black is the best color for the GTO but they need to use a better black paint.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to see it in the sun - I think it is going to look way cool.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:19 AM

I'm starting to think my buddy from Scotland is right, when he says "you Yanks would bitch and gripe if you had gold as*holes." Now pass me the Guinness if you please. It's my happy hour to get pissed drunk.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Is it slower than the Z28??? I mena does it seem faster??? I noticed Hotrod or one of those magazines did a comparo between the GTO and Mach One. The GTO MPH was like 98 high 13's or low 14's I believe (not to mag race, I just have never witnessed one in person, let alone watched one race).
Old 02-10-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh, and what do they weigh??? Like as much as a new Cobra???
Old 02-10-2004, 05:18 PM

Just out of curiosity, WECIV, I'm not understanding the context of your signature and how you're meaning it. Could you explain it please?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Thought it was interesting how you have America Aborting one third of its babies. Then complaing we do not have the tax or work force that we need today. Also we have more illegal aliens entering our nation than US babies being born (not to say that illegal aliens are bad, we all are illegal). I am just saying we get into a war, we are going to be in a hurt, no matter how much tech we have. We need tax payers, warriors, and warm bodies. Just comparing our nation and Europe (where we came from for the most part). And, the sig was only allowed to 500 letters, so it got really shortened. We too will be in that boat of stiffled nations if we keep killing kids.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by WECIV
Thought it was interesting how you have America Aborting one third of its babies. Then complaing we do not have the tax or work force that we need today. Also we have more illegal aliens entering our nation than US babies being born (not to say that illegal aliens are bad, we all are illegal). I am just saying we get into a war, we are going to be in a hurt, no matter how much tech we have. We need tax payers, warriors, and warm bodies. Just comparing our nation and Europe (where we came from for the most part). And, the sig was only allowed to 500 letters, so it got really shortened. We too will be in that boat of stiffled nations if we keep killing kids.
Understood now, thankyou .
Old 02-11-2004, 06:32 AM
Staging Lane

Post these kind of stuff in a political forum, this has nothing to do with cars. For some of us we like to relax by going to forums such as these. I dont need to be lectured and agendas forced on me.

Quick Reply: Test drove a new goat today!