Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO starting issues

I have a 2006 GTO. It will not start when the car is hot either from engine heat, sun, outside air, etc. It acts like a kill switch has been turned on. I changed out the clutch pedal switch and that did not cure the problem. I put in a bypass switch where I connect to the positive terminal of the battery and push a button and it starts right up. Does anyone have any idea where the problem might lie? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Almost impossible to say but since it will start with a bypass, it proves it isn't the starter itself.

The obvious place I would start would be to check that you have good connections at BOTH ends of each battery cable. Next, check the BCM harness which may not be involved but still worth checking on ANY electrical issue: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ight=check+bcm

If those don't solve the issue, you might want to examine the ignition switch itself next and then the starter circuit relay. I had a fuel pump relay on my Honda that had a crack in a solder joint that would open on hot days (the relay is in the interior) so if you roll down the windows and let it cool off it would start.

Quick Reply: GTO starting issues