Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

When it is hot. Our cars are slow.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Death{AW}
make sure to change coolant at least every 3 years. Orange stuff will stop working after 3 years.
Dont listen to this guy
Old 06-18-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by svede1212
Some day when you take your car to the track (and it's not hot out) do a couple of runs and then take the top off the Volant's box and do it again. You'll see a couple of MPH quicker traps without the top. The Volant is fairly restrictive due to that box and the tube.
I was thinking of hacking up my Volant box to address that very issue.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have an 04 you can just move your iat and fool the computer...mine sits right behind the fog light....times are alot more consistent...
Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by svede1212
Some day when you take your car to the track (and it's not hot out) do a couple of runs and then take the top off the Volant's box and do it again. You'll see a couple of MPH quicker traps without the top. The Volant is fairly restrictive due to that box and the tube.

thanks for the advice ill deffintly look into that.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Teching In

its been over 100 every day lately...my cars running like crap
Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tittan1500
Dont listen to this guy
Hey thats what I was told by performance shop. That long life coolant stops working after 3 years. I cant verify it I just do it just in case.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

I always noticed my car would run lot slower at times never knew why till now. Too bad the goat is gone
Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
I was thinking of hacking up my Volant box to address that very issue.
It helps but that style design still suffers from a smallish tube, 90 bend and an insufficient place to pull outside cool air from.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Get the svede intake and tune for it. You'll be surprised at the difference it makes. I tried the Volant, the SNL 4" and the svede. I am probably the only one that has dyno and track tested all 3. I still have the svede if that tells you anything.

If that still doesn't make you happy when it's hot, call VA Speed and order a 427. I know for a fact that will win you over.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Man, I love the looks of the Svede but I don't really have the cash to fork out $400+ for intake and IAT kit.

Very nice kit though.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

I'm getting a Vararam. I have heard it is the 2nd best other than the svede. I just cannot spend an extra 150 bucks for an intake. 150 dollars for 1-2whp....I can get this Vararam and get it tuned for right at 500 bucks. I plan on doing this next week. Expect before/after numbers with just an intake and a tune.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therat1989
I'm getting a Vararam. I have heard it is the 2nd best other than the svede. I just cannot spend an extra 150 bucks for an intake. 150 dollars for 1-2whp....I can get this Vararam and get it tuned for right at 500 bucks. I plan on doing this next week. Expect before/after numbers with just an intake and a tune.
You could also look at a hardcore intake. No offense its your car, but a Vararam looks cheap and cheesy IMO.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You could also look at a hardcore intake. No offense its your car, but a Vararam looks cheap and cheesy IMO.
It *may* look like that, but

1) it's not really when you actually own and see it in person

and

2) who the hell cares as long as it performs significantly better than anything but the svede

Hardcores are manly for 04s as you can easily cut the fender. On 05-06s the coolant overflow tank sits right where the filter would sit...so you would have to do quite a bit of modification to relocate that and make it fit.

Also, all those bends are not gonna make for good power by any means.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by therat1989
The VR is a pretty good performing intake on a stockish car. On higher HP cars with 102 MAFs (and/or NOx plates, FAST TBs, etc) it's not such an easy thing to accommodate as the SS which can fit anything. The VR is made to fit the filter directly on the 85mm stock MAF with no readily available room for the NOx plate, FAST TB or larger diameter MAF. You also don't have to buy an IAT relocate with the SS just as some haven't done an IAT relocate with the VR and some have. It really depends on what you're going to do at the end of your mods. I remember my dad taught me one time when he bought a cheaper circular saw. If worked fine but then he needed a better one as the bearings were giving out causing unreliable cuts. He ended up with the cheap one and the one he should have gotten to start with.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the VR and it makes your engine bay look like it's hacked up. If you have to use pipe insulation then you need to think about your purchase more. And most people hack up the radiator cover which makes it look 1000 times worse.

