Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Bad Bad News....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by granitemonkey
Imagine what the 05 Mustang could do with a blower kit from ATI or Vortech
imagine what an 05 GTO could do with a blower kit from ATI or vortech...
Old 10-15-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Angus66

Again, another interesting wild-A5S guess, but it might be a good idea to actually drive or ride in one before forming an opinion on how comfortable/quiet they are or aren't...
Well, I've ridden in and driven '04 Mustangs and LS's (the platform the '05 'stangs are based off of, if anybody doesn't know) - and unless the new Mustang is about 4x as steady and solid as those 2 platforms - I'm certain the statement of the GTO being much more refined is fact, not an opinion.
Dan
Old 10-15-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's ok, let him think the new mustang has attained a level of "refinement" associated with luxury coupes. Sometimes the dissappointment is worth the comment.

And BTW, since I now work for a fleet management company, I actually drove a new stang last summer. It went along with the Maisto diecast that ford gave us (which I promptly gave away).
Old 10-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by granitemonkey
Imagine what the 05 Mustang could do with a blower kit from ATI or Vortech
Ok imagine what a GTO could do in the same instance - man people post some screwy stuff on these forums
Old 10-15-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok ok, I was being sarcastic. I know the GTO with a blower would be baddass, I fell in the love with the Monaro vid. The one where the guy put a Whipple 3.3 on it The refinement of the GTO far exceeds anything ever put in a Mustang.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:52 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If GM was worried about beating the Mustang at the dragstrip, then they'd still be building Camaros and Firebirds or at least something very similar.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Funny how people talk **** about the Mustang and how slow it's going to be, then someone posts numbers and all of a sudden we start talking about the GTO's luxury amenities instead of its own performance numbers. I'd take the Goat in a heartbeat but rather than acknowledge the Mustangs better than expected performance numbers people bitch and run to the excuse department and claim the comparo isn't even. Yah, comparing a 30k GTO to a 75k CLK55 ain't fair either but I don't see anyone crying about the fact that the GTO was the obvious winner as its bang for the buck factor more than made up for the 75k worth of pretty interior and SOHC V8 the Merc packed. Then again I guess it's only fair since the Ford guys whined for years while the 4th gens F-Bodies ripped on their SN95s. Now its the blue oval boys turn to laugh since the GM guys don't even have a pony car to play with.

If anything the Mustangs suprising performance numbers are a good thing. Perhaps the fact that a Mustang GT can run with an LS2 GTO will prompt GM to build the Woodward Dream Cruise 6.4L Goat as a last hurrah to go up against the Cobra before the Zeta based car is introduced.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody said the mustang was slow/slower. I simply stated that they are two different classes of cars and that the GTO is a class above the mustang in terms of luxury and refinement.

I've been there and done that with bare bones fast cars. That was fine and dandy when I was 21. I'm now an old fart at 32 and I want the performance AND luxury and that's where the GTO fits the bill. The mustang DOESN'T.

Understand?

Someone comes here and posts "OH no, the GTO is done because the mustang is quicker!" type of posts. So the new stang runs 5.1 (0-60) and the GTO runs 5.3. OMG!!! Lock up the women and children, batton down the hatches, alert the proper authorities! Arguing such a minimal difference (face it, .2 of a second is chicken sh*t that can be made up on a f8cked up launch, missed shift, etc) is like farting for time length. So you win! But at the end, both still stink!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
Nobody said the mustang was slow/slower. I simply stated that they are two different classes of cars and that the GTO is a class above the mustang in terms of luxury and refinement.

I've been there and done that with bare bones fast cars. That was fine and dandy when I was 21. I'm now an old fart at 32 and I want the performance AND luxury and that's where the GTO fits the bill. The mustang DOESN'T.

Understand?

Someone comes here and posts "OH no, the GTO is done because the mustang is quicker!" type of posts. So the new stang runs 5.1 (0-60) and the GTO runs 5.3. OMG!!! Lock up the women and children, batton down the hatches, alert the proper authorities! Arguing such a minimal difference (face it, .2 of a second is chicken sh*t that can be made up on a f8cked up launch, missed shift, etc) is like farting for time length. So you win! But at the end, both still stink!
BS. When that vid of the Mustang running a mid 14 at the track hit the web people dogged the car all day and night and talked about how shitty it was going to be blah blah. Now that the car has thrown up more respectable numbers people tuck their tales between their legs and look for excuses.

