Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Cheap Ebay "stainless headers"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by audacious nick
You notched and compromised your frame for some shitty eBay headers? AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What an idiot.
and people tell me im too harsh and forward lol.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix C
Collector is 3". The 2.5" is the piping after the collector. Poor text work on the part of the vendor using whatever the manuf. provided them.
http://screencast.com/t/vqSetsXv
Ah. I read it as a 2.5" collector.

Originally Posted by Felix C
Is that a catalytic or reasonator at the collector? I wrote the vendor and he wrote back resonator but there should not be any.
It looks like a resonator. I have a set of OBX headers I'm installing on my truck and they came with resonators where the cats used to be. It should help with any drone that may have came about from removing the cats.

On the plus side, they also look like cats.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:54 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domesticated Euro
Wow, you presume to know everything about me, but you don't know anything about what I did except what i told you. It seems you are the idiot. What I changed on MY car has nothing to do with you so you can just go back where you came from.

As for anybody else, what I notched on my frame is no different than drilling a half inch hole in it which won't affect the integrity of it AT ALL, since it is a completely boxed in frame rail. I am a mechanic and I do know a bit about structure on a car. putting a small notch in that could easily be filled in with a small weld if I wanted was easier than spending an extra 500 dollars for the so called "better" headers.
You don't know **** about integrity. You drilled a hole in it, aka it's now weaker. And Paceshitters and OBX headers, despite being cheap as hell, still don't require such ghetto modifications.

And being a mechanic doesn't mean you know anything about structures. That would require a job that requires an education, something you apparently don't have.

I cannot wait to see a post where you frame cracked from your shitty, idiotic modification.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99wssixm6
Has anyone used or seen these cheap "stainless" headers on ebay? These look to be even cheaper than the OBX stuff...

Not really looking to buy them but I want to see if there are any reviews on them.

Stainless Racing Long Tube Header Manifold Exhaust 05 06 Pontiac GTO LS2 6 0L V8 | eBay

I dont dare ask over at ls1gto.com

Thanks
I've heard mixed opinions on OBX. LS1gto hates them so much that it is "I eat my own poo" when you post it. I tried the TSP headers and sent them back. IMO get ARH or Kooks. You don't have to gamble with your money on a product you are unsure of.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ARH or KOOKS have a great rep. AND THEIR PRICE IS JUSTIFIED IMO.

yes,cheaper options are available but id rather get the best and be done.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Texas Speed also has a very similar set of headers and they look good to me. It's a low cost solution to long tube headers.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by audacious nick
You don't know **** about integrity. You drilled a hole in it, aka it's now weaker.
You must be young and dumb..... Drilling a hole doesn't mean it's going to be weaker it all depends on where the hole is placed. Drilling holes in structural pieces has been done for decades to remove weight and damn near everything was drilled including frame rails.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99wssixm6
Has anyone used or seen these cheap "stainless" headers on ebay? These look to be even cheaper than the OBX stuff...

I dont dare ask over at ls1gto.com

Thanks
LOL. The attitude over there when I asked some simple questions is one of the reasons I bought at CTS-V instead of a GTO.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
You must be young and dumb..... Drilling a hole doesn't mean it's going to be weaker it all depends on where the hole is placed. Drilling holes in structural pieces has been done for decades to remove weight and damn near everything was drilled including frame rails.
The irony is the ebay headers in question are Dynatech copies and the original Dynatechs did on occasion require removal of the heat shield bracket and trimming of studs.
See here from 2004, post #11 http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10745 I knew the fellow in question. Did work on quite a few GTOs back then. Not a novice.

Last edited by Felix C; 01-02-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm just surprised the actual rail needed to be notched. Most people need to just remove those brackets and some needed to cut the studs. I never heard of needing to notch the frame rail.

Of course, the car could have been whacked at some point and isn't 100% straight. I removed a strut tower brace off another GTO before, and it played hell coming off. I wound up needing to oval the holes to get the damn thing back on. After looking a little more closely, you could see where the strut tower had moved from a previous accident.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up getting a set of used pacesetter headers from eBay. the ceramic coating was "rusty" in a few areas so I scuffed them up and did vet flat black. They look great, fit great, sound great and work just fine. Overall Im very happy with my decision.

Quick Reply: Cheap Ebay "stainless headers"