Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004 | 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Default GTO questions

hey all. I am planning on getting a black/black M6 GTO sometime either this week or next week. i have a couple questions though...

1. have you run into any problems with the car?
2. how much did you pay for it?
3. is there anything quirky/weird I should know about the car?

thanks.
Old 09-28-2004 | 09:28 AM
NKAWTG...N

howdy chicken ******. i thought you were in florida.

1. Its too fast for you!
2. To much for you!
3. Not quirky/weird enough for you!

What happened to your 944?
Old 09-28-2004 | 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Default GTO new purchase Opinion

Originally Posted by jon944lee
hey all. I am planning on getting a black/black M6 GTO sometime either this week or next week. i have a couple questions though...

1. have you run into any problems with the car?
2. how much did you pay for it?
3. is there anything quirky/weird I should know about the car?

thanks.
I have impulse blue M6 bought 4 months ago paid 30K
lots of little problems, mostly electrical gauges go up and down for no reason out of the blue.. dealer could never replicate because it only happens once in awhile.
In my opinion the stereo not all its made out to be.. just my opinion though
also getting into reverse can be a chour sometimes ( again only happens sometimes)
another stupid thing is nowhere to put the gas cap when fueling... Its on a plastic string ( I hate that) and they rub on the body and over time will cause scratches... ESIGN FLAW"
Car really needs traction control button to default to off instead of on.. takes alot of the fun and performance away when its on
Thats Just my 2 Cents
Old 09-29-2004 | 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stoleit
howdy chicken ******. i thought you were in florida.

1. Its too fast for you!
2. To much for you!
3. Not quirky/weird enough for you!

What happened to your 944?
hey neal. i am in florida... i still have the 944 but it's leaking oil and i can't keep driving 60+ miles everyday to and from school in that. as far as too fast, the 944 is just as fast as the gto and i have the money lined up... i can't make the deadline for the GMAC 3500 rebate so i'm just gonna keep saving and get the 05 GTO. hows UIUC by the way?
Old 09-30-2004 | 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The radio is less than advertised (although adequate for my old butt at this current time).
Many clutch issues out there - mostly early cars and those with good dealerships have been taken care of (they have upped the clutch bolt torque spec like 3 times). I haven't had this problem at 8.2k w/ an early build though. Sounds like CincyGTO has that problem though.
Paint on my car is thin.
I leave the 'tiresaver' mode (TC) on - unless I'm driving for fun, then turn it off.
I can't stop grinning ever time somebody asks me about my car! It's the best car for me right now - at least until you start spending double the money. I paid GM supplier pricing (31K).
Dan
Old 09-30-2004 | 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I paid $31k for mine. Mine was one of those on the first boat here holding 465 of them.

- Problem: Clutch. Solution? SPEC Stage 3
- Problem: Soft paint. Be careful clay barring and you'll be buffing out a lot of scuffs
- Problem: Rear "thunking" under power/speed shifting. Pontiac has a fix for this.

There are many numerous other "petty" little things people have experienced like whacky gauges, stereo cutting out, changing volume (SCV) suddenly, High IAT's. But overall the car is super solid.

Mine had the coolant gauge go whacky last night, but has been fine since. We think it's a short in the harness that is common as I've read it happen a few other times to others. And I just noticed my side bolster (closest to the door) on the driver's seat is showing abnormally high wear considering the car is 9 months old and only has 3,400 miles on it. It is wearing quicker than my 3 year old, 33,000 mile 2500 HD did.

You'll have to get used to the centralized locking system without power lock switches inside, and the window switches in the center console. What's nice, is through the DIC (Driver Information Center), you can set both windows to go down "express" though, so that makes up for odd placement of the switches.

With the spoiler on, you lose about a 1/3rd of the visibility out the rear window.

I personally don't have a problem with the sound qaulity of the Blaupunkt. It doesn't have the overall power of the Monsoon in the Camaro, but it sounds infinitely better. Quality over Quantity I suppose. It is on par with the Bose system I had in my Aurora. One thing I wish was that the steering wheel controls had backlighting at night. You have to get used to braille as the "Up" buttons on either side have two dots to signify them.

