Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Who's running a Kaaz LSD? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Who's running a Kaaz LSD? (Pics)

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share a current upgrade to my car. I sold my wavetrac and I'm installing Japanese racing steel in my goat.

These are pretty neat. They can be adjusted for street or race driving. They have several settings available to make them perform the way you like. You can choose slip settings in the neighborhood of 35% to 100%. You can also pick one of several cams available to change slip behavior. Both 2.0 and 1.5 cams are available, with varying ratios..

I had this shipped air freight from it's motherland, and it was the last on their shelves. They claim to be making another batch of these. If they do, it may be one of the last ones.

Share your stories if any on this LSD.

Pics below. Last pic shows Wavetrac and Kaaz. You can see helical worm gears peeking out of Wavetrac

Last edited by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT; 04-14-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Sounds like they added options since I put in a KAAZ over 15 years ago.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
Sounds like they added options since I put in a KAAZ over 15 years ago.
No, they've always been there.

Made some adjustments to some early units, but people were scared to run them because they were bumpy or too aggressive. All those traits are easily fixable. A few early units broke and people were worried about the actual durability as well. When done correctly they hold lots of power.

This one has many mods and should be interesting to run. It will end up being pushed to its edge. Hope it stays together.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm considering this finish. I've held off before because it was too flashy, but it's growing on me.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
No, they've always been there.

Made some adjustments to some early units, but people were scared to run them because they were bumpy or too aggressive. All those traits are easily fixable. A few early units broke and people were worried about the actual durability as well. When done correctly they hold lots of power.

This one has many mods and should be interesting to run. It will end up being pushed to its edge. Hope it stays together.
I remember aggressive lockup and durability complaints, but are you saying people actually broke them? Never heard of that. I don't think a t56 has been made that could break a Kaaz.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I remember aggressive lockup and durability complaints, but are you saying people actually broke them? Never heard of that. I don't think a t56 has been made that could break a Kaaz.
There were a few drag car failures early on. I've never had a failure and have used many Kaaz units. Most common fails are Trucrap units.

New guys aren't so much aware of the Kaaz units. They get the trutrac mostly and try builds with out of spec parts kits that are available in the mainstream.

How's yours feel? How many miles on it?

Last edited by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT; 04-16-2022 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

The gears look much beefier than a Torsen
Old 04-18-2022, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wannafbody
The gears look much beefier than a Torsen
It's a good simple design, but, improvements can be made. Some torsen diffs have been pretty weak, but the offering from the boss 302 about 10 years ago changed that game. That torsen is very solid and stronger than previous offerings. I've modded several of those to fit in the 8.8 GTO conversions. I kinda wish they would make a GTO offering. Its a very nice lsd. Torsen is a true oem and doesn't provide much end user advice or support. I guess business is good enough.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

I still have less than 20k miles on my GTO. I quit driving it for a while after my Road Atlanta adventure pointed out fuel system deficiencies under extended high load conditions, then my fuel system upgrade feature creeped into heads/cam, swapping rear mount turbo for front mount, battery relocate, changing rear gears again, stereo upgrade, etc., etc. Then my job "volunteered" me for a promotion that left no time to work on any of that. It has been on jackstands since at least 2015. As far as the Kaaz, I did the recommended break in procedure with the proper lsd additive and had no complaints about the drivability. However, there were minor tolerance variations between it and stock. My stock stubs would click into it, and my upgraded dss stubs would click into my stock lsd, but the dss stubs would not click into the Kaaz without minor machining. It seemed to be a matter of minor manufacturing tolerances stacking up when the two aftermarket parts were mated. This is not uncommon , of course, when mating multiple aftermarket assemblies. As for the other comments about Torsen diffs, I think the basic design of them is nothing short of genius, but there is a tradeoff between rotational weight and torque capacity that is inherent in that design.. I think they would have had better luck in low rpm situations such as encountered in the 4wd community, although I guess they just make do with lockers?
Old 04-24-2022, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still have less than 20k miles on my GTO. I quit driving it for a while after my Road Atlanta adventure pointed out fuel system deficiencies under extended high load conditions, then my fuel system upgrade feature creeped into heads/cam, swapping rear mount turbo for front mount, battery relocate, changing rear gears again, stereo upgrade, etc., etc. Then my job "volunteered" me for a promotion that left no time to work on any of that. It has been on jackstands since at least 2015. As far as the Kaaz, I did the recommended break in procedure with the proper lsd additive and had no complaints about the drivability. However, there were minor tolerance variations between it and stock. My stock stubs would click into it, and my upgraded dss stubs would click into my stock lsd, but the dss stubs would not click into the Kaaz without minor machining. It seemed to be a matter of minor manufacturing tolerances stacking up when the two aftermarket parts were mated. This is not uncommon , of course, when mating multiple aftermarket assemblies. As for the other comments about Torsen diffs, I think the basic design of them is nothing short of genius, but there is a tradeoff between rotational weight and torque capacity that is inherent in that design.. I think they would have had better luck in low rpm situations such as encountered in the 4wd community, although I guess they just make do with lockers?
I'm constantly compensating, or rejecting when using aftermarket stubs on builds. None of them are built correctly imo. Many have been returned because of poor fit. A two piece driveline part? Makes horrible sense. That was the reason I made those 300m stubs back in the day. They were made to work with our stuff and never break. They never caused leaks or fell out.

