Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Two Problems I cant figure out..

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Two Problems I cant figure out..

Ok problem #1: When i start the car it starts then immediatley shuts off, it doesn't sputter or anything or try to stay on it just shuts off. I turn the key again and nothing, I do this for about 5 min then it,ll start just fine. This happens not only at cold start but in the middle of the day when i just get off at the store. Problem #2 when im at a standstill ie. Light, or just in the parking lot with my car on the temp goes all the way up and my system sensor starts to beep about the car being too hot, i'm talking about way in the red area, ill see a little steam (very little) so i shut it off and open the hood and nothing there is plenty of coolant in the reserve, and there is no steam anywhere like an overheated car would have.. never happens when im on the expressway though, might come up a little past the half way mark but then goes back down to normal op temp... anyone have these problems ?? Or know how to fix it, i would really appreciate it, Thanks..
Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Does this car have any modifications and is the stock tune in the computer? Mileage on car? Year of the car?

Overheat issue: are your fans working?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Its an 06 Stock m6, no aftermarket parts at all sitting at 68K and yes the fans work.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

I wonder if maybe the water pump is seized up. The added serp belt force trying to turn the water pumps pulley keeps the engine from staying on (not enough power), but once it loosens the pump up a bit it's good to go.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

How would it loosen up when its off ? It completely shuts off and doesnt even turn when i try to turn it on again almost as if my battery wasnt connected.. even though the accesories work.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

I am wondering if the no start issue is in the key security system or possibly the fuel pump is not holding pressure. Can you hear the pump running? Can you try another key fob?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

mine occasionally dose the temp gauge thing if i crank my car on a cold morning and turn the heater on before the car warms up. if i shut it down , then crank it back up it usually goes to op temp. on mine , i think its a sticky thermastat.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 700rocket
I am wondering if the no start issue is in the key security system or possibly the fuel pump is not holding pressure. Can you hear the pump running? Can you try another key fob?

How can you hear the fuel Pump? and i only have one key fob.. it started happening like 4 months ago and it wasnt so bad but now it has become much more pronounced and happens just about everyday..
Old 04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

The overheating thing might be low coolant and/or air in the system. On my '06 mine would start to get in the red, and then go back to normal...it was pretty random, too. It wouldn't happen every time I drove the car, but when it did happen, it was only when stopped...once I got moving, it would go back to normal. Be sure to check the coolant level when the car is cool and don't use that POS dipstick, check it at the radiator. If it's low, add coolant and then "burp" the system by starting the car w/ the rad. cap off and watch for bubbles, have someone hold the RPM up around 1500 or so and add coolant as needed until the car is warmed up. Mine was low on coolant and had air in the system. No probs since (2 years ago).
Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Well, if the low coolant issue is the case, i hope you dont still use dex-cool. I would seriously not want to see the crap in that coolant system if you've been running low on coolant for any length of time.

You can hear the fuel pump just as you turn the key to on.. sounds like a little electric motor running for a couple seconds.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bulldog0082
How can you hear the fuel Pump? and i only have one key fob.. it started happening like 4 months ago and it wasnt so bad but now it has become much more pronounced and happens just about everyday..

Like earlier mentioned you can hear it run when you turn the key to on. I am wondering if it is building up enough pressure or getting weak. Pump should run about 2 seconds then shut off. If you can hear it keep running I would assume you getting warm to the starting issue.

If you only have one key now is the time to get a new one made, your fob battery is 5 years old in that thing and when it goes dead you are screwed. it will run $80-120 for a new fob and key. You will find instructions on how to program it yourself and save that fee from the dealer. This might not be the starting issue but better to have ruled this out now.

Quick Reply: Two Problems I cant figure out..