Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New GTO Fascia

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blitzu
I like it, but I really like the fog lamps the way they are... the way you have them makes them sort of look like a mustangs... or a cheap autozone conversion. The round ones are classic for pontiacs, could you make up one with the stock fog lamp look?? I do like it though!
The Round fog lights are something that appeard in the early 90's for Pontiac so I wouldn't say they are "classic Pontiac", but I would agree that recent Pontiacs do have those. As for cheap looking I guess that's a matter of taste, but I do appreciate the input.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GX624
Check out this 2005 GTO spy rendering, middle page

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...it_spy_report/

I think it's an improvement.
The GTO definatley needs some rougher lines to take away the "Cavalier" look. And, the hood scoops are nice. What it needs as well is wider wheel wells. And, stick 2 exhausts on it, one on each side instead of straddled on the one side. Also, how hard would it be to lighten the car down to 3200 lbs?

Nice concept drawing, looks better.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Teching In

I think the only thing that makes the car have the look of a cavilier as people say, is the back end... make that alittle bit more aggresive, I think the front looks good. I am also a previous GP owner that loved the looks of the GP, and this car does look like the grand prix, but packs a nice punch under the hood.... stock!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ActionJack
The GTO definatley needs some rougher lines to take away the "Cavalier" look. And, the hood scoops are nice. What it needs as well is wider wheel wells. And, stick 2 exhausts on it, one on each side instead of straddled on the one side. Also, how hard would it be to lighten the car down to 3200 lbs?

Nice concept drawing, looks better.
Have you seen the car in person? The front fender crease and the crease in the bottom of the fascia in front of either tire never come across in the photographs. The car does NOT look like a cavalier.
I don't mind if you don't like the looks of the car and constructively give comments on what you think it needs for improvement, but you come across as another bashing *** when you start with something so far from the truth as saying it looks like a cavalier.
Dan

Last edited by DANSLS1GTO; 03-22-2004 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
Have you seen the car in person? The front fender crease and the crease in the bottom of the fascia in front of either tire never come across in the photographs. The car does NOT look like a cavalier.
I don't mind if you don't like the looks of the car and constructively give comments on what you think it needs for improvement, but you come across as another bashing *** when you start with something so far from the truth as saying it looks like a cavalier.
Dan

IMO it looks like a Cavalier. I am not Bashing. And you are being the A$$.
I merely pointed out that it needs to look more aggressive and the link to the concept made it look better. Also, I like the GP as well. I hear they will have a V8 shortly. And, I have seen the GTO up cloase and under the hood and under the body and interior. There are some points I likeand some I do not.
But giving me flack because I offered my opinion Contrcutively

Also, it would look better with wider wheel wells and offer more to upgrading traction. IMO
Old 03-22-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO it looks like a Cavalier. I am not Bashing. And you are being the A$$.
I merely pointed out that it needs to look more aggressive and the link to the concept made it look better. Also, I like the GP as well. I hear they will have a V8 shortly. And, I have seen the GTO up cloase and under the hood and under the body and interior. There are some points I likeand some I do not.
But giving me flack because I offered my opinion Contrcutively

Also, it would look better with wider wheel wells and offer more to upgrading traction. IMO
Sorry - maybe I am being an *** - but there is no way anybody who's not blind and deaf would ever mistake the GTO for a cavalier in person. Therefore using that comparison doesn't suit the rest of your 'constructive criticism'. The car may be too plain looking for you and need more fender-wells - but it just gets my goat (pun intended) all of the ignorant comments made about this car by people who have never seen one in person. I really don't want to argue about it - we obviously both are general car - and LS1 - enthusiasts. Just trying to defend my baby from people calling it ugly!
As far as upgrading traction - I haven't reached the point of needing more yet, so I'll form my opinion on that when that time comes. This car is my summer daily driver - so for that application, I have all the traction I need. When I start playing with it - maybe not...
Dan
Old 03-22-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

The Holden Manero they use for racing has the wider wheel wells. Definately nice, I post a link or picture if I come across it.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Dude your Photochop skills kick ***. Regardless if some people on here dont like what you are doing, youve got some real talent.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by maddboost
Dude your Photochop skills kick ***. Regardless if some people on here dont like what you are doing, youve got some real talent.
Thanks!
Old 03-22-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
Thanks!
Nice skills Adam Bruce.