And for some reason, this car draws a lot of *** riders! For example, on my trek to work today, EVERYONE had to park the nose of their shitbox under my bumper. Then when they see me jerk forward to put some space between us, they move forward again! "HEY ASSCLOWN! I moved up for a reason!!" Generally when I can just see your face in my rear view mirror and nothing else below....you're to f*cking close!
Old 09-30-2004 | 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've wanted to get out of the car and see just how close they actually are.. The rear deck is so tall, EVERYTHING looks close. You could easily back over stuff with this car, and never see it ...
Old 09-30-2004 | 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I almost did back into someone with mine the second day I had it.
Old 09-30-2004 | 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I hadn't noticed how tall the rear is until last night when I was looking at them. I think I could rest my elbow on the spoiler without bending over
Old 10-01-2004 | 07:22 AM
On The Tree

hey guys... i just picked my 04 (yes neal, 04=LS1... not the 05 like i planned) last night. did anyone else smell something funny when they drove it? and yes, i agree with the rear being too tall. other than that, it's an awesome car! thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-01-2004 | 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Probably just the exhaust burning in from heat cycling.
Old 10-01-2004 | 09:01 PM
Teching In

" And for some reason, this car draws a lot of *** riders! For example, on my trek to work today, EVERYONE had to park the nose of their shitbox under my bumper. Then when they see me jerk forward to put some space between us, they move forward again! "HEY ASSCLOWN! I moved up for a reason!!" Generally when I can just see your face in my rear view mirror and nothing else below....you're to f*cking close! "

Too many half-wits on the road..... Think that 2.5 - 3 feet is going to get them some where faster. Had to " Dust " a Grand Prix on the way home for the same reason..........
Old 10-04-2004 | 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes indeed.

I brought the Camaro to work today and some chump in a P.O.S. Ranger insisted on tailgating me the entire way up Route 83. We both happened to be turning right onto Devon, so I took that opportunity to "discipline" him with a 2nd gear full throttle romp. All the sudden Speedy Gonzales was no where to be found!!
Old 10-04-2004 | 10:21 AM
On The Tree

hey guys got a question. why is it that none of the dealerships in central florida know what the GTO autoX kit is?
Old 10-04-2004 | 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Because it's an option on the '05 and they know nothing about future options. I had to look at 4 dealers before I found one who knew what Pulse Red was. Why? Because it's not out yet.
Old 10-06-2004 | 08:15 AM
Teching In

Got my GTO black ext. red interiors and it looks much better than the black on black. I have 1000 miles on it with only one minor problem regarding the driver's seat window malfunctioning. That happenned for one day and the problem went away by itself. Right here on this forum another GTO owner reported the same problem. I live in PR so cars here go for a much higher price than on the mainland due to excise taxes at about 20%. That being the case I paid $41,000 for it which with a $2000 GMC bonus discount came to $39,000 including an extended warranty for 6 yrs and/or 100,000 miles. Taxes were around 7k or 8k so that puts the car at about 31k or 32 k on the mainland. I got 2.9% APR financing from GM. For PR that's a good deal.

In your case I would consider a 2005 GTO instead of a 2004 except if you get this 2004 GTO at or below $28,000 and 0% financing from GM. That's right take nothing above o% financing for the 2004 model. They are not selling and they want to get rid of them especially at month's end. Be careful, though, I have no idea what the 2005 will cost. I have heard they will start around $35,000 which would be a great price for a 6.0L. I got the 2004 because I can expect the 2005 GTO to go for cole to $50,000 in PR; but if I could have my way I would go for the 2005.
Old 10-06-2004 | 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chupa
Because it's an option on the '05 and they know nothing about future options. I had to look at 4 dealers before I found one who knew what Pulse Red was. Why? Because it's not out yet.
oh that explains a lot...
Old 10-06-2004 | 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's a generally safe assumption that the car salesmen know absolutely nothing about the products they sell. I heard one tell a friend of mine that the GTO is faster than the Z06 he used to have. They also seem to have no idea that the GTO has the same engine as an f-body.
Old 10-07-2004 | 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

Man, I tried to go test drive one today and the lady at Gay Pontiac said they don't usually let people take them out. She wanted me to fill out some credit app and crap to show I was really interested. I didn't have time for that crap so I took off.
Old 10-07-2004 | 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually blk, that's where I went. As we were driving, she told me that they had had a big problem with people coming in and 'test driving' them by thrashing the hell out of them and then leaving with no intent to buy. They had one car that had over 100 miles on it. So that's why they started running credit first, to make sure it's serious buyers only.

Quick Reply: GTO questions