Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Thinking of parting with the GTO

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 350 Likes on 263 Posts

Default Thinking of parting with the GTO

Have an 06 Phantom Black Metallic Manual with black interior. that I have been considering parting ways with I purchased it back in 2014 with 54k on the clock. I was the third owner and ive made a few changes but mostly just fixing things on an aged car with upgraded parts. she now has 74k and is likley due a clutch and I have the typical interior issues. Precious owner did put longtubes and borla system on it and ive installed an Xair intake but aside from that Ive made no changes. Just appearance and suspensions stuff

Ive been eyeing a 6th gen upgrade for a while but wanted to do it and keep the goat but I dont think I have the space to do it comfortably, I have a deep garage and currently have 3 in it the back being a long term project but the bird and goat are drivers. I could likely park them diagnal and have the depth, but I may not have the space have now to work on stuff. Its a 17.5" foot wide by 36 ft deep. after that it gets wider but support is in the way and thats where the 3rd car is currently so the 36ft of depth in front of it is free.

Goats paid for and is my current DD, but considered a 2016-18 2 ss or ZR1 2ss I could potentially keep the coat from a money stand point, but the zr1 id sell the goat.
The following users liked this post:
02*C5 (10-23-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

There are 2 cars that I regret selling in my life. 1st was an 86 notchback 5.0 and my 06 GTO M6. Think hard about it before you make a move. The GTO will he one of those cars that in the near future will be highly sought after. They are starting to pick up price. Even high mile GTOs are demanding good pricing especially M6 models. I was lucky because the guy who sold it, I don't think he really knew what he had.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh they are great cars! And it's on the edge of needing things. So it's kind of a do I commit to keeping it or upgrade. I don't dislike it at all just been spoiled by some of the creature features of newer vehicles as my wife has leased her last 3 vehicles which have all been 2015 and newer.

So my replacement list has been 2ss/zl1/c7 vette but it seemed like a distannt goal, but I got a substantial pay increase that starts in November so my car payment is tolerate increased quite a bit.

I know I could handle what issues come.up with the goat, the bird is In a great place at the moment where anything related to it is smaller stuff. The split bumper is something I'm ready to dig into which has been a dream car, but then again so was the goat. It's tough hahaha
So putting my random thoughts here and looking for advice from those who've been there I guess
02*C5 (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Oh they are great cars! And it's on the edge of needing things. So it's kind of a do I commit to keeping it or upgrade. I don't dislike it at all just been spoiled by some of the creature features of newer vehicles as my wife has leased her last 3 vehicles which have all been 2015 and newer.

So my replacement list has been 2ss/zl1/c7 vette but it seemed like a distannt goal, but I got a substantial pay increase that starts in November so my car payment is tolerate increased quite a bit.

I know I could handle what issues come.up with the goat, the bird is In a great place at the moment where anything related to it is smaller stuff. The split bumper is something I'm ready to dig into which has been a dream car, but then again so was the goat. It's tough hahaha
So putting my random thoughts here and looking for advice from those who've been there I guess
All I have to say is to think hard. Creature comforts are great. Had a Challenger with all kids creature comforts. Had to get rid of it because life threw me a curve ball. I just picked up an 04 M6 GTO and in all seriousness I truly love this car more then my Challi. It's more brutal then the Challi and I'm more aware of my scrounging over all. Creature comforts tend to dumb you down a bit and that's what I experienced with the Challnger.

Now with all that said do whats best for you and your loved ones. Just make peace with your choice and make it happen. Good luck and God bless.
🤘🏽
blackbyrd (10-24-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 03:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 484 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by 02*C5
All I have to say is to think hard. Creature comforts are great. Had a Challenger with all kids creature comforts. Had to get rid of it because life threw me a curve ball. I just picked up an 04 M6 GTO and in all seriousness I truly love this car more then my Challi. It's more brutal then the Challi and I'm more aware of my scrounging over all. Creature comforts tend to dumb you down a bit and that's what I experienced with the Challnger.

Now with all that said do whats best for you and your loved ones. Just make peace with your choice and make it happen. Good luck and God bless.
🤘🏽
The only creature comfort I wish my GTO had was a heated steering wheel. I never had any idea how great heated steering was until I got the ultimate commuter appliance. My Nissan Leaf has a heated wheel and heated seats. My Mercedes also has heated seats, but I never use them. The heated steering wheel, however, is awesome. The horsepower, internet connected radio, and better suspension bushings are all available. The steering wheel will still be too cold in winter.
02*C5 (12-18-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I had a heated wheel Inna Tahoe a few years ago that was super nice. I've decided to hang on to it for now. But I eventually will get rid of it for a 6th gen zl1. Just not in the cards currently.

In the meantime I'll fix my sagging head liner and do something about my split driver seat.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I had a heated wheel Inna Tahoe a few years ago that was super nice. I've decided to hang on to it for now. But I eventually will get rid of it for a 6th gen zl1. Just not in the cards currently.

