Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Resonators

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonators

Just curious, has anyone tried removing the stock resonators from the exhaust. I am interested to see if there are any gains to be made from this. (power or sound) It seems like it would have to free up the flow some. I just don't know what it would do to the sound quality. If I had the time I would run it by a local muffler shop and have it done, but by the time I get off work they are all closed.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure about freeing anything up hp wise. A couple of exhaust manufacturers were trying out full cat-back systems and got minimal to no gains. It sounds like there isn't much hp there w/o going to headers.
Now, the manuals say that resonators are used to allow higher flowing mufflers and still get a quieter sound. You might get a louder sound w/o them - not sure how much it would change the sound though.
Dan
Old 04-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I had heard that the stock exhaust flows pretty good. If anyone decides to try this as a cheap mod for a louder exhaust please post so that we know what it does to the sound quality and the loudness.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'd like to hear one like this! I really want to hear a GTO with a cam, longtubes, no cats and the stock catback. I bet that would sound hardcore!
Old 04-25-2004, 07:20 AM
Teching In

I had my car on the dyno last week. We unhooked the exhaust just past the resonators and it only picked up 1.5 hp. He also stuck a rod through the pipe into the resonators to see what was there and it went straight through so he doesn't think there is much restriction there either. Our belief is the restriction lies in the cats and manifolds. FYI, the car wasn't much louder at all without the mufflers. I would consider losing the resnoators for some extra sound until I do the headers/exhaust.

Dave

Quick Reply: Resonators