Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO Problems

I'm a brand new GTO owner and i've already encountered some problems with mine. I've had my GTO for two days and the driver's side window is already broken. It'll go down and it'll barely go back up and gets stuck half way. I've already taken it back to the dealer and they checked it out and don't know what's wrong, so I have to take it back Monday and they're gonna have a team look at it and tells me it's gonna take about 8 hours lol. I looked on LS1.com and apparently this is a common problem with GTO. Is anyone else experincing similar problems or other problems?

BTW I got the Purple Auto.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Only problem I'm having is traction.... in all seriousness, we have sold quite a few, and only had two come back for warranty work, one had a problem with the seat riser, one had a fuse not installed during it's PDI. No problems with mine yet, but I only have 140 miles on it so far, had the engine out with only 10 miles on it. I know there's nothing wrong with it now.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Banned

go check out www.ls1gto.com
Old 08-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Teching In

dont see it taking a whole team and 8 hours.gm is known for bad window motors.ours was making a little popping noise on rollups,they adjusted the window motor and no more problems.......service manager even let me sit with car and watch him fix it since it was the first GTO they had sold to the public.he knows my wife and knows she is picky about her car.......
Old 08-22-2004, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They must've used left over fbody power window motors. I'm sure the motor is toast.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Launching!

I am having problems with my shifter. Will not go into reverse till the 3rd try.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Ouch that sounds really bad, I hope my auto doesn't have the same problem
Old 08-23-2004, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problems at 7500+ miles - knock on wood.
As stated, most problems people have are documented on ls1gto. As far as the reverse thing - there's multiple tsb's out for clutch issues - it's probably a matter of needing to tighten the bolts on the pressure plate - they upped the torque req't twice during the builds.
Dan
Old 08-23-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the motor is working, it's not the motor!

HAve they made sure the rubber guide tracks have the proper amount of silicone lube on them?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

I just got the goat back now, they said the window motor is bad and they have to special order from Michigan and it'll take till Friday and it'll take them another half day.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8600 miles on mine and no problems whatsoever. Just a few oil changes, tinted the windows, and put gas in it.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Default 6000 miles been Back to Dealer 6 times!

I have 04 GTO impulse blue/blue interior M6 which has been nothing but problems so far.
Its been towed back to dealer 3 times already
I was sitting at Red light after getting off expressway and speedo just started moving, went all the way to 200 and the odometer starting putting miles on.. I was sitting still..
Dealer found broken wire in wiring harness... be ok since
2nd issue was at 500 miles needed new battery
3rd time will not go into reverse if I'm on a certain angle... can never back in my driveway.. dealer coundn't replicate but problem still exsists
4th time to dealer... stereo will just go full blast at different times for no reason... personally I think the stereos suck
5th time back. coolant leak.... actually lost the whole amount of coolant from resovour.. the found leaking plug in back of head and believe it or not the used a "stop leak" pill to correct the problem... they said thats what the bullitin said to do... keeping eye on it now so far so good
6th time back .. when car is warm the starter is real noisy (sound tinnny) but they said it was normal..
Since I've had so many problems so soon with it.. GM gave me a free 10 year 100,000 mile extended warrenty (above the factory 36K warrenty) ... I guess they don't want any negative publicity about the car just after being put into production...
Anyway problems I still have are
Wheels hops rear bad if you take off hard in the rain
If you shift hard something bangs in the rear end area
cars performace is lackluster after cooling fan has kicked on... I'm told to put a 160 degree thermostate in it????
Don't get me wrong I like the car but guess I gotta live with the kinks till they get them all straightened out!I told lots of recalls are comming!
By the way I replaced the stock mufflers with a "straight through" bullet type muffler and it sounds so much better!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
No problems at 7500+ miles - knock on wood.
As stated, most problems people have are documented on ls1gto. As far as the reverse thing - there's multiple tsb's out for clutch issues - it's probably a matter of needing to tighten the bolts on the pressure plate - they upped the torque req't twice during the builds.
Dan
Hey Dan, I have had my GTO for a week. I bought a fairly late one (built 6/04) hoping that some early issues may have been corrected during production. I wasn't sure that they did that but it sounds like they do. I just have to get my remote/alarm issue resolved. It goes in Monday for that.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-28-2004, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Angry I have had my GTO for 5 days, first probelm....

Originally Posted by AlphaEden
I'm a brand new GTO owner and i've already encountered some problems with mine. I've had my GTO for two days and the driver's side window is already broken. It'll go down and it'll barely go back up and gets stuck half way. I've already taken it back to the dealer and they checked it out and don't know what's wrong, so I have to take it back Monday and they're gonna have a team look at it and tells me it's gonna take about 8 hours lol. I looked on LS1.com and apparently this is a common problem with GTO. Is anyone else experincing similar problems or other problems?

BTW I got the Purple Auto.

Everything was working fine, the on board computer reports that I have 24 miles worth of gas before empty. So I went to get gas. After I got gas, a full tank I might add, I got back in the car and started to leave, the computer says I have a 150 miles to empty. I'm thinking it should be about 280 Miles not 150. Even worse than that, I drove all around town after that, and the miles stay at 150. It doesn't change. Anyone had a problem like this? Thanks
Old 08-29-2004, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like an odomoter problem, I've heard of it happening before...

Window's fixed, it's great now!

I'm gettin now around 15.3 mpg for gas with premium
Old 08-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AlphaEden
Sounds like an odomoter problem, I've heard of it happening before...

Window's fixed, it's great now!

I'm gettin now around 15.3 mpg for gas with premium
Dude I am looking for the fuse box in the GTO, I can't find it. Book says it is under the instrument panel on the driver's side. any help would be great =o)
Old 08-31-2004, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

My 04 GTO has 11400 mile on it since Feb 27th. Not one single problem with it.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Here is one more minor problem to add to the list. A couple more service bulletins from GM. Steering gear and knuckle attaching bolts. I was getting power steering whine when car got hot..was also hearing ticks/clicks when driving everytime I would hit a small bump in the road. But other than that...Smooooth sailing. GTO is a thrill to drive!
Old 09-23-2004, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jtarabay
Everything was working fine, the on board computer reports that I have 24 miles worth of gas before empty. So I went to get gas. After I got gas, a full tank I might add, I got back in the car and started to leave, the computer says I have a 150 miles to empty. I'm thinking it should be about 280 Miles not 150. Even worse than that, I drove all around town after that, and the miles stay at 150. It doesn't change. Anyone had a problem like this? Thanks
The "miles to empty" display bases it's starting number on how the last tank of gas went. My 300M was the same way. The reason it doesn't go down is because you're geting better MPG than the last tank. When you refill and reset again, you'll see a higher number to start. I think mine always says 280 to start, but on some highway trips I've seen over 350.

As for the fuse panel, around the steering wheel (below the IP) is a panel that has the Alcantara (suedy stuff) on it. I am talking about the panel that immediately surrounds the bottom half of the steering wheel. It is hinged and if you pull on the left side with the door open it'll pop open - don't worry, you didn't break anything. The fuse panel is on the left side once the panel is open - basically below the control for the headlights by a few inches.

Quick Reply: GTO Problems