Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2005 GTO Appearance "improvements"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GTO Appearance "improvements"

I have seen the pics of the 2005 GTO and I am a little disappointed. First of all the hood looks outdated, pretty nuch the same scoops they used on other pontiacs and they don't quite conform to the rest of the lines of the car, I was expecting a more low profile snorkle like those used on the original GTO's, so I think pontiac is still not getting it.

The 2004 hood is clean but plain, but the 2005 just seems to be missing an exciting design for the hood that can live up to the GTO heritage and it is way too similar to ram air hoods on late 90's pontiacs, it's glaringly obvious that very little research and originality or GTO lineage went into the design of the 05 GTO hood.

The 04's DO live up to GTO heritage since the first GTO's were very very plain themselves even more blah than the 04's, anyone who says the 04's are plain are right, that was the trademark of the first GTO's! It's a compliment.

Now woth the 05 I can see that they are going to start overdoing it again like they did with the trans AMs and start adding on tacky not very well thought out body cladding. The 05's rear bumper is an example, it looks like it belongs on the back of a small pick up truck and the dual exaust looks like it came from a grand prix. Where are the GTO dual dual tip exausts!!! I think I'd rather have an 04 and get aftermarket parts. My 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Launching!

I like the 05s, when the 04s came out, I thought they needed split dual exhaust and Pontiac obliged while throwing in a Vette motor, needless to say I want one bad, and hopefully will get one after the first of the year.

Last edited by FRMRGM; 12-26-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

I'm GLAD they didnt use the lame 'dual dual' tips like EVERY OTHER PONTIAC on the road for the last 10 years.

The only reason the hood resembles any other Pontiac hood is because it is made to look like other Pontiac hoods. Duh... Why would they make the vehicle look like something it isnt?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AMCAMX

it's glaringly obvious that very little research and originality or GTO lineage went into the design of the 05 GTO hood.
i agree. i think its "glaringly obvious" that very little "research and originality" went into the design for the GTO in the first place. i also agree bout Pontiac messing up the trans am..
Old 12-01-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

The hood blends in well with the rest of the car, and it was designed by Holden to look correct on it in both Australia and the US. They did as good a job as they could do.

If you really don't like the hood that much, there are nice aftermarket pieces that are more retro.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LT1Burnout
i agree. i think its "glaringly obvious" that very little "research and originality" went into the design for the GTO in the first place.
Considering the originals were rebadged Tempests, and this one is a rebadged Monaro, I'm not sure what you're getting at. None of them were engineered to be a "GTO" in the first place. Most classic muscle cars were simply hotter versions of existing cars, including my GN.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TriShield
Considering the originals were rebadged Tempests.
very true..

didnt really mean anything by that.. IMO the new GTO just looks kinda plain thats all. not bad at ALL, just not too fancy IMO only.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Default Wiat That Hood Rocks!!!

Originally Posted by TriShield
The hood blends in well with the rest of the car, and it was designed by Holden to look correct on it in both Australia and the US. They did as good a job as they could do.

If you really don't like the hood that much, there are nice aftermarket pieces that are more retro.

OHHH, if THAT is the hood that comes on the 05' than I take back what I said about them not living up to GTO heritage. That hood on the black car is EXACTLY what I would have expected them to do it looks like the 69-70 Raim Air hoods and THAT is GTO lineage all the way. The hood I weas refferring to had to long sqaure shapes that look oddball to the lines of the rest of the car, it was the hood in the write up a few posts down "everything you wanted to know about the 05 GTO".. the hood in that car looks tacky as hell.

I'd still just get an 04 and then get that 69-70 retro ram air hood and put the stock hood on a rafter in the garage. Don't like drive by wire, and the traction control sounds WAY to sensative on the 05.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1Burnout
IMO the new GTO just looks kinda plain thats all.

hehe, exact thing was complained about on the original GTOs, according to my dad who was around back then.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

That is an aftermarket hood. Though you CAN order the 05 without the hood scoops. Personaly, i'm not so much for the retro hood, but it does look good... I'll take the 05 hood and be happy that it is functional.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Isnt it just functional as letting cool air to the engine, not as an actual ram air setup?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Default Tips

Originally Posted by CSiJason
I'm GLAD they didnt use the lame 'dual dual' tips like EVERY OTHER PONTIAC on the road for the last 10 years.