The helical diffs are almost no good once a wheel lifts off the ground. The off road guys counter this with brake application. They are genius in how they work. Would be more genius if they offered varying ratios to apply to intended applications.

I've dealt with plenty of fuel issues early on. Remember the aps fuel pump deal? Was a nightmare. of course the good mods at the orig site helped sweep up objective posts they didn't agree with. I had to re-engineer the whole set-up. Peter guy got us with our pants down. Hard to get him to make good on the other side of the world.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 354 Likes on 259 Posts

I had a Kaaz in my first GTO. I think it was installed in 2005 after I bought the car in January 2004. Car had a 408 and 150 shot of nitrous. Daily drove the car with the Kaaz for 3 years and made over 100 passes in the 1/4 in the low 10's as well as over 100 1/8th mile passes in the 6.5-6.7 range. I sold the car in 2008 and about 5 years ago the person I sold it to sold it with the Kaaz still going strong.

I bought my current GTO about 5 years ago and had planned on putting a Kaaz in it as one of the first mods. I always like to build up the drive train in preparation for the power I'm expecting to make and fully planned on going with the Kaaz again as I really liked it. I bought a recently rebuilt differential with a spool in it and gforce level 2 stubs for $900 shipped to my door instead. I thought man for that price I'll try the spool out. My car is an '04 and since the differential with the spool in was from an 05 or 06 I was buying a drive shaft anyway so I got the 2 piece Dss aluminum chromoly shaft with direct fit flange for the 05 diff. I added DSS 1000 hp Cv's and an RPM built transmission. So far so good.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Cornering and tire life are definite downsides to a spool, but if those issues don't bother you, a spool is your strongest option per weight of any diff.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cornering and tire life are definite downsides to a spool, but if those issues don't bother you, a spool is your strongest option per weight of any diff.
Spool will always be more twitchy for sure. You'll have to drive the car around the spool depending on terrain, tire choice, and how you drive.

Lsd will always be a safer choice for the street. Spool can Definately be fun, but it has its place. I'm willing to bet money the spools available aren't stronger than what's available in a LSD for our application. Besides, all the builds I've seen are using improper spec parts and I don't see much longevity to what's being peddled around.

The big drawback to the kaaz is oil needs to be changed more often and it needs to be adjusted to your use.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Spool will always be more twitchy for sure. You'll have to drive the car around the spool depending on terrain, tire choice, and how you drive.

Lsd will always be a safer choice for the street. Spool can Definately be fun, but it has its place. I'm willing to bet money the spools available aren't stronger than what's available in a LSD for our application. Besides, all the builds I've seen are using improper spec parts and I don't see much longevity to what's being peddled around.

