Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Wanna make 500whp ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna make 500whp ??

Sup guys I have 06 gto m6 only thing done is American racing headers has a brand new ls2 1,500 miles and just wanna get some ideas to make 500whp possible ??
Thank you
Old 04-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Supercharger. Turbo. Stroker. Heads and a big *** cam. Take your pick.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good Heads/Cam/Intake set up can get you there all motor. But you will need to carefully pick the right parts as making high All motor power is a lot harder. I would contact someone like PAT G or Brian Tooley or the guys at Texas speed for advise on the right set up.

Another great and reliable option is a Supercharger. (Procharger) . A D1 blower will get you there no problem.

If youre looking to have less parts and least expensive then I would do a Cam swap with a 100 shot of nitrous (baby shot for an ls2).

There are MANY ways of going about it. I guess it just depends on your budget and others variables such as reliability, post upgrading options, ect
Old 04-22-2015, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

cam, boltons, heads...
Old 04-23-2015, 03:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Got a budget in mind?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Got a budget in mind?
What he said.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Well, you could copy me. I am at 492 with a stock bore/stroke LS2, but that could be 510 (or 480 depending on the day and the dyno). Why not build a GTO that runs strong and is reliable instead, let the dyno numbers be a by product of your build. Chasing dyno numbers is nuts and often leads to miss matched parts and/or poor drivability if a certain # is the end goal. Regardless, if you are shooting for something in that neighborhood do not overlook upgrading your brakes, clutch, rear and suspension or you will be spending lots of time in the shop with a bunch of broken parts.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:45 AM
11 Second Club

Most expensive way is to build a stroker motor but then that sets you up to add more power later on and not have to worry about blowing the motor. The short term and cheapest route is nitrous with heads and cam. Otherwise a blower is another option but you can build a really nice 402/408 stroker with the best of the best parts and make mid to upper 500's. With the track times i've turned we estimate mine to be upper 500 rwhp and I'm taking a crap ton of weight out of it. So the track times are only going to get better. I have around $15,000 in my 408 and thats with re-using some parts i already had like my intake and jessel rocker arms, which would be around 2,500 extra. Like they say there is no replacement for displacement. Plus I'm setup to spray a 400 shot on top of what it already puts down all motor. So really comes down to the end goal and your budget. You can build a stroker for a lot less but then you won't get the results your looking for also. Most cheap out on the top end and wonder why there stroker doesn't break 500rwhp.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

I certainly agree with Canada. Most people crap out on the end then the car just becomes a dog.
If I already had a LS2 block I would have it bored/stoke to a 402ci then hit up Tony Mamo for a set of his heads out the box. I personally don't even think his heads need to "mamofied" to achieve 500 rwhp on a 402 Ci motor. Tony has a thread showing off his new heads. He clearly stated that his heads with a cam to match will easily clear the 550rwhp. Something to think about as he just took a ls1 motor to 480 plus rear wheel horsepower with a cam that's not huge and can be driven daily due to the lift not being so hard on the valve train.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 447 Likes on 167 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Canada
Most expensive way is to build a stroker motor but then that sets you up to add more power later on and not have to worry about blowing the motor. The short term and cheapest route is nitrous with heads and cam. Otherwise a blower is another option but you can build a really nice 402/408 stroker with the best of the best parts and make mid to upper 500's. With the track times i've turned we estimate mine to be upper 500 rwhp and I'm taking a crap ton of weight out of it. So the track times are only going to get better. I have around $15,000 in my 408 and thats with re-using some parts i already had like my intake and jessel rocker arms, which would be around 2,500 extra. Like they say there is no replacement for displacement. Plus I'm setup to spray a 400 shot on top of what it already puts down all motor. So really comes down to the end goal and your budget. You can build a stroker for a lot less but then you won't get the results your looking for also. Most cheap out on the top end and wonder why there stroker doesn't break 500rwhp.
So I ran across this thread and your post in general stuck out in the respect that I feel most folks glaze over whats involved in getting it right.

I boldfaced some comments made in your post that I think needed to be emphasized. Most people dont realize how much it adds up to build a really good stock cube build with quality heads, valvetrain and induction and a good stoker build tacks on 6K or more to those numbers in a blink. It adds up quickly

Also I run across alot of your last sentence also.....guys that are interested in perhaps buying a good set of heads but cant afford to after the initial cost of the stroker only hurting themselves by going with a ported set of OEM heads which handicaps the larger first investment with a weak set of lungs. The engine makes some good low RPM torque from the cubes but kind of falls on its face upstairs and at the end of the day alot of money was spent for lackluster overall performance. A larger cube engine has an even larger appetite for air and heads that would be so so on a 346 are completely out of their element on 400+ CID builds.

