Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

strut and shock time

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I looked them up after your post. Speed Inc carries them and if things don't work out with eibach I may give them a try. I liked that you had options.

Thanks for chiming in 2qwk
Old 03-23-2016, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use lovells springs and koni shocks.koni is top shelf product.bought my stuff on sale,spent a ton on these parts but its definately worth it .andy at kollar and maryland speed good people.happy easter to all.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I looked them up after your post. Speed Inc carries them and if things don't work out with eibach I may give them a try. I liked that you had options.

Thanks for chiming in 2qwk
They likely have the most common part numbers that will suit your needs. The heavy duty option for the rear helps with squatting and should be considered unless you are after a caddi-like ride quality.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

so I got a response back from the eibach via ws6store, who let me be clear is in now way shape or form at fault here and have been great through this process shocks and springs wtih all the issues. Eibach states that they have never heard of this issue went on to talk about their test vehicles and that the weight variance of full or empty tank should not effect ride height.......which gives me the impression they are dismissing my issue. then went on to state the measurements of their test vehicles which stated from the center of the wheel to the fender lip for the rear should measure 13.2".........so I put my spare tire and jack and wheel chucks back in my trunk and measured. keep in mind I have 12mm (just shy of .5" spacers) on the car currently and it measured a wapping 13" flat. assuming I was dead center of my wheel......either way its still not right! it should have measured somehwere near 13.8 with the spacer in place.

moral of the story is eibach has seen the exact same picture I posed here and have asked me to confirm year and make of the car, asked for the appearence of the wheel gap, and asked if i left the oe isolater mount out.....which is visible in the picture. I just dont understand how someone looks at that picture and asks any questions at all? something isnt right and the fact that I needed a spacer at all just to use the product should be evidence enough of an issue. considering these cars were available with 18" rims from the factory....I just dont get it

sorry its been a long day and this was kind of icing on the cake for me. At this point if they are willing to let me return them and move on Id be okay with that and Id even pay for shipping.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bummer.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

The good thing is that you got a response. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I have not been told No they are fine yet, but I kind of feel like thats where its going. Ive now been asked to contact eibach directly so we shall see where it goes from there.

I would like to think it will get resolved but I dont have the warm and fuzzy feeling I used to have for eibach at this point
Old 03-24-2016, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

**** Eibach springs. Had them on two cars, both were NOT top notch experiences.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

I have pretty much had to start over since eibach asked to deal with me directly, I have had to resend measurements and have been asked to take different measurements and more pictures.

The craziest part is the lower the fuel level gets the higher the car goes up, not astronomically but it has changed from full tank to 1/2 tank. which is even more indicative of a faulty springs, we are talking about a 60lb difference from full to half tank. It also measures different with the spare and jack in the trunk.

I nor the people I know that have used eibach have never had this issue so if they are willing replace them with a set that works, im willing to try them. If they dont its **** poor but at the same time from their stand point the potential issues of looking into this from their end are not worth it honestly........ a car that has a total production # just over 40k in 3 years. Its not even possible from them to have put a set on every car and in the long term how many more of these will they sell......they probably dont even produce them anymore so the odds of a replacement being better are pretty small as well

I'm just along for the ride at this point
Old 03-28-2016, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd forget em and go with something more reliable. There are a couple of choices available...
Old 03-28-2016, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

They now want me to remove the shocks to send them in for a warranty test to prove they are faulty..... Which could take 1-2 weeks to test. The bitch of it is for me to return them I'm in the same boat they have to be tested since they have been I stalled on the car
Old 03-28-2016, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I smell bs.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry springs not shocks
Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 229 Likes on 154 Posts

I'd just buy new springs and be done with it.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Warranty or not, they still are crappy design iirc. King, lovell, and pedders... Something in that order if available is what I'd look at.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

the diameter of the coil tubing compared to OE is quite a bit smaller, which I didnt notice until I started being a bit more critical of them.

I finally got them to agree to send me a set of rears as replacements, but the overall experience has been pretty distasteful. I mean yeah they replaced them but it wasnt without constant follow up over 2.5 week period and in the end telling me it wouldn't fix my problem. Im going to see if I can return them to the retailer now that I have an uninstalled set of rear springs. That was the hang up at first was either way they either had to be tested at eibach before I could return them since they had been installed on the car.

so hopefully when someone searches about eibach springs in the future they find this thread and see they are not great for a GTO or atleast I had a poor experience to take into account

Last edited by blackbyrd; 04-08-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Just chiming in with my experience using eibachs on my 2004 GTO. My current setup is KYBs and Eibachs. The Eibachs were cheap, but despite other owners saying not to get them I figured I would give them a try. Now going on over a year I'm replacing them with Lovells springs, which I've already ordered from Andy Kollar Racing. The Eibachs work great on flat asphalt roads. Any variation in the road with bumps or unevenness on concrete and they're no good, they pretty much suck. That picture you sent is spot on with what other owners including myself have seen with their eibachs. I recommend you get something better. I can't wait to get the eibachs off of my GTO.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First spring choice should be king. They have the most stocking options and the ability to do custom should the need arise.

I hope others see the eibach feedback. It sucks to shell out money more than once. I see that with diffs all the time, and the feeling sucks to do it more than once.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm likely going King after I make some other repairs
Old 05-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Kings are good, I personally went with Lovells on my Goat paired to Koni's. It's nice to have the adjustable feature, but it's kind of a pain to get to the shock adjustments, plus cutting the front struts out is kind of nerve wrecking. I wish someone would just sell an open strut body... Like Koni?

Quick Reply: strut and shock time