Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Ignition Lock Cylinder Fix ***Write up***

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ignition Lock Cylinder Fix ***Write up***

I've been seeing a lot of these threads posted lately so I figured I would post the write up that was originally done on LS1GTO.

Original thread: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...70#post3078370

Originally Posted by Silver96Firebird
There have been lots of threads about the dreaded "locked ignition" and what to do about it. I had never been stranded but many times I would have to try several times to get my key to turn. After reading an excellent thread by ELP_JC:

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread....light=ignition
(This is required reading if you want to fix this problem) I went at it and took pictures on the way. Ultimately my repair technique was slightly different than ELP_JC, but they both fix the same fundamental problem. Now that I understand what is going on, I have to break some bad news: It is very unlikely you will be able to fix this by lubricating the key or spraying some lubricant into the hole. It will never reach the parts that need it.

Disclaimer!!! This thread is for reference only!! I take no responsibility for any damage you cause if you try this!

So let's get started:

Remove lower dash panel and then remove the airbag fuse

Remove Negative Battery Connection

Remove Ignition trim cover screw. There is only 1.

Separate the upper and lower trim covers. This is done by pushing back on the bottom cover while pulling forward and up on the top. This step is a little tricky. There are tabs that catch on the front. You need to disconnect these by pushing the bottom back.

Remove the key FOB interface from the cylinder. Disconnect wires from the interface first. The unit just slides off the cylinder.

Remove the ignition cylinder. This is done by turning the key to the ON position and insert a small Allen or drill bit into the hole on top of the cylinder. When you push down the tab inside the cylinder, you will be able to turn the key slightly and remove the entire cylinder assembly.

Cylinder Disassembly. Turn the key until you are fully on. Push down the pin and turn the key further to release the pin. Be ready to catch it. It's pretty clear where it is going to become unretained. There is a small spring behind it, don't lose it. At this time, you can slide the tumbler assembly out from the cylinder. There is a small black guide that may or may not fall out. If it does, there is a tiny spring behind it. Don't lose that either.

Note: I have never removed my key from the tumbler assembly when it was out of the cylinder. If you remove your key, the tumblers may fall out, or they might not. I never tired. Try at your own risk.

Here you can see the previous step completed. You will see the black tab is removed. He fits in that slot on the top near the key. The spring goes along side. It's easy to put back together, just don't lose anything.

Now to understand the problem: This pin, shown below, fits into this slot when the key is off. Normally when you go to turn the key, it will follow the ramp out of the slot and onto the main track. The problem is that a rut has developed at the bottom of the ramp. The pin is hanging up in this rut.

My solution was to CAREFULLY smooth out this ramp with a Dremel tool to remove the rut. I basically changed the profile of the ramp so the pin would move nice and easy. Take your time, remove the smallest amount of material possible and then clean all the dust out. Once I had the entire assembly clean, I cleaned the tumblers the best I could as well. After applying a good coat of grease to all moving surfaces, especially where the pin slides on the ramp, I reassembled. Last, reinstall into the car and put everything back together.

At this time, my ignition is totally smooth and works like it's new. Granted my problem wasn't quite as advanced as some other people, but this fixed my sticking issue. If you are considering this project, take your time and understand what the problem is when you have the cylinder in your hand. Once you know what is causing the problem you will have a better chance fixing it.

Edit: 05/02/2010

By popular demand, I have added the cylinder replacement part numbers below. Replacing the cylinder is easier than doing the dremel modification, so if you can get your hands on a new style housing, that might be your best bet.

The old style housing is # 92172018
The new updated housing is # 92234035
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 locked ignition

On Friday my key Locked in the ignition and it wouldn't turn.i went and tried some graphite lube and put some in the key hole but it still didnt work so I had it towed it to the roseville Chevy in ca.then I ordered part 92172018 which is the ignition cylinder along with the tumbler.then I kept telling the Chevy tech guy I need part 92234035 housing cylinder with the 92172018 tumlber.if I don't use the new cylinder and just use parts 92172018 will this keep happening any feedback please get back
Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Not sure if anyone will read this but and may have to make my own post but, how can I take the lock apart if I can't even get the ignition to turn at all? Anyone have an idea? The write up says to turn the key in the on position and then use an Allen Wrench or Drill Bit to push a pin to release the cylinder.