What to learn here is once again combination is everything, but possibly more important than that is to plan ahead before taking the plunge on added displacement. If you cant afford to purchase an equally impressive top half you would be better off investing in a really quality heads cam combo for your stock displacement build.

A well built stroker that makes big power and torque is an absolute blast to drive......it has power everywhere regardless of RPM....but its more costly than most people think to accomplish so plan accordingly!!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 271 Likes on 177 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Personally, I wouldn't worry about dyno numbers so much as what you want the car to do. Sure, you can hit 500 at the wheels with a stock cube engine, but if you have a street car or daily driver, you may quickly find yourself not enjoying that dyno number as much while the car is bucking and surging and carrying on when cruising in traffic.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Personally, I wouldn't worry about dyno numbers so much as what you want the car to do. Sure, you can hit 500 at the wheels with a stock cube engine, but if you have a street car or daily driver, you may quickly find yourself not enjoying that dyno number as much while the car is bucking and surging and carrying on when cruising in traffic.
So so true!! Especially with a 346 Ci motor at 500 rwhp I'm go say the surge/bucking will be there but I think 500 rwhp can be done in a 400 plus cube motor with no bucking issues at all and have great drivability!! Great post
Old 07-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

I'm at 495 rwhp with a stock ls2 short block! PRC 227 heads/fast 102/TSP cam! And some extras!

But it's all about the heads!!! Bottom line! To hit 490-505rwhp ls2, you will need a good set of after market heads with a matched cam!
Old 07-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Teching In

So, I'll respectfully disagree with Canada: many people don't cheap out on heads on stroker builds. Many builders cheap out by catering stroker packages with lackluster heads to customers that either don't know any better or don't or can't define their goals, because, as Mamo put it, a good top end adds significant cost to a build. I count myself as one of those "ignorant" customers who bought a 402 from a "well known" shop that merely had TEA work over my 243s. It only made 460rw on what I now recognize as a very conservative tune, but, honestly, it was reliable, fun, and, of course, significantly more powerful than what I had stock...at which point I could've cared less if it made 500+. My intent was always to supercharge that larger displacement, but I wanted something to kick around until I could afford and learn about what I wanted to do. The MAST heads I have now are easily twice the cost of what TEA did to the stock heads, and, with a custom blower cam, I can unequivocally repeat what everyone else here has already stated: if you want to get the absolute most out of your engine, be prepared to spend money on your heads and to match your cam. Flip side: if you just want to have fun, don't worry about 500hp...stroke or supercharge and be done with it. My greatest disappointment with this car has been building everything around the car in order to maximize power without understanding that the amount of time keeping the car down to install/improve these things (not to mention wait on vendors) has left me sidelined without any satisfaction of actually driving the car! Had I to do it all over again, I would've just stroked and/or supercharged the car, had fun with it, and repaired/improved parts as they broke.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to do it on a budget and remain N/A, you might want to look into doing LS3 heads with a matching cam.

I ran that combination with an Ed Curtis AK-47 cam for almost 50,000 miles, and was up near 500, I'm sure.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by esau999
So, I'll respectfully disagree with Canada
As you should. Good reply.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some VERY smart replies and info on here. Much better than what would be dispensed on a certain other GTO board.

I highly suggest you ride in and or drive some high powered NA cars to decide HOW you want to make your power, and what your end performance goals are for the car.

NA cars are rowdy and nasty depending on how they're set up (and what exhaust). Is this your daily? Do you care about interior noise and being able to talk to the person next to you in the pass seat?

As for the NA vs FI debate, I have seen plenty of 540-590whp C6 Z06s pound on some FI LS3 cars making 660-730whp, just as I have videos of my friends racing a 420whp cam only C5Z w/ SBE 346 against MUCH higher powered cars and the C5 stays with them every time.

Dyno numbers don't tell the whole story. How you set up the car and WHERE it makes its power is huge. Driver mod is even bigger.

Not ******* you, just trying to raise your awareness. Read over the responses in this thread and PM the smarter folks if you have additional questions.

FYI - Tony Mamo was indispensable to me over phone and email when I was finishing this motor, even though I don't own a set of AFR heads. Truly a top shelf man in the industry!

Here is how I made 545whp the HARD way...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g...ls-inside.html

Quick Reply: Wanna make 500whp ??