Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Advantages of a Ram-Air hood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 02:48 PM
JSU
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantages of a Ram-Air hood?

Hey everyone, Iam interested in getting a ram air hood (like gravana's) but i dont know about the advantages/disadvantages of one. Can someone point out all the gains and losses of one of these?
Old 12-12-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

They're only good for looks. The induction is ideal where it's placed already.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
They're only good for looks. The induction is ideal where it's placed already.

I doubt it is even open..it probably has some plastic in the whole to keep air from getting in like the Sn95 GTs
Old 12-12-2004, 09:35 PM
JSU
Teching In

actually if you look at the underside of it you will see how the air is routed to your intake. So why wouldnt it provide a perfomance gain?
Old 12-12-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

if its funcional then you get more air into the engine and then you can add more fuel.

more power!
Old 12-13-2004, 01:10 AM
Teching In

This may belong in another thread but the conversation here got me thinking. Why is the intake at the front? Couldn't you turn the intake around to the rear and use the intake scoops to direct the air directly to the manifold there? Seems like it would have to make a lot fewer bends, and probably flow better.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by darkitec
Seems like it would have to make a lot fewer bends, and probably flow better.
It doesn't.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Teching In

All aftermarket ram air hoods I have seen do collect the air and duct it to the stock airbox site. Some just end up there with an useless opening making you believe that if you install a KN CAI type airintake system you will have more air available for your LS1. False, when that LS1 engine gulps air it will breathe from the under the hood hot air. Remenber, them CAI systems require you to remove the stock airbox leaving a conical KN airfilter just sitting there out in the open. On the contrary, the stock airbox is sealed and gulps air from under the radiator level providing colder air. Question is: Does the Goat already have all the air it needs available? I cannot answer that question but the GM people think it does; while, many a guys here report hp gains with CAI systems.

MPD has a ram air hood for which they have available an airbox to dedicate the ram air straight to the mpd airbox. How much gain is there in that is up for you to find out if you wish. Nevertheless, all the aftermarket ram air hoods take off from one given fact: the stock airbox position will always be the position for their airfilters. As such, all airducts have their air reserves on top of the LS1 without insulation routing the air to a location above the top of the stock airbox position. What do we really have is a nice frying pan to duct fried air into your LS1 engine. Do you want that type of air: hot? How hot does it get anyway?

Ok this is my position. No available ram air hood is worth your money. Ahhh, wait a minute. Gravana has said that they will build and test a Woodward hood with true dual Woodward type ram air. They will work on that past Christmass and we should be hearing from them in about two months I guess. I have hopes the Woodward hood will give us an effective alternative for it is the only ram air hood that has two dedicated ram air ducts connected to two tubes that feed directly on the LS1 MAF.

Other than that I suppose all them ram air hoods are for looks only. AED Central has an alternative hood coming soon and Gravana already has an 05' looking hood available. If I were you I would wait for the Gravana Woodward project to unfold.

Last edited by Antonio de Armas; 12-14-2004 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:12 AM
JSU
Teching In

sounds good thanks for all the info! btw mti implies that they have a ramair hood in their 455 brochure (its a upgrade) anyone have info on
that? thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply: Advantages of a Ram-Air hood?