Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

exhaust back to front

Old 02-11-2012, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust back to front

i already have the spintech axle back on my goat...i just purchased a universal x pipe to get some better flow...i am working my self up to the headers and have thought about just getting some shorties to save me the head ach of longtubes and new mid pipe.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shorties are for show, longtubes are for go....if you do it in the right order the hardest part is getting the passenger header on....and It's really not that bad. Then take the xsr to and exhaust shop and have them bend you up a mid pipe to meet your exhaust
Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

but i think i wanna keep my stock cats for sniffer purposes
Old 02-11-2012, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The length of the primaries determine the "tuned" RPM of the header. Shorties can work just as well as LTs BUT at a much higher RPM range and in a narrower band. LTs give a bump where you want it and where the cam etc. can use it and are much more desirable for a street car. Absolutely get headers coated as it is not an appearance or longevity mod but a performance mod. Coatings keep the heat in the exhaust keeping it out of the engine bay and keeping the exhaust gases velocity up.

BTW with LTs the passenger's header drops right in from the top. The driver's side on the other hand usually goes in better from the bottom, may need a brace removed or modified and needs the steering rack dropped. It's well worth the effort in the end though.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

i c....well due to a low budget i am trying to keep on this project...these are my plans...to get a cam not sure specs yet...wanna just get shorties due to cost and time to install and having to have no cats or the price to have my mid pipe reworked or having to take it to a muffler shop at all....i would like to do this all myself and getting up under my car is difficult for me do to my facilities lol....with shorties it will be a quick swap...and honestly the long tubes no cats, xpipe and spintechs wow ears may hurt.....any ideas or suggestions i am all ears
Old 02-11-2012, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to do it cheap you can get coated Pacersetter LTs or OBX stainless LTs cheaper that shorties. Just because it's easy doesn't make it better or worth the money. FWIW I'm 62 and did mine on my back with jack stands in my garage and I'm not a mechanic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust back to front