Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Ignition Lock won't Turn at all

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition Lock won't Turn at all

Hi, I was reading over the Ignition Lock fixing guide and not sure how I can take the lock apart if I can't even get the ignition to turn at all? Anyone have an idea? The write up says to turn the key in the on position and then use an Allen Wrench or Drill Bit to push a pin to release the cylinder.

What can I do if I cannot get the switch to turn to the on position? There a trick to do it? Anyone know what a paperclip trick is? Couldn't find any real info on that. My wife's car is an 04 GTO. Thanks

Jason
Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Teching In

No one have even a suggestion?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paper Clip Trick is bold.

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-02-35-003

Date: February 12, 2009
Subject:
Ignition Lock Cannot Be Turned from Locked Position, Excessive Effort Needed to Turn Key from Lock to On (Install New Ignition Lock Housing)

Models:
2006 Pontiac GTO

Condition
Some customers may comment that the ignition key cannot be turned from the lock position or it takes excessive effort to turn the
ignition key from "Lock" to "On".

Once the key is in the "On" position, it operates normally. The key can also be inserted and removed normally.

Cause

This condition may be caused by excessive wear at the detent ramp at the base of the ignition lock barrel housing. This wear results in the ramp progressively wearing away, creating a step. Once this occurs, the key cannot be turned as the locking pin will no loner ride up the ramp when attempting to turn the ignition "On".

Correction
Important:
Confirm that the symptoms are what is described in the Condition statement above. Difficulty in inserting or removing the key or in operation of the lock other than from "Lock" to "On" indicates that a different condition may be present.

A lock housing with revised material and ramp profile has been developed. Replace the lock housing following the procedure below.
Important:
Take care when removing the lock barrel so that the tumblers will not be dislodged or damaged. This procedure allows the existing barrel to be used without the need to re-code the tumblers or replace the barrel.

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.

2. Remove the knee bolster assembly. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.

3. Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement.

4. Tilt the column to the lowest position and telescope the column to the longest position.

5. Disconnect the key reader wiring harness connector (1), ignition lock illumination socket (2) and bulb (3) from the key reader assembly (4).
Note
The ignition barrel lock cylinder can be removed with the steering wheel installed. However, the steering wheel is not shown in the graphic above for clarity.

6. Carefully pull the key reader from the ignition lock assembly housing.

7. The next step is to remove the lock cylinder from the steering column. This requires that the ignition be turned to the "On" position. If condition described in this bulletin prevents the key from being turned, it will be necessary to depress the lock barrel into the housing to relieve the force on the locking pin.

Failure Mode Identification
^ Ignition lock jammed.

^ Key can be removed, but when inserted, cannot turn.

The ignition lock release process must be completed prior to removal of the ignition barrel.

Tools Capable of Completing Task

^ Thin steel wire

^ Paperclip

^ Flat steel section

^ Pen lid pocket clip (as shown above)

^ Thin flat screwdriver

1. With the key out of the ignition, slide the tool down between the lock barrel and the lock housing. There is a small notch in the lip around the cylinder housing at the bottom of the housing. The slider pin is located approximately 4 mm (0.16 in) clockwise from this notch. Figure A

The aim is to locate the slider pin (Figure A) and depress it back into the barrel (Figure B).
Note
Figures A and B are shown with the barrel removed from the housing to illustrate the slider pin location.

2. As the slider pin is being restrained by the tool, push the lock barrel back into the housing (refer to photo above). When the barrel has been pushed in, the tool can be removed. Ensure that pressure remains on the barrel.

3. The last step is to re-insert the key. When the key has been fully inserted, the pressure can be released and they key can be turned.

8. Insert the ignition key (3) into the barrel and turn the key to the "On" position.

9. Insert a 2.5 mm (0.1 in) diameter pin (1) into the locking pin hole. Depress the spring-loaded barrel locking latch to release the lock cylinder.
Note
An Allen wrench could be used as an alternative.

10. Remove the pin and pull the barrel (2) from the lock housing. Ensure that they key is NOT removed from the barrel.

Caution:
Release the pin slowly after rotating past the rotation stop to prevent it from ejecting under spring force.It is also recommended that eye protection be worn during this step, as the pin, if released suddenly, will eject with significant force.

11. Locate the locking pin at the end of the barrel as shown. Depress this pin against spring pressure and rotate the barrel fully counterclockwise past the rotation stop.

12. Remove the pin from the barrel. The barrel can now be removed from the housing.

13. Insert the existing barrel into the new housing, GM P/N 92234035.

14. Refer to the Installation Procedure of Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement in SI for reassembly steps.

Last edited by Tim94gt; 07-16-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Thank you greatly buddy! Will definitely check it out
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem man, good luck.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot!, I actually got the lock out. Now to try 'fixing' it.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Thanks greatly for the help! Its now working good and my wife loves me again.

Jason
Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM

GM also made a revision to the key locking cylinders where the pin is ramped down instead of dropped. Mine was fixed that way. There is also a new part # for it.

Edit: didn't read all of the above post. Glad it's working again!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

The way I fixed mine was getting a bottle of graphite lube and blasting it in the cylinder and around the ring its self, keep in mind this stuff goes every where so keep a microfiber cloth handy. After doing this I never had another problem out if it, good luck man.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:38 PM

Default Having same issue. 06 gto, key wont turn

Theres no pics on the post, you have any? Would be greatly appreciated

Quick Reply: Ignition Lock won't Turn at all