Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Another Rear bites the dust!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Rear bites the dust!

Well, Ive had the GTO 2 weeks and drove her for 900 miles. I have to say that I love the car and get compliments everywhere. However, at 700 miles she started making a whining noise and by 900 miles it was ear piercing. Verdict is that rear is toast and my dealership thinks they found 1 in the US. If not then 14 on their way from Aussie, but they will be 10-12 weeks out. Hopefully, rear in US exists and Ill have it by next Monday. Gotta love it.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Restricted User

The diff in my car has been whining under light throttle for 1600 miles now, 3100 on the car total.
Dealer says they can't do anything about it, until it breaks.
I guess it is time for some aggressive driving!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BoostJunkie
The diff in my car has been whining under light throttle for 1600 miles now, 3100 on the car total.
Dealer says they can't do anything about it, until it breaks.
I guess it is time for some aggressive driving!
Great news....I have about 250 on the clock. I notice a light whinning. Does anyone else hear anything?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thats how mine started....then a couple hundred miles later it sounded like I was being chased by a crotch rocket.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Teching In

my co-worker just picked up an 04 and noticed whinning from the diff after about 2000miles on it
Old 10-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Teching In

tohigh4you,
Was it only noticeable under load (accelerating/decelerating) or present all the time? Mine whines and gets louder/higher pitched as speed increases -- but only under load...when coasting it's quiet.

Originally Posted by tohigh4you
Well, Ive had the GTO 2 weeks and drove her for 900 miles. I have to say that I love the car and get compliments everywhere. However, at 700 miles she started making a whining noise and by 900 miles it was ear piercing. Verdict is that rear is toast and my dealership thinks they found 1 in the US. If not then 14 on their way from Aussie, but they will be 10-12 weeks out. Hopefully, rear in US exists and Ill have it by next Monday. Gotta love it.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

When it started it was only during coasting but after a couple hundred more miles it didnt matter. Any speed over 30MPH and it got louder the faster you went. UPDATE!! Got the car back tonight and everything is fixed. GM overnighted me a brand new complete rear section.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the clarification and am sure happy your's is back and fixed.

When it started it was only during coasting but after a couple hundred more miles it didnt matter. Any speed over 30MPH and it got louder the faster you went. UPDATE!! Got the car back tonight and everything is fixed. GM overnighted me a brand new complete rear section.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Default Rear Dif Whine

Looks like the CTS-V isn't the only car that has this occasional problem!!
Old 10-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Ive had a few guys PM me that they are having same problem but their dealers are trying to BS them and not fix them. GM better squash this or my GTO is going to be an instant classic.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ive had a few guys PM me that they are having same problem but their dealers are trying to BS them and not fix them. GM better squash this or my GTO is going to be an instant classic.
A buddy of mine had some coast whine, and the dealer replaced the diff under warranty.

Gotta ask this, did any of you guys let the diff break in or did you start beating on the car soon after getting it.

I had 20,000 miles on a 6-speed car, 200+ 1/4 mile runs and never had any diff whine. A few more degrees of lash, , and toasted LSD clutch plates, but no whine..

On my personal car, I was real nice to it until about 800 miles and no noises. It has 1075 or so on it now and going to the road course tomorrow. I'll see if the noise pops up then...

BTW, I've seen a CTSv diff go. Not pretty. The GTO's are cast iron, I have not seen a blowed up one yet..
Old 10-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

As far as breakin....I was actually on the hwy from 350 miles until I dropped it off at 900 to get rear swapped....no hard launches.....i did however find out that car can go 125 in 4th gear....
Old 10-14-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This seems like a common problem. Hope they get it fixed for the LS2 GTO's.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

My 04 GTO has 13800 miles on it. I don't have any issues with the car at all, none. And I don't baby it all the time either.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:11 AM
Teching In

my local dealer gave me several run arounds with my 2000 chevy K2500 ( classic style) last of the 454's =)

anyway ,, always BS not bad BS just the verge of a run around with the center console , locks , windows and rear END locking up. around turns it would randomly lock ,, it was even doing it in the dealers lot with them watching it hop and chirp and BS ,,, nope its not broken ... i blew it in the parking lot ,, the tighter the turn the harder it locked , that 454 blew it up nice nice. The service manager turned white when i got out and said nows its F'n broke and threw my keys at his head.

If you are having problems with your car , make an appointment ,, take it there pull it up right in front of their main bay door put er in park get ou lock it and dont tak no for an anwser even if u have to go to the GM or ,, the owner. and yes dealer owners frequently have an office up stairs. Deny to take the vechial back claiming it has an unsafe condition. call GM raise a fuss. imagine u are on the highway doing some where on the far side of the speed limit and she breaks and locks up. Guess what you better be flexable because its time to kiss ur butt goodbye. or atleast a few body panels ,, maybe a window , definatly a rim or 2.

PS ive been lurking for a while this topic and theese damn dealers just **** me off and they pissed me off today actually so ,,, well yup i registered and posted

Quick Reply: Another Rear bites the dust!