Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

04 gto Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 gto Exhaust question

Hey, there thanks anyone who takes the time to read this. I'm new to the forum as in newly registered but had help from old forum posts in the past.
Now I have a 04 goat I'm looking to do exhaust work to it I have a shop that said he'd do a full custom for 500$, but I also found a guy on Craigslist that has corsa db black mufflers, and an x pipe that hed give to me for 300$.
I know the 05,06 exhaust setup I'll have to cut my bumper which is what I'm planning on doing but my question is those mufflers should fit as long as I run the cut bumper right? Nothing else should conflict?

And which would y'all rather go with full custom exhaust or db blacks?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

if u have the money go headers and custom exhaust.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Nothing will conflict but you will need to modify the rear belly pan and you will need to add hanger mounts on the passenger side to run 05/06 style exhaust.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want split exhaust which I am guessing you do since you are cutting the bumper. Your only 04 options are Spintech and JBA exhaust or some custom work obviously. If you buy a catback for 05-06 cars then you HAVE to buy 05-06 mid pipes as well and LT headers.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:16 PM

Yes, I do want split exhaust true duals like the 05 and 06's, I live in Houston and no shops want to cut my bumper, but I had one shop that was wishy washy so he put it on the loft and looked at it he was saying not only would I have to cut my bumper of have to take that plastic panel on the right side of the bumper off, add a heat shield to match the driver side exhaust so my trunk doesn't burn up, and Mount the corsa mufflers near the rear bumper right in the gap where the heat shields are.
So what are my rear bumper options?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

You can switch your bumper to a 05/06 bumper or you can cut the bumper to provide a notch on the passenger side. I can't recall the brand name, but there is a company that makes a kit that tells you where and how much to cut and provides a piece of trim that finishes off the new cut to mimick the OEM cut on the driver's side.

FYI: the 04s already have a true dual exhaust, both pipes simply exit on the same side.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Headers before catback. And the stock 04 GTO catback is the best sound with headers.

Mine.

fly by:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13717087276279
Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paradoxic70
Yes, I do want split exhaust true duals like the 05 and 06's, I live in Houston and no shops want to cut my bumper, but I had one shop that was wishy washy so he put it on the loft and looked at it he was saying not only would I have to cut my bumper of have to take that plastic panel on the right side of the bumper off, add a heat shield to match the driver side exhaust so my trunk doesn't burn up, and Mount the corsa mufflers near the rear bumper right in the gap where the heat shields are.
So what are my rear bumper options?
http://www.pfyc.com/supportfiles/inserttemplates.pdf

http://www.pfyc.com/supportfiles/gt5009template.pdf

Print both of those and take them to a body shop...any body shop with half a brain can do the cut. You yourself with a dremel could do it I did mine and it came out perfectly fine just take your time and follow instructions. Yes there is a plastic piece on that side that will have to come off for the exhaust outlet on that side.

If the cut isn't perfect you can always but these inserts have them painted and put in for a clean OEM look.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GT5009/GTEXH/...+2004+GTO.html

IMO the 04 bumper cut looks much cleaner then the 05-06 rear bumper.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Hey Joey surprisingly that sounds very close almost identical to what I have one my car right now I'm the 2nd owner of my goat, but it seems like I still have manifolds and the shop said I had flow master 10's would you mind taking a quick snap shot of your exhaust setup?

Also @ jmurray yeah I was doing research that was what I was planning on doing because I also like my bumper more the 05-06 remind me of the v6 mustangs with the plastic piece but the shop kind of deterred me away bc he said I needed a heat shield To run the dual exhaust ports.

And I need to run the 05 06 type of exhaust because I have a pair of corsa fb blacks sitting waiting to be welded up but they are too big to fit in the stock 04 system they have to be in the notches where the 04 stock heat shield is, and behind that plastic piece where I need to add a heat shield on the passenger side. Atleast that's what the shop said these mufflers are a decent size but they were on my buddys 04 goat with the 05 06 bumper
Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 AM

Jmurray did you have to add a heat shield you said you ran your 04 with duals correct the exhuast shop SWORE I'd have to have one your trunk doesn't get really hot does it?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Paradoxic70
Yes, I do want split exhaust true duals like the 05 and 06's...
You do know the 04 has true duals too, right?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Think he means SPLIT true duals...I hope. It's very common for people to think 04s are not true dual stock because of the single side exit.

No I didn't add a heat shield to that side haven't noticed any need to so far.

Quick Reply: 04 gto Exhaust question