Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Radio Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Removal

I went to Circuit City to get XM installed and they told me they couldn't remove my radio without the tool. I then went to my dealership who didn't have the tool either. They told me it would take 7 weeks to get it from Australia. I've only been waiting five weeks to get a bracket for my windshield as well as floormat clips. I then went to a professional stereo outfit and they told me they could get the part locally. I am due to bring my car in tomorrow, but they just called and told me they still don't have the tool. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I love my GTO, but getting parts is a major pain. You think GM, after all these years in business would get their act together and start acting like a real company in terms of sales and fulfillment.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought I read on LS1GTO that you could make that tool with a wire hanger. I had to do that with an old blaupunk radio.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Its not exactly the best method, but i've done it before on an older GM factory radio and it worked.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Ford has these same "holes" on many head units they had put into cars as well. The tool to pull these out are known as "din keys". In all honesty, a solid copper wire or coat hanger bent straight, 4 pieces, could each be inserted into the 4 holes until you hear a click and then pull the unit out. Simple as that.

Quick Reply: Radio Removal