Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Question about the A4 and the M6

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the A4 and the M6

I've never driven stick before so It's hard to see myself getting a M6 GTO. I've been doing alot of research and I came accross a post where a guy said that an A4 can't be "modded" to go any faster. Is this true? I'm a newbie when it comes to superchargers/heads/cams

Thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can do a whole lot of stuff with an A4 transmission car. Bone stock, you will have slightly less performance, mostly due to torque management in the computer. That can be fixed with tuning / programming. I've driven a stick all my life and certainly couldn't imagine buying this car with an automatic - but that's just me. The A4 guys seem to be having just as much fun driving and modding their cars.
Also - the A4 is generally better for turning more consistent quick times in drag racing.
Dan
Old 05-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, I'll probably end up goin with the automatic just because I've never driven standard. My only worry is the gas mileage. Do you think the specs are that reliable and the standard will get up to 7 more miles per gallon highway than the automatic?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm getting 15 average with my M6. If i can actually drive and not sit in traffic - I'd be getting high teens. I've seen very similar numbers for daily driving from the autos. I haven't had a real chance to run it on the highway - but from other discussions it appears 25+ is doable with the m6 and only highway miles. The 29 appears to be running like 60 in 6th - which seems like a bit low on the RPM's to cruise for me.
Of course, in the grand scheme of things if you are that worried about gas mileage you shouldn't be buying a GTO
Dan
Old 05-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Or an LSX car of any sort. LOL

Pat
Old 05-20-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have a friend with a stick shift vehicle, you may see if they'll teach you how to drive it. The 6spd was the most important option for me on my car and I couldn't see driving it with a slushbox. I realize I'm a little extreme, but if you're going to drop $30k on a car, I'd at least try a stick before doing so.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jessdub99
Thanks for the reply, I'll probably end up goin with the automatic just because I've never driven standard. My only worry is the gas mileage. Do you think the specs are that reliable and the standard will get up to 7 more miles per gallon highway than the automatic?
I just did a 650 trip from western to eastern Washington with about 50 miles of non freeway driving. Cruise control was set at 80. (A few seconds at 125 ;-) I got 20.0 mpg which is what I expected. That is with an A4.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:24 AM
Banned

Auto GTOs are good, easier to find, BMR's auto GTO is running 11.44. The modifications you can do to a 4L60E (GTOs trans) could fill a book, torque converter, shift kit, removing torque managment, vette servo etc.

the predator tuner makes a auto GTO fast.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
Auto GTOs are good, easier to find, BMR's auto GTO is running 11.44. The modifications you can do to a 4L60E (GTOs trans) could fill a book, torque converter, shift kit, removing torque managment, vette servo etc.

the predator tuner makes a auto GTO fast.
Go with the stick,more fun to drive! cubs
Old 05-25-2004, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Talking M6 gas mileage

Dan:

I just took a 150 mile trip from Denver to Colorado Springs and back in my M6, mostly highway miles but maybe 20 miles in the city. Average mpg according to the computer was about 21.3. But that's doing a steady speed of 85 to 90 on the highway, with some significant hills from 5,280 to 7,500. (Attn: Colorado Highway Patrol, this is an alleged speed; I think I was probably misreading the speedo . . .) The gas mileage, according to the instant MPG readout, decreases significantly from 75 to 85 or 90, despite the car's good aerodynamics. It's nearly impossible to always drive this car like the Mobil Economy Run (hey, am I showing my age by remembering that?). After all, what's the point of having a GTO unless you get a little blast of acceleration every once in awhile? I think at a real world, steady speed of 70 to 80 mph on a long trip, you could probably squeeze out 25 or 26. But even then, when I get that occasional opening, it's too much fun to shift down to 5th and floor it . . .Can't keep this goat on a leash.

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
I'm getting 15 average with my M6. If i can actually drive and not sit in traffic - I'd be getting high teens. I've seen very similar numbers for daily driving from the autos. I haven't had a real chance to run it on the highway - but from other discussions it appears 25+ is doable with the m6 and only highway miles. The 29 appears to be running like 60 in 6th - which seems like a bit low on the RPM's to cruise for me.
Of course, in the grand scheme of things if you are that worried about gas mileage you shouldn't be buying a GTO
Dan
Old 05-25-2004, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah - I think part of my problem is that I get bored sitting in traffic - so I want to hear the exhaust sound. All that extra revving can't help with the mileage
Every time I get on the freeway with this car I'm amazed. I can't believe what an awesome highway cruising car this is. Steady, smooth and comfortable and all the grunt you need to change lanes / pass / etc.
Dan
Old 06-04-2004, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Lightbulb Tuned

Originally Posted by jessdub99
My A4 shifts quick and solid like a performance auto should now with the Predator tune, and I averaged 22.4 MPG on an 80 mile shakedown cruise, street and highway, but mostly highway at 72 MPH cruise. That help?
Old 06-05-2004, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Old Goat
My A4 shifts quick and solid like a performance auto should now with the Predator tune, and I averaged 22.4 MPG on an 80 mile shakedown cruise, street and highway, but mostly highway at 72 MPH cruise. That help?
Not to hijack the thread, but I just got my a4 Formula recently and I was thinking of making my first purchase the Predator. I also have an m6 Formula and I am disappointed in the stock a4 performance. I figured that if I spent the 400 bucks on the tuner I could get some tranny performance as well as the fuel/timing tuned. How big of an improvement did the Predator make? I have a wife and two kids so my performance dollars have to be spent wisely. Thanks for any info guys.