There is nothing wrong with luxury amenities (I never said there were, do you understand?). I'm saying that people only bring the luxury aspect of the GTO into play when it is outgunned by the Mustang. People around here like to remind everyone that the GTO is 300-400 lbs. heavier than the new Mustang and how the two cars are in different classes and they try to downplay the fact that the GTO is slower to 60 and through the 1/4. But when GM announced that the LS2 was going into the GTO it was talk **** time about how the Goat would hand the new GT its *** at the track (I thought they were in different classes huh?). What now? True the LS1 is only slower by a few tenths, but a few tenths is still a few tenths. With equal drivers... YOU STILL LOSE. Think about what you'd say after a few hot laps or a drag race. If you came out on top, and the 2nd place guy said "well you only won by a few tenths" don't pretend like you wouldn't respond with "yah well I still beat you", am I right? 10 cents says when the LS2 GTO hits the streets and if and most probably when it is shown to be quicker than the Mustang, people talk up those few tenths like the GTO is God.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in the Goat Boat and I'd pick it over the Mustang any day of the week. I absolutely love the vehicle for everything it is. Understated yet classy styling, absolutely bad *** motor under the hood, a damn spiffy interior that is lazy boy comfortable, and all for a not too recockulous price. I just find it amusing how some people **** themselves when the reputation of their precious musclecar is threatened and go to great lengths to defend their vehicle rather than giving kudos to the competition for stepping it up. Honestly, how many times have you heard the "If the 4th gens/GTO/insert car name had a blower, the Cobra wouldn't stand a chance" defense. Gimme a break. If, If, If grandma had ***** would be grandpa. Competition is almost always a good thing as it forces everyone to step their **** up to keep things on an equal playing field. I'm just saying that you should give credit where credit is due.

Like Chrysler did with its LX cars, it appears Ford has hit a homer with the next Mustang. How can this be a bad thing? I'm happy at least someone is building a RWD V8 powered 2+2 for under 30k. It's bad enough we had to lose the F-Bodies, an awesome Mustang is better than a shitty one.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I just wish GM would back the GTO/Future Fbodies and other sports cars like Ford backs there Mustang. I like the GTO and I like the Mustang, if I had to pick, id go with the stang cause of the aftermarket options from its own company. Dont get me wrong, if I wasnt into aftermarket speed parts and stuff like that I'd love the GTO, but I have learned that being a GM person comes at a cost, High cost to my freakin pocket book. GTO=BMW quality and feel, Stang= cheap go fast parts. Both have there strong points. I hate GM for not backing there product with a heavy aftermarket line, there are only 4 pages in the GM performance parts catalog, I'd hate to see how many pages Ford will have for there product this year.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I have the mag at home and recall the et to be about a 13.4 at 99.1 mph. If you ask me, that really isnt that impressive. Yeah, the fact that they pulled a 13.4 out of a car that they dynoed at roughly 276hp and 29x tq (as I recall) is a feat non the less. But you have to take in mind that MT has professional drivers. These guys do nothing but play with new cars, and they know how to drive, thats what they are paid for. Its kind like sticking Dale Jr in a C6 and yourself in a C6. If you both took some laps at Tala'DALE'ga he will obviouslly beat you. I know that is a very broad comparison, but I think that it gets my point across.

Anyway, for the average person who is going to get the new gt the odds are stacked against them that they are going to run a similar time. I have seen several accounts of these models running high 13's and low 14's. Just like any sports car, it all come down to the driver, their abilities, and their understanding of the cars performance and attainable goals while still in stock form. Just look at the fact that every magaize rated the ls1 fbodies at running a 13.6. As we all know a 'new' f body would more than likely drop that number by a few tenths, and a bit more with someone who knows how to drive the car.

Fry
Old 10-20-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am calling BS on those motor trend numbers. I have the issue. That drove a manual for the road test, just like all the other mags. Then, they somehow got an auto for the test, and with "little time" (their words) were able to get performance numbers AND a dyno run.

The car will be a high 13 second car. I will wait and see what MMFF does with the car, btw.