The only reason the hood resembles any other Pontiac hood is because it is made to look like other Pontiac hoods. Duh... Why would they make the vehicle look like something it isnt?
I agree I am glad they did'nt use the same ole' lame dual tips either, they could have used some really nice UPGRADED modern dual tip designs like those found on BMW M3's and M5's. Single dual tips are getting really old looking and while I agree they look better than the 04 it just doenst look right to me, an M3/M5 type set up would have fit the modern body much more cleanly, conformed to the GTO heritage and appealed to the euro car crowd, winning them over to the GTO.

The hood doesnt make it look like a GTO at all, that's why and it doesnt look like it belongs on that body at all. It's square scoops on a car with curved rounded lines, the hood looks like an afterthought. I HOPE that the black car pictured above IS the 05 hood and NOT those tacky rectangular scoops in the "everything you wanted to know about the 05 GTO" write up. They look like they got them out of a JC whitney catalog. The hood on that black car is 100% what they could/should use. My 2 cents.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I like the '05 scoops. There are only so many ways you can make two simple scoops look like lol.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

Their are no pictures in my other thread... So you must be confused with something else. Here is an actual 05 hood.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 GTO Appearance "improvements"-untitled-6.jpg  
Old 12-02-2004, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

When the 04 came out I liked that GM put something out but I wasn't to crazy about it. Now with the improvements for the 05 I want one, I never thought I would want to part with my SS but I'm seriously considering it now.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

The hood also had to look good on the Monaro, hence the modern styling. It's only throwback in that it has scoops now like everyone seemed to want.

Coincidentally, we were supposed to be getting the Monaro's 18s too but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I have no idea why. Good thing they're also available through aftermarket vendors.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AMCAMX
I'd still just get an 04 and then get that 69-70 retro ram air hood and put the stock hood on a rafter in the garage. Don't like drive by wire, and the traction control sounds WAY to sensative on the 05.
http://www.mpd-inc.net/GTO.htm

MPD makes that hood, I think it's the best aftermarket hood so far for the new GTO. It looks great and I'm going to consider it if I get one.

The 04s are going to be the cheapest way to get into a new GTO, and with the 05s on sale Dec. 20th the rebate and dealer discounts on the remaining 04s should get even better. It's already a bargain for what you get, and the 05s probably won't be as cheap this time next year.

You can buy a hood, nice set of wheels, tint the windows, and nicely mod the powertrain with all the money you save.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

I think those GTO's are great looking cars. True they are subtle, but thats what the LS1 and LS2 are for. I think the hood looks great on the 05. I remember how much everyone hated the Ford Taurus looking front end on the camaro's when they changed from the LT1, but that all went by the wayside after people got used to them. Of course this coming from a guy that went from a C5 to a Tahoe.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Default Hood scoops

The 05 scooped hood is an option? I don't think I'd pay for a hood that looks like it came off the ponitac minivan-it is almost the same design! All they did was slap on a hood they pretty much already had, probably so they coould say..."well you wanted a hood with scoops here ya go"...I really think they dropped the ball with it especially since it is not a functioning ram air to the intake and THAT is not worth extra money. When I saw the 04 I simply thought it needed a hood to make it look more like an original GTO in details, and thats what I expected them to do in 05', to make it look more like a GTO, instead the hood they used does not do anything to make the car more retro at all, it looks liek their mini van hood. If they had actually looked at the old GTO's like the aftermarket scorpio hood guys obviously did they would have had a winner but the optional 05 hood does not blend well at all with the lines of the car or the grill wich also should have been redesigned so it didnt resemble a grand am anymore. This is a GTO. It looks better on the monaro, well they will only have one more year to get it right..06' is the end of the production run for the new GTO. I'll be getting an 04 in a few months when they are even better deal, 05's don't seem to be worth the extra investment needed over the 04's.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually it's a 'hood scoop delete' option. I'm not sure, but I'm assuming it's the same pricing. Now if only I could decide if I'm going to give my '04 the rear wing delete option...
Dan

Quick Reply: 2005 GTO Appearance "improvements"