Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO's and Tramlining?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GTO's and Tramlining?

I'm getting a tired of my 4th gen tramlining, its especially annoying when hitting groves in that pull you into rain puddles - not cool when slowing down from high speeds...

I've been doing some homework and tramlining does not seem to be a common characteristic on GTO's? or is there a lack of complaints?

Please advise. I need to seriously reconsider my platform.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably because Gto's run a smaller wheel stock so has a smaller tire. 245s factory if I remember right. They have smaller fenders so they need work to run what fbody guys can run on a stock fbody fender without issues.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best answer is test drive one. The ride in a GTO is awesome. The suspensions are different and most likely account for the improvement in addition to a little more weight. I run 255/275 so the tires are roughly the same size as most 4th gens.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Older, dried out tires and or tire pressures play a big role. Alignment also.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

I drive both cars. And for me it is more of a road issue than car issue. I don't think going to a GTO is going to solve the problem.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buellxb12s
Probably because Gto's run a smaller wheel stock so has a smaller tire. 245s factory if I remember right. They have smaller fenders so they need work to run what fbody guys can run on a stock fbody fender without issues.
This!

The roads up here suck, my old Mustang would get sucked into the grooves on most of the main roads. I haven't had any issues w/ the GTO on the same roads.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
This!

The roads up here suck, my old Mustang would get sucked into the grooves on most of the main roads. I haven't had any issues w/ the GTO on the same roads.
I used to run 245's up front, now have 265's on all 4 corners -90% thread. The 245's actually tramlined much more.

My setup - All front/rear bushings have been replaced with MOOG. Front Tie Rods are new. Have been aligned twice this year.

The only stock suspension component on my ride is the torque arm (trying to save the rear from going boom). *have not installed a bump steer kit though.

The tires I have on now are stiff sidewall tires, and I realize tramlining is worsened with them stiff sidewalls.. I can keep the car straight, its just annoying having so much lateral forces excerted to keep the damn thing straight on bad grooved roads...

Quick Reply: GTO's and Tramlining?