Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Does it annoy you when...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does it annoy you when...?

Ok, so last night I when I got off work I drove over to a buddy's house who just got back into town from College. When I pulled up, my buddy and his dad were actually outside talking to a neighbor. His dad loves my car so naturally he wanted to show it off to the neighbor who happens to be a mechanic. The neighbor gave my car a quick once-over (and approved) and had me start it back up and give it a few quick revs. This brings us to the part of the story when the neighbor starts to become annoying.
As soon as I had shut the car off and closed the hood the neighbor begins to tell me everything about my car. He first started by talking about the history of the GTO. Then he began telling me all about the engine and how big it is (as if the engine size is not already on the car). And finally, he started rambling on about the suspension of the GTO and how it has the identical frame, suspension, and rear end to the z28 (I'm assuming he was talking about the 4th gen). I tried reasoning with the man and telling him that he was wrong, but he refused to believe a word I said. I tried telling him this as respectfully as I could as my goal was not to make him feel stupid. I guess it's true...Mechanics do know everything. After maybe 2 or 3 minutes of going back and forth with this guy and getting nowhere I had to walk away before I started to look like an ******* for trying to make this guy look stupid in front of my friend and his dad, so I made up some stupid excuse about being cold and having to use the bathroom.
So to finish the title, DOES IT ANNOY YOU WHEN PEOPLE TALK OUT OF THEIR ***?

Last edited by thehazz12; 12-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have told him to go ahead and look under the GTO's rear end and point out the parts that are in common with the Z28.

But yes - people like that annoy me.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

After 13 yrs in retail ( not in the car business) i am use to stupidity. Every swingin d... thinks they know it all. Just smile and wait for the right opportunity to graciously put them in there place . Dont be an ***, u dont have to be, because obviously , u are smarter than they are. It is your job to enlighten them. U know , to raise the IQ of human kind.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
I would have told him to go ahead and look under the GTO's rear end and point out the parts that are in common with the Z28.

But yes - people like that annoy me.
I actually invited him to get down and look underneath after telling him the difference between out IRS and the solid axle of the z28. His response: "If I get down I won't be able to get up". After that remark I questioned how skilled a mechanic he could be if he couldn't get underneath a car.

Originally Posted by newschool72
After 13 yrs in retail ( not in the car business) i am use to stupidity. Every swingin d... thinks they know it all. Just smile and wait for the right opportunity to graciously put them in there place . Dont be an ***, u dont have to be, because obviously , u are smarter than they are. It is your job to enlighten them. U know , to raise the IQ of human kind.
You make a valid point. I was being selfish and not thinking about the repercussions this may have on the rest of the world lol.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 PM
BPP
11 Second Club

If people didn't talk out of their *** I would have never found out the gto has the same suspension as the Corvette.

My favorite thing is when people feel the need to tell me everything that gm did wrong with the car
Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BPP
If people didn't talk out of their *** I would have never found out the gto has the same suspension as the Corvette.

My favorite thing is when people feel the need to tell me everything that gm did wrong with the car
GTOs have imperfections!?!?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thehazz12
GTOs have imperfections!?!?
Yes they do!! But they are usually sitting in the drivers seat!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Yes they do!! But they are usually sitting in the drivers seat!
Yep...and I've seen quite a few of them sadly.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I let ignorance bother me every time it reared its head I'd have died a long time ago from the stress. Things are what they are despite what someone says or doesn't say about anything. <shrug>
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by svede1212
If I let ignorance bother me every time it reared its head I'd have died a long time ago from the stress. Things are what they are despite what someone says or doesn't say about anything. <shrug>
You can't tell me it doesn't get on your nerves though. I don't believe that at all. If you're telling someone something and they just refuse to believe it or even consider it it has to annoy you. I didn't let it get out of hand or anything...thus, I walked away.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry it really doesn't anymore. In the big scheme of life and death there really aren't that many really important things. I guess time does that to you if you keep your eyes open along the way. In the 7½ years I've had this car I've been told it's ugly (how are you going to tell someone what they perceive), it's FWD, slow, V6, Japanese, single exhaust, not a "real" GTO (I'm assuming a real one is a Ferrari) and many, many other inane comments. Whatever, I like it.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