What can I do if I cannot get the switch to turn to the on position? There a trick to do it? Anyone know what a paperclip trick is? Couldn't find any real info on that. My wife's car is an 04 GTO. Thanks

Jason
Old 04-12-2014, 06:21 AM
Teching In

Just in case anyone has the same issue as Jason, you need a thin flat piece of metal. You insert the metal into the area between the lock cylinder and the cylinder housing at the 12 oclock position so that it pushes up on the lock tumbler that is keeping the center of the lock cylinder from pushing back into the housing. Then push the center of the lock cylinder in and hold it there. Remove your thin metal tool, keep holding the center of the cylinder in or it will pop out again. Insert the key and turn the ignition.

Just a side note on this problem. I never tried the grinding procedure in this write up but I have experimented with my own method. Instead of modifying the housing, I simply removed the lock tumbler that hold the cylinder stuck out when this happens. (Its the one that you have to push up with the flat metal blade) I did this as an experiment after going through 2 lock cylinders in one summer for this issue. It has been 3 years since I did that and it still works great. If anyone else does it you should be aware that when you shut the key off the accessory power will now shut off instead of stay on until the key is removed. That seems to be the only side effect. I thought that I would have to push the cylinder in before turning the key when starting the car but that hasn't been nessisary, it pulls itself in when you start turning the key. I think I have pictures saved from when I did this if anyone is interested.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Nice find this thread is !
Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by njcioffi
Just in case anyone has the same issue as Jason, you need a thin flat piece of metal. You insert the metal into the area between the lock cylinder and the cylinder housing at the 12 oclock position so that it pushes up on the lock tumbler that is keeping the center of the lock cylinder from pushing back into the housing. Then push the center of the lock cylinder in and hold it there. Remove your thin metal tool, keep holding the center of the cylinder in or it will pop out again. Insert the key and turn the ignition.

Just a side note on this problem. I never tried the grinding procedure in this write up but I have experimented with my own method. Instead of modifying the housing, I simply removed the lock tumbler that hold the cylinder stuck out when this happens. (Its the one that you have to push up with the flat metal blade) I did this as an experiment after going through 2 lock cylinders in one summer for this issue. It has been 3 years since I did that and it still works great. If anyone else does it you should be aware that when you shut the key off the accessory power will now shut off instead of stay on until the key is removed. That seems to be the only side effect. I thought that I would have to push the cylinder in before turning the key when starting the car but that hasn't been nessisary, it pulls itself in when you start turning the key. I think I have pictures saved from when I did this if anyone is interested.
The problem with doing this is that the steering will lock when you turn the key off, rather than when you remove it. Soemthing to be aware of - It could be dangerous if you had a stuck throttle and paniced and turn the key off, locking the steering.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maf_diver
The problem with doing this is that the steering will lock when you turn the key off, rather than when you remove it. Soemthing to be aware of - It could be dangerous if you had a stuck throttle and paniced and turn the key off, locking the steering.

When I read this I thought I overlooked that potentially dangerous problem but I do coast into my garage and have had to turn the wheel sometimes but it never locked. I decided to try it out thinking I didnt ever turn it enough to catch the lock. So I went out in a parking lot and shut the ignition off while driving and turned the wheel. The wheel did not lock. My car is an automatic and when the trans is in drive the key can not turn all the way off so you can kill the engine while driving and it does not lock the steering because the key will not turn off far enough for it to be removed. It is a safety built into all modern cars. In a manual it should have a detent where you have to either push the key in further or a button to push while turning the key in order to release the key to the full off "lock" position. I dont remember which style the GTO's have but i know all manual shift cars have some sort of safety like that. I would suggest that anyone who does this to their cylinder try this out just to make sure everything is still working properly so that no body has a potentially dangerous event.

Quick Reply: Ignition Lock Cylinder Fix ***Write up***