-Todd
Old 10-21-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bruddahh,

I've been racing for a few years so, yea, I know a few tenths are a few tenths. I understand that. However, I've had the no holds barred, maximum number machine in the Camaro and it's fun to drive in it's own right, but I'm getting to be an old fart and I want something a little more, dare I say, "civilized". This unfortunately comes at a price. That being weight. I guess my whole point is, I'm willing to give up a few tenths in performance for that.

It just so happens that GM is upping the ante from the factory in '05 and things will even out some regardless of what "class" they're in.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magazine racing is

This all BS till the mustangs and the LS2 GTO hit the streets and your local track.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Back on topic, C&D says 14.0 1/4 mile for the new Mustang GT. How they could be so drasticly different makes me wonder who's information is most accurate.

I agree with WILWAXU, lets see both 05's side by side at the track. I'm pretty sure a stock LS2 GTO though heavier and more comfortable and refined will still wax a stock GT by at least a little. (Drivers skills pending of course.) Modded to Modded, the greater displacement in the GTO really makes me think it will open up a can of whoopass on the GT with similar mods.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

All i have to say is i have a bone stock 04 GTO with an automatic, bring out any new mustang gt stick auto i don't care, as long as it is stock i will drag it down the quarter mile with my GTO any day of the week. Even if it it has intake and exhaust that mustang will have a nice impulse blue stripe down the side of it.

And by the way the Dana 44 irs in the GTO is a pretty strong unit. Look at what the C4 guys and the Aussie's have done with it.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CSiJason
Back on topic, C&D says 14.0 1/4 mile for the new Mustang GT. How they could be so drasticly different makes me wonder who's information is most accurate.

I agree with WILWAXU, lets see both 05's side by side at the track. I'm pretty sure a stock LS2 GTO though heavier and more comfortable and refined will still wax a stock GT by at least a little. (Drivers skills pending of course.) Modded to Modded, the greater displacement in the GTO really makes me think it will open up a can of whoopass on the GT with similar mods.
C&D times were estimates I believe. I still think the motor trend times were bs. I think they were payed to do those and make it have great times especially since they won't let other mags do times (check out MMFF for that BS). I don't think the trap speed is that off from the motor trend though or the 0-60. 13.6 though..nope..0-60 in 5 seconds and doing a 13.6 at that low of a trap speed doesn't work, the 4th gear sucking isn't an exuse..i have a lower 4th gear and still trap much higher with a similar 0-60

-Toddd
Old 10-23-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
C&D times were estimates I believe. I still think the motor trend times were bs. I think they were payed to do those and make it have great times especially since they won't let other mags do times (check out MMFF for that BS). I don't think the trap speed is that off from the motor trend though or the 0-60. 13.6 though..nope..0-60 in 5 seconds and doing a 13.6 at that low of a trap speed doesn't work, the 4th gear sucking isn't an exuse..i have a lower 4th gear and still trap much higher with a similar 0-60

-Toddd
This leads me to think....does ford advertise alot in that magazine?
Old 10-23-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 04 Gto

Check out the current issue of GMHTP, they have an '04 GTO, Torrid Red m6, it did 0-60 in 5.1 secs. 3900 lbs car+driver. It was making 302rwhp and 311rwtq. It pulled through the 1/4 in a best of 13.40 at 104mph. Well, there goes this argument. Oh, by the way, as I was driving by the local Ford dealership today, a kid and his dad(?) pulled out in a brand new silver 05 Mustang. Needless to say, I think he ended up taking it back, and went to a GM dealership to look for some used F-bodies. Hey, wait a minute, is this the first 05 Stang kill?

P.S. This dealership has 2 Ford GTs

Last edited by BLOODTA; 10-23-2004 at 07:29 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 10-23-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOODTA
Check out the current issue of GMHTP, they have an '04 GTO, Torrid Red m6, it did 0-60 in 5.1 secs. 3900 lbs car+driver. It was making 302rwhp and 311rwtq. It pulled through the 1/4 in a best of 13.40 at 104mph. Well, there goes this argument. Oh, by the way, as I was driving by the local Ford dealership today, a kid and his dad(?) pulled out in a brand new silver 05 Mustang. Needless to say, I think he ended up taking it back, and went to a GM dealership to look for some used F-bodies. Hey, wait a minute, is this the first 05 Stang kill?

P.S. This dealership has 2 Ford GTs

and it was done in 86 degree weather.a GT will not be faster than an 04 GTO.

an 05 GTO will smack it around.

Quick Reply: Bad Bad News....