Can you extend the wells? I would really like to see how that would look.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Nice skills Adam Bruce.

Can you extend the wells? I would really like to see how that would look.
That's a little more tricky. Maybe if I get some time later this week I'll give it a try.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, I spent a bit looking at it and I don't think the end result would look that great.

1.) on the rear, there is a huge gap from th main body accent line to the wheel opening.

I think that would further amplify the visual "weight" of the rear end making the rear look larger and the rear wheel, visually smaller.

2.) There are quite a few problem areas on the front.

A.) This body line is rather high and would not fall very gracefully into an arch (as it would be "over it", instead of through it like on a M3).
For Example

B.) The Front Fascia I have chosen has an agressive flare-out that adds a slight bit of drama to the chin terminating at the wheel, either this would be lost (killing the front diffuser look) or would become a little akward and abrupt if kicked right into an arch. It could be reworked but I don't see a gracefull solution to it that would flow.

C.) This marker light is very close to the wheel opening and would either have to be on the wheel arch rise or pushed forward, that would bring it to close to the front IMO. Notice on the HSV AWD monaro it has been removed alltogether. I don't think that would pass NHTSA standards here.

That all said I do sort of like how the HSV monaro looks with it's Wheel Flares, however when you look closely at it you realize it is just "tacked on" rather than part of the body and there are quite a few styling "trouble areas" with it that make it look less graceful than factory.

At any rate, it might be doable, but as I said before my intent with this Photo-chop was to make the car look a little more sophisticated and upscale without making major changes.

At any rate, if I have time later this week I might give it a try. We'll see, thanks for the input!

-Adam
Old 03-23-2004, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be nice if they had a magnuson option.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Adam Bruce - sorry to hijack your thread early - nice work even if I'm in love with my 'plain' GTO. Also, interesting points about the styling of the HSV. I knew I wasn't as in love with it as many are - but I didn't get exactly why until you posted.
I also never noticed the 'reverse' warning sensors until now. I wish somebody could explain why they are unable to mount those behind the bumber and not break the car lines? I know proximity switch technology well enough to know a thin layer of plastic won't interfere - heck the heads of the sensors are a thin layer of plastic. I almost wonder if they do it on purpose to let people know that option is there - but it just looks tacky to me.
Dan
Old 03-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Teching In

here is my version, further modified from Adam's

Old 03-23-2004, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Last nose mod, LOL!!!

Friggin Ricer Elite!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WECIV
Last nose mod, LOL!!!

Friggin Ricer Elite!!!

that bad ehy? i thought it looked alright...
Old 03-23-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

No offense CM, appreciate all your hard work, but it does look a little ricey, Man. Thanks for showing off your skills though!!! It is easy for me to criticize since I cannot even use photo shop!!! THANKS!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cm_ls1
here is my version, further modified from Adam's
That's a different look than what I was going for but I like it, very sporty. Also it's nice to see a Holden fascia on the GTO, I don't think it's ricey at all. I would however, like it a little more if it didn't have the splitter though. Great work matching the color!

BTW, You should add a note "original chop modified by CM_LS1", or something to that effect. These pics have a way from escaping into the wild once you let them loose and even though I would love for folks to think I'm that good at color matching I don't want to steal any of your credit
Old 03-23-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the effort so far. I liked that picture of the HSV.

I love the Audi S4 and it's style and performance. This has potnential and can go different ways. I feel this car may fall in that category later on.

I am looking into a new car for 2006 when my WS6 is paid. I was considering different options.

Quick Reply: New GTO Fascia