Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

DuSpeed OTRCAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svede1212
Don't forget the tune with a different MAF. I tune my own car but that's an expense for most people.
I own the software and wideband but only do it to log and make minimal changes. For how deep I am now with mods, the tuning portion is over my head. Luckily my new neighbor tunes and doesn't mind doing it for a 6 pack of beer.

To the above poster, just depends on the car actually. Svede intake would do that with some cars and some cars it wouldn't. The tolerances on this car are just a little too wide I think. My motor sits a little lower so we shall see how this one sits. Hoping to get it back this week.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my DuSpeed

Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Commissar;17375219]Definitely the best looking and one of the most effective CAI on the market for the GTO. Think I gained about 40/40 with this over stock box with K&N Filter. Just be aware that you will have to cut the fan shroud, raise the hood, and it will still rub. The paint will not stay looking perfect for long.[QUOTE]

Filter opening area appears less than the Svede.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Felix C;17419124][QUOTE=Commissar;17375219]Definitely the best looking and one of the most effective CAI on the market for the GTO. Think I gained about 40/40 with this over stock box with K&N Filter. Just be aware that you will have to cut the fan shroud, raise the hood, and it will still rub. The paint will not stay looking perfect for long.

Filter opening area appears less than the Svede.
Whats your point? most of the filter on svedes design is useless. The bottom portion gets choked off. Nearly all of the airflow is in the upper portion of the filter. One of my friends picked up around 10/10 if I recall correctly going from Svede to Duspeed. If you can affod one, Duspeed is the way to go.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Commissar;17419941][QUOTE=Felix C;17419124]
Originally Posted by Commissar
Definitely the best looking and one of the most effective CAI on the market for the GTO. Think I gained about 40/40 with this over stock box with K&N Filter. Just be aware that you will have to cut the fan shroud, raise the hood, and it will still rub. The paint will not stay looking perfect for long.

Whats your point? most of the filter on svedes design is useless. The bottom portion gets choked off. Nearly all of the airflow is in the upper portion of the filter. One of my friends picked up around 10/10 if I recall correctly going from Svede to Duspeed. If you can affod one, Duspeed is the way to go.
The Svede intake has never been criticized as lacking performance for the item you mention. If you need to justify your purchase then so be it. Hearsay gains have no weight.

Last edited by Felix C; 05-22-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Commissar;17419941][QUOTE=Felix C;17419124]
Definitely the best looking and one of the most effective CAI on the market for the GTO. Think I gained about 40/40 with this over stock box with K&N Filter. Just be aware that you will have to cut the fan shroud, raise the hood, and it will still rub. The paint will not stay looking perfect for long.

I use a DuSpeed on our daily driver, which is simply a basic bolton LS2 with a tune.

Even this runs faster without the filter.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's my Duspeed. I refinished it with a textured finish to match the intake manifold:

Attached Thumbnails DuSpeed OTRCAI-2012-09-22-14-17-51.jpg  
Old 06-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Its as much of an appearance mod as it is a performance mod but that price is hard to swallow.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Add up all the options to get the Svede unit to look and come with everything the duspeed already comes with and your at about the same price. But the Duspeed has looks on its side and I've heard several people swap out the svede for it and picked up more hp/tq, minimal but still picked up some. I plan on racing mine with the filter out. I had mine repainted since it was chipped adn looks gorgeous now. I'll have to upload some test fit pics to see it along with the painted fast to match.

To the above poster, nothing is cheap to do to this car so get use to it quick.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

I've never seen a valid post of those points. I have however never seen so much religion as with intakes either. . . maybe headers.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

I've never seen a valid post of those points. I have however never seen so much religion as with intakes either. . . maybe headers.
J-Cash posted up results on ls1gto I believe moving from Svede to Duspeed. I believe he gained around 10/10.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

J-Cash posted up results on ls1gto I believe moving from Svede to Duspeed. I believe he gained around 10/10.
He claimed to gain 5 which is without meaning. BTW the bottom of the filter is not "useless" and I have not idea where you get your ideas from except enthusiasm. I understand the DuSpeed appeal but it isn't day/night and the cost for that is significantly higher. Pick your poison.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

just wondering ...... how much is one of these?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And camshaft selection especially CUSTOM camshaft selection where to buy.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

He claimed to gain 5 which is without meaning. BTW the bottom of the filter is not "useless" and I have not idea where you get your ideas from except enthusiasm. I understand the DuSpeed appeal but it isn't day/night and the cost for that is significantly higher. Pick your poison.
Simple airflow. The bottom of the filter gets choked. All the airflow is coming from the top of the filter. Just think path of least resistance, pretty easy to see. I have nothing against the svede, it is a good intake. You did a great job in making it. Aesthetically it is not appealing, that is why I prefer the duspeed.

What do you mean "without meaning"? Same dyno, same day... can't get much more direct comparison than that.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Does anyone know how the LS3 MAF is mounted under the DuSpeed? Do you need a mounting plate for the MAF or does it just get screwed in?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Manolo
Does anyone know how the LS3 MAF is mounted under the DuSpeed? Do you need a mounting plate for the MAF or does it just get screwed in?
I figured out where I wanted to mount it and used the gasket to mark the location. Then used a dremel and a file to make the rectangular hole and a drill to make holes for the bolts. I used small allen head bolts with nylock nuts inside the intake to secure it. I used Eastwood's Flexible Strip Caulk as a gasket to seal it.

Also, I glued an air smoother honeycomb directly in front of the MAF. It's hard to tune without the smoother because of how close the MAF is to the throttle body and intake manifold.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
I figured out where I wanted to mount it and used the gasket to mark the location. Then used a dremel and a file to make the rectangular hole and a drill to make holes for the bolts. I used small allen head bolts with nylock nuts inside the intake to secure it. I used Eastwood's Flexible Strip Caulk as a gasket to seal it.

Also, I glued an air smoother honeycomb directly in front of the MAF. It's hard to tune without the smoother because of how close the MAF is to the throttle body and intake manifold.
From here the MAF looks like its at an angle and the pipe is not constant diameter. I'm surprised that hasn't given you issues.

Simple airflow. The bottom of the filter gets choked. All the airflow is coming from the top of the filter. Just think path of least resistance, pretty easy to see. I have nothing against the svede, it is a good intake. You did a great job in making it. Aesthetically it is not appealing, that is why I prefer the duspeed.

What do you mean "without meaning"? Same dyno, same day... can't get much more direct comparison than that.
Small effect sizes need many multiple trials to meet significance standards. Especially when dynos are not 100% reliable and valid tools of measurement. Don't forget intakes are difficult to measure on the dyno since they can't actually simulate being on the road.

A 1% difference between a single set of 2 dyno runs on a car standing still when in real life it will be moving is enough to determine the Svede is inferior? LOL

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 06-14-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
From here the MAF looks like its at an angle and the pipe is not constant diameter. I'm surprised that hasn't given you issues.
It's at an angle, but not to the airflow. And why would it give me issues? You just tune it and adjust the MAF table. It's not rocket surgery.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:21 AM
11 Second Club

Before you cut make sure its far enough back in the inlet so that it doesn't hit the bellhousing on the water pump.

Quick Reply: DuSpeed OTRCAI