Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

chugging/choking start up HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chugging/choking start up HELP

ok my 06 gto has been having this repeat problem seems to me like a computer glitch of some sort but i have no idea on how to fix it even stumps my mech! so what the car is doing, it chokes nd has a hard time starting (once it start it runs fine) the temperature gauge in the car never comes up even when the car is warm. took it to my mech when the prob first started he said it was a coolant temp sensor so he replaced it for me nd cleared the codes worked fine for 2 weeks then came right back same probs as b4! he said it mabe the sensor was defective so he replaced it cleared the codes worked fine then came right back! so i stopped by the shop had him clear the trouble codes nd that did it temp gauge popped right up/ nd no issues on start up since then it happened again i found if i just pop the battery, that resets it nd all is well for about 2 weeks nd the prob comes back!! i know this is not right but i have no clue what the heck it is or how to fix it!

o and when this prob occurs the water temp is fine engine does to overheat
Old 11-15-2013, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Stop taking your car to that "mech" as he obviously isn't capable of doing anything more than replacing parts.

2) What codes were set?

3) Paragraphs are your friend. If you use them, more people will be willing to read your post and help you....
Old 11-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) the mechanic (better?) is one i know and trust. if not him who would you recommend then? a dealer ship... mabe but ive only ever have had bad experiences with them.

2) i dont have a diagnostic scan tool so i cant tell you what the exact code that came up. nor am i a mechanic myself, thats why i came here. all i know is it had something to do with the coolant temperature sensor.

3) hmm ls1tech = writing lesson....granted im not the best writer but im looking for help with a car any and all help with that would be greatly appreciated! otherwise and dont bother posting.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShOtZfIrEd88
1) the mechanic (better?) is one i know and trust. if not him who would you recommend then? a dealer ship... mabe but ive only ever have had bad experiences with them.
There is two ways to fix a car. Throw parts at it until the problem goes away or diagnose the problem and repair it. From what I read in your original post, your mechanic falls into the first category. I may be wrong though.

2) i dont have a diagnostic scan tool so i cant tell you what the exact code that came up. nor am i a mechanic myself, thats why i came here. all i know is it had something to do with the coolant temperature sensor.
It's hard to help without knowing what codes are set. All that you will get is more suggestions on parts to replace. Go to autozone and ask them to scan it for you. You could also buy one yourself, they have cheap code readers on amazon and ebay.

https://www.google.com/#q=code+reader&safe=off&tbm=shop

3) hmm ls1tech = writing lesson....granted im not the best writer but im looking for help with a car any and all help with that would be greatly appreciated! otherwise and dont bother posting.
I wasn't trying to be a dick, just giving you a suggestion if you want to get any help fixing your car. Since your original post is hard to read, most people won't bother trying. That's why you had over 100 views and only 1 sarcastic response from me, lol.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this:
Key OFF, hold the "Mode and Set" buttons down at the same time and then turn the key ON without starting, it will allow you access to hidden menus, codes are in there as well as a true temperature readout among others. Once in the hidden menu just scroll with the up/down buttons. You must use the Mode/Set buttons with the key off to get into it every time though.

Quick Reply: chugging/choking start up HELP