Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

04 GTO No crank No start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 GTO No crank No start

Hello I am new here, I just put a new cam in my 04 GTO, it ran and drove around pre tune, big toe driving only. I went to start it to move it out the way of the garage door, and it sounded like a possible dead battery, just a bunch of repeatedly loud clicks. I have a Optima Red Top in the car, it still was at full charge when pulled from the car. I have tried installing a new starter since the 20 year old original was still in the car. Still getting repeating loud clicks, looked at all my relays and fuses and they all tested good, but I have limited knowlegde on relays. Can anyone help me out here? It ran and idled well on Monday, drove good as well, the next day just started clicking.
Old 05-29-2024, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 231 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve13245
Hello I am new here, I just put a new cam in my 04 GTO, it ran and drove around pre tune, big toe driving only. I went to start it to move it out the way of the garage door, and it sounded like a possible dead battery, just a bunch of repeatedly loud clicks. I have an Optima Red Top in the car, it still was at full charge when pulled from the car. I have tried installing a new starter since the 20 year old original was still in the car. Still getting repeating loud clicks, looked at all my relays and fuses and they all tested good, but I have limited knowlegde on relays. Can anyone help me out here? It ran and idled well on Monday, drove good as well, the next day just started clicking.
How many volts is the battery putting out?
Old 05-29-2024, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
How many volts is the battery putting out?
12.57, did find a ground I relocated when I deleted my AC that had pulled the thread out of the tab on the passengers motor mount upper bracket, was going to relicate it back to the block itself
Old 05-29-2024, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 231 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve13245
12.57, did find a ground I relocated when I deleted my AC that had pulled the thread out of the tab on the passengers motor mount upper bracket, was going to relicate it back to the block itself
Did it work? If no, and I’m just throwing this out there but does your car have any sort of vehicle anti theft? If so it could be something with that.
Do all the other electrical stuff work?
Old 05-29-2024, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Did you charge the battery and try again? 12.57 is pretty weak and besides voltage output alone does not mean a battery has enough in it to crank the engine.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rich-L79
Did you charge the battery and try again? 12.57 is pretty weak and besides voltage output alone does not mean a battery has enough in it to crank the engine.
I did all of that, but the issue has been resolved, the ground I relocated to the motor mount bracket had not been making good connection, so I put it back to the block and now it starts up perfectly fine, should I add an additional ground from the block to the chassis to have an extra ground just in case?

Quick Reply: 04 GTO No crank No start