And no matter what you do it will not seal to the hood when closed. I used the largest pipe insulation at HD and I could still stick my hand through the gap.

Make a svede, save for one or just keep the stock intake but use a IAT relocate.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the Svede intake replaced the entire radiator cover like the Aussie Duspeed intake, I'd be all over it. I am hesitant to hack up my radiator cover. I've seen a couple of installed Svedes and they look nice, but the radiator cover wasn't cut straight or something and looks awful. If the intake's finish matched the radiator cover, it would help too. Looks AND performance are important to me.

Last edited by Robofuzz; 07-16-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

If the Svede intake replaced the entire radiator cover like the Aussie Duspeed intake, I'd be all over it. I am hesitant to hack up my radiator cover. I've seen a couple of installed Svedes and they look nice, but the radiator cover wasn't cut straight or something and looks awful. If the intake's finish matched the radiator cover, it would help too. Looks AND performance are important to me.
I don't think my bay looks too bad but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't like the cheap looking plastic FRCs but some insist on keeping.those heat retaining things on . At ~$800 like the Duspeed it could have been done like that. We tried to keep the price at as low of an entry point as possible. I'm working on accessory panels for the sides on mine and if they turn out OK maybe offer those. 99.9% of the time I have my hood closed tho and performance is the most important to me. When "pretty" like the Volant costs more than 15 RWHP (a good 15 HP from flow plus more with actual heat ingestion) I'm going the other way.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, I'm not doubting the performance of your intake. I've seen it firsthand and driven a 2004 with one of your intakes installed. It's a high quality piece. But, I also show my car and I really like the integrated one piece look of the Duspeed. I'm not confident in my ability to modify a radiator cover to look like I didn't hack it up.

Since I've already got money invested in the Volant, I'm going to spend a little time to insulate it and mod it while I decide what I want as a permanent solution that will support a future 427 engine build.

As far as what I'm doing/have done to the Volant:
I replaced the Volant cone filter with a slightly larger K&N cone filter.
I made an IAT relocation kit and moved my IAT sensor into the end of the K&N filter.
I purchased some items from Heatshield to insulate the box with a radiant heat barrier.
I want to reconfigure the opening of the box for better air flow.

Last edited by Robofuzz; 07-16-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Oh, I'm not doubting the performance of your intake. I've seen it firsthand and driven a 2004 with one of your intakes installed. It's a high quality piece. But, I also show my car and I really like the integrated one piece look of the Duspeed. I'm not confident in my ability to modify a radiator cover to look like I didn't hack it up.

Since I've already got money invested in the Volant, I'm going to spend a little time to insulate it and mod it while I decide what I want as a permanent solution that will support a future 427 engine build.

As far as what I'm doing/have done to the Volant:
I replaced the Volant cone filter with a slightly larger K&N cone filter.
I made an IAT relocation kit and moved my IAT sensor into the end of the K&N filter.
I purchased some items from Heatshield to insulate the box with a radiant heat barrier.
I want to reconfigure the opening of the box for better air flow.
I understand. I did win a 2nd place at a car show tho and that was before I even had my cover on. The Volant has design flaws that can't be engineered around for performance. The tube size, length, 90* bend and source of the air all stay the same. Insulating intakes was something I experimented with 4 years ago and it did little to nothing as the source proved to be the determining factor. You'll note an increase in performance just taking the cover off the box (I tested that too) and you can remove the headlight and that helps a lot . To each his own makes the hobby interesting and no 2 cars the same.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I'm not planning on removing the lid. Actually - I had a new acrylic lid made to replace the Volant one. The new lid has the GTO fender logo on it. However, the front of the Volant box will be the subject of some... shall we say... major modifications. Just a stopgap while I work on other areas of the car (suspension, rear end, etc) in preparation of the larger motor.

And by the way - I think you did one heck of a job engineering your intake. Way to step up and make something happen! I hope it brings you lots of rewards and opens lots more doors for you.

Quick Reply: When it is hot. Our cars are slow.