The part i love is cranking up in a parking lot as someone walks by. Blows there minds every time . i get comments like " i thought that was 4 cyl ", how can they put a motor that big in there with front wheel drive. The other day, after my goat had set for a couple months and the battery drained down, i decided to drive it around a little, then stop by wallyworld. Well, i didnt drive around long enough for a cranking charge. There happened to be a little old lady putting her bags in her car next to me. when the car wouldnt crank, i jumped out and asked for a jump. After we helped with the rest of her groceries, we hooked up the cables. At this point she had completely ignored the goat, till i turned the key, then "WOW, THATS A NICE CAR". she had to be 80 yrs old and just flipped out when she heard those horses wake up. If i had been 40 yrs older i think she would have jumped in the car for a ride.LOL
Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry it really doesn't anymore. In the big scheme of life and death there really aren't that many really important things. I guess time does that to you if you keep your eyes open along the way. In the 7½ years I've had this car I've been told it's ugly (how are you going to tell someone what they perceive), it's FWD, slow, V6, Japanese, single exhaust, not a "real" GTO (I'm assuming a real one is a Ferrari) and many, many other inane comments. Whatever, I like it.
Well I wish I could have your patience. I've heard a lot of those things too and it doesn't bother me to hear them, but when I tell them no it's rwd v8 and they still don't believe me and tell me I'm wrong (as if I don't know what I'm driving) then I become irritated.

The part i love is cranking up in a parking lot as someone walks by. Blows there minds every time . i get comments like " i thought that was 4 cyl ", how can they put a motor that big in there with front wheel drive. The other day, after my goat had set for a couple months and the battery drained down, i decided to drive it around a little, then stop by wallyworld. Well, i didnt drive around long enough for a cranking charge. There happened to be a little old lady putting her bags in her car next to me. when the car wouldnt crank, i jumped out and asked for a jump. After we helped with the rest of her groceries, we hooked up the cables. At this point she had completely ignored the goat, till i turned the key, then "WOW, THATS A NICE CAR". she had to be 80 yrs old and just flipped out when she heard those horses wake up. If i had been 40 yrs older i think she would have jumped in the car for a ride.LOL
Should have offered lol. I've had some people ask for a ride (people that I somewhat know but not too well like a friend of a friend) and I gladly take them for a drive. But when they ask if they can drive it I'm like "Are you kidding me? I hardly know you...you're not driving my car! GTFO!".
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

The first comment I ever got on my GTO was the night I drove it home. My neighbor told me it wasn't a real GTO, its Australian. Oh and speaking of a detriment to human kind...lmao. This guy picked up a GORGEOUS low mileage LT1 T/A. He insists that it is good for vehicles to rev them up real high as soon as you turn them on to get the oil flowing. My dad, a career mechanic has tried to tell him otherwise a million times, but he won't have it! His Monte Carlo is on its last legs blowin smoke because of this. 25 or 20 degrees and he'll cold start it and rev like a mad man!! I really wish I could save that T/A.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

For the crowd that says it's not a "real" GTO but a rebadged Aussie car I smile and remind them that Ferrari first made a dedicated race car and named it the GTO. Pontiac just stole the name and rebadged a Tempest (later LeMans). Both were "GTOs" because the manufacturer said so just as they did now but if they want to play that game the Ferrari was the "real" one.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

For the crowd that says it's not a "real" GTO but a rebadged Aussie car I smile and remind them that Ferrari first made a dedicated race car and named it the GTO. Pontiac just stole the name and rebadged a Tempest (later LeMans). Both were "GTOs" because the manufacturer said so just as they did now but if they want to play that game the Ferrari was the "real" one.
Could pull that card, he would probably argue me on that lmao. He's a douche. Real great neighbor.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

I've told people the same thing. Some people just can't ever admit they're wrong (my mom included) . I have a '66 convertible GTO, as well. But it's not a real GTO either...just a cloned LeMans with a built 455 . Hasn't ran in 20-25 years. My uncle media blasted it to start restoring it after he drove it through high school and hasn't done anything with it since. He intended to give it to me for my 16th birthday, my 21st birthday is next Thursday and it still hasn't changed. So he's just giving it to me as is (not a problem by me at all) and letting me paint it and finish it.

Originally Posted by chevbon
Could pull that card, he would probably argue me on that lmao. He's a douche. Real great neighbor.
Douche neighbors are the worst. The guy next door to us is a big one. He's the guy that mows his grass in soccer cleats, shorts that are WAY too small, shirtless, and sweatbands for his wrists and head. He's called the cops on me so many times. He used to call them on me for my last car because I had subs in it. Now he calls because of my loud exhaust. I can't wait to finish my '81 Camaro 700hp 5.3 turbo build and roll into the neighborhood with the cutouts open.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Teching In

ive had someone call mine a g6, that really got me going. people can be pretty stupid sometimes. right after they said that i opened her up and blew the doors off of their hatchback lol
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by baileyracing
ive had someone call mine a g6, that really got me going. people can be pretty stupid sometimes. right after they said that i opened her up and blew the doors off of their hatchback lol
Lol. It's always nice to fire it up real quick when people question what it is and ask them, "Does that sound like a G6 or Cobalt to you?".
Old 12-28-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

most people that think its a g6 wouldnt know the difference when u fire it up anyway.

Quick Reply: Does it annoy you when...?