Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2004 differential problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 differential problems

im new here and im not sure if this is the right place to post my question but what the hell. does anyone on this forum own a 2004-2006 pontiac GTO? can anyone tell me which direction do i turn my side bearing adjusting screw (adjusters) on my differential? are they a left hand thread or standard? i cant get either of them loose and need to know the best way to get them off and if i am even turning the right direction. anybody ever rebuild one of these differentials?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue is that they are aluminum threaded into cast iron and are impossible to get out easily. You will need new ones more than likely. Give 2QWK (Mike) a call, he is the GTO rear diff guru.

Last edited by Buzzmanb12; 05-11-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

They're standard, just hard to turn. The right tool helps alot. I modified a 4 inch C clamp with the grinder so it would fit the adjuster. Then inserted a pipe in the clamp to turn it. Much easier. The actual tool is just too expensive.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks man! both of you, yeah i tried modifying my own tool and even had a guy weld fingers on this gig socket and they bent. G-force wants 120.00 for there tool and it looks like i may have to buy it. but first id like to see this C-clamp tool or explain how to make it in a little more detail if you would anything to save some money here cause im not only having to rebuild the differential it looks like i have to buy a driveshaft as well but i love my car so whatever it throws at me it gets. thanks again i will give that guy a call
Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry I didn't give more detail. First off, it's a 3 incher, not 4. I cut the screw out and used a grinder to make "teeth" on each end that fit into the adjuster. You should be able to see that in this picture.

Then I held the clamp against the adjuster and inserted a small pipe to give me leverage for turning. This should give you the idea.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 differential problems-3clamp.jpg   2004 differential problems-tool.jpg  
Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

Genius! That is the kind of stuff I do, thanx for posting pics.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know about genius. But it is cheap.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Teching In

thats awesome dude! really good idea!, did you heat it up at all? just curious because im getting mixed reviews about it. plus i know it wouldnt hurt to heat up the iron because it will expand but the alluminum i hear is a different story. anyway ill try this c-clamp method now.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

No heat, just muscle. I was able turn them with one hand on the pipe. It was hard, but they will turn.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Adjusters seize all the time. I have new and used ones available if they get damaged. I also have custom tools to remove them if you wanna send your diff over. That's just half the battle, getting it back on and torqued to proper specs is another battle few know how to handle.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Well unfortunatly the modified c-clamp didnt work for me, my c-clamp is bent like a noodle. so i got ahold of g-force and bought the damn tool and i still cant break this thing loose. I obviously have a worst case senario on my hands here. Ive already snaped a half inch rachet and its starting to look like that i may end up rounding off my hex where i place the socket on the tool i just bought. now it seems to just want to pry itself out of the adjuster so ive gently put a c-clamp on the tool too the housing holding it in so it doesnt come flying out again and its still not working. If buzzmanb12 happens to read this i lost mike the guru`s number i think i should give him a ring if you could send or post his # for me again it would be much appreciated. and if anyone has any experience at this please share your advise. im about reading to drill these out if you know what i mean.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Then I'd say you have the worse case scenario.

Sorry bud.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

I sent Mike a text, you should hear from him by PM.
Buzz
Old 05-21-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by crissaxeshred
Well unfortunatly the modified c-clamp didnt work for me, my c-clamp is bent like a noodle. so i got ahold of g-force and bought the damn tool and i still cant break this thing loose. I obviously have a worst case senario on my hands here. Ive already snaped a half inch rachet and its starting to look like that i may end up rounding off my hex where i place the socket on the tool i just bought. now it seems to just want to pry itself out of the adjuster so ive gently put a c-clamp on the tool too the housing holding it in so it doesnt come flying out again and its still not working. If buzzmanb12 happens to read this i lost mike the guru`s number i think i should give him a ring if you could send or post his # for me again it would be much appreciated. and if anyone has any experience at this please share your advise. im about reading to drill these out if you know what i mean.
You have a pm.

Quick Reply: 2004 differential problems