Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Suspension mods for drag?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension mods for drag?

Hey guys, I have 2010 camaro so I figure both cars being simular I could ask this question here. Not enough info on 5th gens yet. As far as drag racing goes what suspension part have you guys seen to make the biggest diff in your 60ft and launch? My car has nothing but headers right now, and I was thinking of playing with the suspension to knock down some good header only times.

I am going to box my trailing arms tomarrow, and I was thinking a stiff rear sway bar could help the car launch more like a solid axle. I am new to IRS! Also I am on a tight budget so looking to do one thing at a time. Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Hey guys, I have 2010 camaro so I figure both cars being simular I could ask this question here. Not enough info on 5th gens yet. As far as drag racing goes what suspension part have you guys seen to make the biggest diff in your 60ft and launch? My car has nothing but headers right now, and I was thinking of playing with the suspension to knock down some good header only times.

I am going to box my trailing arms tomarrow, and I was thinking a stiff rear sway bar could help the car launch more like a solid axle. I am new to IRS! Also I am on a tight budget so looking to do one thing at a time. Thanks
Trailing arms, toe rods, outer trailing arm bushings, differential bushings and cradle bushings are all very helpful when it comes to drag racing. All these parts help to control the movement in the suspension and rear which will lead to better wheel hop control and better, more consistent launches.

Boxing your trailing arms is only going to help so much because you are still going to be using the factory rubber bushings which are prone to deflection and lack the suspension control needed to cut good 60 fts and consistent launches. Rather than box yours take a look at our BMR trailing arms (TCA026), they are inexpensive and easy to install and work very well. Here is a picture of them.

A stiffer sway bar will help also but the parts I listed above are much more important than the sway bars.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension mods for drag?-tca026r.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say I box the toe rods also, having both boxed what would be the next step you would suggest. I just want to try that for now because its free
Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Say I box the toe rods also, having both boxed what would be the next step you would suggest. I just want to try that for now because its free
Boxing the toe rods are going to be kind of hard with the design of them. It will help a little bit but it is more of a band aid then anything else. The rubber bushings are really going to hinder the performance whether you box them or not.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the gto, BMR drag bags were the best bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: Suspension mods for drag?