Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

'04 GTO auto problems.... torque converter locks/unlocks alot

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 09:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '04 GTO auto problems.... torque converter locks/unlocks alot

I've noticed this quite a bit on my fiance's '04 GTO A4 we just got. It had about 50 miles on it when we got it and it has been doing this ever since we got it but only on certain occasions. Basically if you are driving up a hill or even on flat ground, at a steady speed, with very light pressure on the gas pedal, the car will kinda surge. Usually happens when you are kinda bogging it in overdive. Maybe 40-45mph at about 1200-1300 rpms or so. Its really weird. Basically the torque converter seems like it locks/unlocks/locks/unlocks alot. Its really weird. The thing also kinda shifts shitty sometimes... which I thought was just normal to the '04 auto GTO's. Sometimes the shifts are delayed, sometimes they are real firm, and even a few times at a WOT shift, its felt really weird... not like it was slipping, but just like the tranny didn't know if it should shift or not. What do you guys think? Does anyone else's GTO do this? At first I wasn't worried, but now I'm starting to wonder. Its not too big of a deal, but for a $33k car, you think you wouldn't have stupid problems like this. Now I remember why I liked my '04 GTO M6 so much. LOL Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Jeremy

*Sorry for the shitty descriptions... its really hard to describe exactly what its doing, but I'm trying.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

Anyone think I could disconnect the battery and let the PCM "relearn" driving charateristics? It only has 700 miles on it... a guy on another board suggested this?!?!

thanks- Jeremy
Old 04-11-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA91
Anyone think I could disconnect the battery and let the PCM "relearn" driving charateristics? It only has 700 miles on it... a guy on another board suggested this?!?!

thanks- Jeremy

Jeremy, you could TRY this,....it would mean disconnecting the positive and negative terminals, and touching them together for about 15 seconds. This will reset the computer on any car.

....but, as far as your tranny problems,...the torque converter LOCKS at 45mph, and WILL UNLOCK at 44mph, 43mph, etc etc. You need to keep a steady foot on the throttle my man....so if your on, and off the throttle, at 45ISH mph or less, your gonna probably have this problem over and over again. Hope this helps pimpin.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Jeremy, you could TRY this,....it would mean disconnecting the positive and negative terminals, and touching them together for about 15 seconds. This will reset the computer on any car.
I've never heard of doing that before... hmm, weird.

....but, as far as your tranny problems,...the torque converter LOCKS at 45mph, and WILL UNLOCK at 44mph, 43mph, etc etc. You need to keep a steady foot on the throttle my man....so if your on, and off the throttle, at 45ISH mph or less, your gonna probably have this problem over and over again. Hope this helps pimpin.
That's just it though... I DO KEEP A STEADY FOOT ON IT! It does it with a slight load on the motor, constant throttle, in OD, and the tach will only move 100rpms or less when it does it... its more of a surge than anything, but I really think the TCC is trying to unlock and lock. It should not do this. I'm quite familiar with the old 3rd gens with the 700r4 and 2.73's. They were really bad for bogging in OD around town at 40mph or so and they would lock and unlock the converter, but not surge like this. I really think the "surge" is the TCC locking/unlocking very rapidly... almost faster than you could notice. Sometimes you can't even see it on the tach, you can just feel it through the car. Like I said, its very hard to describe, but I'm trying my best.

Thanks for the input, everything is greatly appreciated!

-Jeremy
Old 04-12-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem dude,...but, the converter locks at 45mph, unlocks at 44, locks at 45, unlocks under 45mph. I keep stressing this cause your saying that this is happening at "40ish" mph. If you have problems outside of what i just menyioned, I would say go to your local dealer, and go for a ride with there best tranny tech. Hope this helps brother.

James
Old 04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

No problem dude,...but, the converter locks at 45mph, unlocks at 44, locks at 45, unlocks under 45mph. I keep stressing this cause your saying that this is happening at "40ish" mph. If you have problems outside of what i just menyioned, I would say go to your local dealer, and go for a ride with there best tranny tech. Hope this helps brother.

James
I see what you're saying... I'll have to check it out a little more.

thanks!

Quick Reply: '04 GTO auto problems.... torque converter locks/unlocks alot