Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

US OEM GTO shipping to AUS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US OEM GTO shipping to AUS

Hi guys, I've had a few vacations to Australia, and planning on moving to Melbourne in the next 2 years. It just so happens I own a car that is very similar to a car over there, obviously the Holden monaro.

It'd make more sense for me to sell my gto, and buy a monaro once I settle down there, but the cool factor of owning a left hand drive gto over there may be worth shipping it. plus I've had my gto for a while, and know everything about it.

Can you guys point me in the right direction on registration laws? things I may have to change/convert on my car? and, if it's even possible. I'm assuming I may have to put cats back on it, but what else? Surprisingly I'm having trouble finding this kind of info.

It's a 2006 M6, stock except longtubes, catless mids, xpipe, spintechs, and a tune
Old 04-10-2017, 08:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Id look up a qualified transporter that can do that route and contact them directly. They will have more info on the subject. I searched it and the first link actually gave an estimated cost but I couldnt clink on the link since im at work. think it was schuemaker cargo or something like that

Other questions I would ask and be prepared for is what kind of taxes will you have to pay upon registering the vehicle. I know it was tough to get a 4th gen camaro over there due to some sport car tax (which the gto may not qualify as not sure) but they were shipping them with the rear hatch removed and a liner and small window laid in its place so it could pass as a truck. then they would buy the hatch seperately and resinstall it. Not saying its impossible just may cost a lot
Old 04-12-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

I'd sell it and just buy an Ute over there.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each state has it's own laws regarding registration, so you would need to contact the state that you are gong to be living in.

Also be aware that a left hand drive Monaro/GTO will have very bad resale value.
The USA delivered GTO's have a similar interior specification to our base model Monaro the CV6 whereas CV8 has climate control etc.

Quick Reply: US OEM GTO shipping to AUS