Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Build Thread: 2004 Drift GTO

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice car and a cool build.

just seems strange to me being an old guy. we used to call it "power sliding"...as apposed to "brake sliding"...another maneuver. the actions were generally in response to entering a corner to slow or too hot, but now....its "drifting" and you can get paid for being good at it!

what I wanna know is what do they call the 2 wheeled version? Both power or brake sliding is also possible on two wheels....is it drifting too? What do you call what the dirt track bikes and cars are doing....dirt drifting?

*these are just some things I find myself thinking about.. and are not to be used as an indicator that I think drifting is not a sport. It does take a certain talent...
Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Teching In

I hear ya oldschool. Drifting is hard to define. Some say it's like figure skating vs hockey. I tend to disagree with that analog. To me it's more like freestyle skiing vs racing downhill skiing. Or freestyle motoX vs enduro racing.

I've never Ever call it racing since that's not the point of it. Is it a sport? I don't know. But to me it's never mattered cause the only reason I do it is because it's the most fun I've had in a car.

There have been some videos recently about motorcycle drifting. Not too familiar on what they call that. I mean sliding is a part of lots of Motorsports: motoX, rally, ice racing, dirt oval. I don't have the answer for you there old school.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always thought of drifting as a practice of skill to beable to stay "just" on the verge of under control without losing it
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Hey guys lots of updates. Been lazy and haven't gotten around to keeping this updated.

So for those of you interested in drifting you GTO, I just did a FormulaD ProAm event and qualified 10th on a stock car. Only modifications were a racing seat and roll cage (plus driveshaft/haftshafts). So these cars are driftable STOCK!!! just make sure to fill up your oil over the top.

^these broke!! I've broken one, my friend has broken 2! the cast iron on GTO knuckles may not like welding (240sx knuckles took to welding pretty well and I never had an issue with braking a knuckle). We did different techniques. I TIG'd mine, he MIG'd his. He used a blow torch before and after... So for now I recommend do not cut/weld your knuckles.

reparied my ebrake:

holds good now
Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Teching In

DRIFTING!!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Teching In

one more

now tomorrow I'm driving in a demo on the streets of detroit, so I felt I needed to step up my style game a little. If anyone is in Michigan, it'll be at the old Model T factory: 411 Piquette. Should be fun. Say hi, I'd love to talk to other GTO owners and gain some more insight (still very unfamiliar with domestics)

Here are some E60 BMW 550i wheels (Style 124). 18x8+20 and 18x9+32

Will probably need to roll the inner a lip a couple mm. But it's ok without roll/grind.

I also picked up a more aggresive set of BMW wheels (a secret of now). Can't wait to put those on.

Quick Reply: Build Thread: 2004 Drift GTO