In the meantime I'll fix my sagging head liner and do something about my split driver seat.
As an added curiosity, my 2004 GTO was the only 2 door car in the universe where my 6'3" 250lb buddy fit in the back seat comfortably. Also, when he was driving, it is the only car where he did his usual routine of slamming the seat all the way back, then he had to pull it up a notch to fully push in the clutch. Much more interior room than expected for a coupe.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Hahaha I'm not that tall I'm 5'10 and a plus we always use my wife's car on long trips I looked at c7's but the interior looks a but dated compared to the later 6th gens
Old 12-28-2021, 02:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Hahaha I'm not that tall I'm 5'10 and a plus we always use my wife's car on long trips I looked at c7's but the interior looks a but dated compared to the later 6th gens
I am 5'10", and I can push the seat so far back I can't even reach the pedals, lol.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Corvette will always have a "dated" interior. If you look at high end car some of that high end cost comes in hand stitched interior with highly expensive materials and that's why people rarely drive them. Hence the Corvette seemingly low comperable price to performance.. You ruin that interior, by normal wear and tear and it has to he replaced. My C5 was bought with 28K miles and I sold it with 137K miles. The interior looked used because it was. I wasn't afraid of daily driving this thing and the times I got in that car with dirty clothes after a hard days work changing out windshield and didn't think twice about it. If the Corvette had a Ferrari or Lambo interior do you think it be as much fun to own and daily drive? No way we Corvette owners past and present would like those hoity toity expensive car owners.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I agree with that statement to a degree, gm has a history of having interior quality thst feels cheap. C7 doesn't appear cheap just not as modern as the 6thgen which was releases 2 years later. I had an 05 c6 long before the gto. It was fun to drive just not practical at thst stage in my life. Oddly the goat has been great as a daily and taking the kiddo to school in the back seat. He turns 6 this year and is no going to the school next to where my wife's so he's basically gonna ride with her till 8th grade at this point haha. She is likely to be a principal in the coming year or after which is why I'm holding off. That's an income increase that would make the payment less painful

Thanks for the input

02*C5 (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with that statement to a degree, gm has a history of having interior quality thst feels cheap. C7 doesn't appear cheap just not as modern as the 6thgen which was releases 2 years later. I had an 05 c6 long before the gto. It was fun to drive just not practical at thst stage in my life. Oddly the goat has been great as a daily and taking the kiddo to school in the back seat. He turns 6 this year and is no going to the school next to where my wife's so he's basically gonna ride with her till 8th grade at this point haha. She is likely to be a principal in the coming year or after which is why I'm holding off. That's an income increase that would make the payment less painful

Thanks for the input
That's awsome that's a beautiful age. Mine are all "grown" I have a 14 18 and 30 yr old. They youngest two think they dont need dad lol. Cherish these next few years because the next best years will long after they leave the house and finally get it. And keep grinding on that GTO. My 04 will be my legacy to the youngest who loves fast cars but won't admit my GTO is pretty cool 😂

Happy New Year and God bless you and yours.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Finally drove one, 1ss 1le car. Had quite a few mods mostly tasteful.

Really fun car to be honest makes my decision really tough.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 2004 Monaro (Aussie GTO) and I love it! However, I wouldn't' use it as a daily. It's not that you can't, with the common 4 door version of these cars over here that my mechanic looks after, he considers them run in at 300,000 miles However, they are getting expensive and difficult with parts. The wear and tear on these cars from daily use isn't worth it to me. They are too rare and over here, values have sky rocketed as well. I would get the Camaro if only having the one car.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Legit concern at some.point the wear and tear will catch up. 76k now but granted I barely put 5k a year on it. But it's rarity means if it ever gets in a wreck it will likely he totaled due to cost of parts.

Definitely shopping for 6th gens at this point.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Legit concern at some.point the wear and tear will catch up. 76k now but granted I barely put 5k a year on it. But it's rarity means if it ever gets in a wreck it will likely he totaled due to cost of parts.

Definitely shopping for 6th gens at this point.
The original design for the ls1 motor specced a 300,000 mile lifespan.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Not concerned about wearing out the motor, but the gto specific components thst sre expensive
Old 01-31-2022, 05:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Not concerned about wearing out the motor, but the gto specific components thst sre expensive
Completely. With the engine, gearbox etc, even in Australia, there's stuff everywhere for these, but Monaro specific parts are very hard to get for the most part. Even things like the drivers window (passenger for the GTO), is close to impossible to get new. For the limited edition models like my CV8-R, it's actually not possible at all to get stuff new like the gear ****, taillights etc.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Weird timing of this thread. I just logged on here because I'm posting some GTO stuff for sale.

I have a 2006, PBM M6 GTO with about 44k miles on it. Pretty much stock. I'm getting it cleaned up now(front bumper respray and upper SAP grills to take care of a few rock chips, detail and ceramic wax) and ready for sale(Most likely it will be posted on Bring a trailer as it's a very good condition car that has never seen winter and never daily driven), I decided to part with mine after a few years as well. Decided now is the time to sell with the market being good for used cars, and my dream car only being made for 2 more years. And mainly because I'm finally financial able to buy a car like this.

That being said, I have a MOPAR on order. Brand new 2022 Challenger Jailbreak..........

Will miss the GTO, but it's not a 806hp monster I always wanted, lol.

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 01-31-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm looking at a zl1 a lot more at this point. From the time I started this thread to now I've gotten a good raise that would support a healthy car payment. So I'm hoping to make it past tax season and then start shopping.

Last edited by blackbyrd; 01-31-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of parting with the GTO