The big drawback to the kaaz is oil needs to be changed more often and it needs to be adjusted to your use.
You may be very correct in the specific application we are talking about, but there is absolutely no doubt that given equal levels of engineering and metallurgy, a spool will always be stronger than a LSD. That being said, I have yet to see any application beyond mud bogging that would make me want to use one.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You may be very correct in the specific application we are talking about, but there is absolutely no doubt that given equal levels of engineering and metallurgy, a spool will always be stronger than a LSD. That being said, I have yet to see any application beyond mud bogging that would make me want to use one.
Yea, no one is making driveline parts for the GTO has done anything spectacular. Well, Almost no one.. Always easy to find/experience engineering fails. Even the best LSD available has its faults.

Many have taken a long ride $$$$$

Old 07-12-2022, 04:02 AM
10 Second Club

I've had the spool in the car for about 4 years or so. I've only owned the car 5 years roughly. The Differential, axle stubs, Cv's, and drive shaft were the first thing I did. Second thing was the fuel system with external 4303 pump, boost referenced, and return system. Then it was on to horse power mods and the transmission.

The spool is from strange engineering. Car isn't a daily. The only issue I dislike about the spool is backing up while needing to turn tight. Tire wear is surely increased, but I don't expect my tires to last when I'm driving around the streets on MT ET street R drag radials anyway.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
I've had the spool in the car for about 4 years or so. I've only owned the car 5 years roughly. The Differential, axle stubs, Cv's, and drive shaft were the first thing I did. Second thing was the fuel system with external 4303 pump, boost referenced, and return system. Then it was on to horse power mods and the transmission.

The spool is from strange engineering. Car isn't a daily. The only issue I dislike about the spool is backing up while needing to turn tight. Tire wear is surely increased, but I don't expect my tires to last when I'm driving around the streets on MT ET street R drag radials anyway.
Yea, backing up in a tight spot sucks with a spool. It also puts more wear and tear on parts. Our diffs wear and tear pretty easily, depending on how and what parts were used. Sounds like you're doing pretty well overall.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, backing up in a tight spot sucks with a spool. It also puts more wear and tear on parts. Our diffs wear and tear pretty easily, depending on how and what parts were used. Sounds like you're doing pretty well overall.
After having a Kaaz and a spool in a GTO I prefer the Kaaz, but for the price and my needs the diff already built with a spool works for me. If the car was a daily or I had a need to replace the diff I would probably go with a Kaaz if one was available at the time of need. I still have my stock diff with 26,000 miles on it and not sure of the terminology, but I think it's called the "yoke" for an 05/06. Since my car is an '04 and the diff with the spool is for an 05/06 I bought my driveshaft with the direct fit flange for the 05/06 size "yoke". So in case I ever actually need to use my stock diff I bought an 05/06 "yoke" for it so it would work with my driveshaft.

It has also came to my attention that you may be the "banned one" from the old gto forum.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
After having a Kaaz and a spool in a GTO I prefer the Kaaz, but for the price and my needs the diff already built with a spool works for me. If the car was a daily or I had a need to replace the diff I would probably go with a Kaaz if one was available at the time of need. I still have my stock diff with 26,000 miles on it and not sure of the terminology, but I think it's called the "yoke" for an 05/06. Since my car is an '04 and the diff with the spool is for an 05/06 I bought my driveshaft with the direct fit flange for the 05/06 size "yoke". So in case I ever actually need to use my stock diff I bought an 05/06 "yoke" for it so it would work with my driveshaft.

It has also came to my attention that you may be the "banned one" from the old gto forum.
I get that from time to time.
The following users liked this post:
BCNUL8R (07-29-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Joining in here as I just recently installed a second hand diff with a Kaaz LSD and 3.73 gears and it's awesome. I was about to spend close to $3000 on a trutrac with new gears when I saw this advertised and decided to take a punt. I picked it up for $500(Australian) which is ridiculously cheap. I didn't even know it was a Kaaz LSD until I pulled the cover off to have a look before I installed it.
So far so good.
The LSD is extremely tight but I only notice it on really tight corners under acceleration. When cold it's even tighter but loosens up within the first mile or or so.
I'm pretty happy so far and can't wait to get to the track again to really test it.

Quick Reply: Who's running a Kaaz LSD? (Pics)