Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

*sigh* Went to pick up my GTO, didn't take it home

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005 | 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default *sigh* Went to pick up my GTO, didn't take it home

My 2004 GTO was hit in the rear in the end of March, and has been at Mac Haik Chevrolet (a perferred service location for my insurance company) ever since. Well, I get back from the Power Tour and make a phone call to see if she's ready. The service manager I've been working with (Bob) wasn't available, so I left a voicemail. No call back, so I call again a few hours later and simply ask the counter gal if its ready. She said it was, so we head over to pick up the car. Here's a list of what I found in the 5 minutes walking around the car:

1. Front plate drilled into the bumper - I requested *twice* that it not be installed.
2. Flat rear tire - Bob stated it goes flat in a day. Didn't before the wreck, and it wasn't flat the day after the wreck when I went to photo the car. I have photo proof.
3. Sanding scratches under the paint nearly everywhere they repaired. Very obvious, not little tiny ones either. Looks horrible.
4. Numerous dings and creases in the panels where it looks like they were a little quick to fix things.
5. Much more orange peel than the factory panels, very obvious when looking at the rear of the car (ie. trunk panel insert painted by factory, versus bumper cover painted by dealer).
6. Plastic radiator core support beauty cover was cracked in the wreck. What did Mac Haik do? Simply snap off the cracked portion and make it really shiny with Armor-All. I guess they thought I wouldn't notice.
7. Bob stated after fixing the car, the low coolant warning would not shut off. He brought the car to the Pontiac dealer down the street for them to "fix" it, saying there was some recall on the coolant warning. I'm checking on whether or not that is bullshit.
So, that's what I find in the first five minutes, and this is after they've had my car for two and a half months.
Old 06-13-2005 | 04:56 PM
blownerator

Damn man.....sorry to hear that
Old 06-13-2005 | 05:04 PM
On The Tree

One more reason why I hate most dealers. Pissing me off just reading about it...I would hate for that to be any one of my cars. I hope everything works out for ya.
Old 06-13-2005 | 10:00 PM
Teching In

That sux, i hate dealers. I regret buying my GTO just for that reason. Give em hell. Id try to get the insurance company to pick up my car payments (good luck, my father had to hire a lawyer on that one).

Sorry to hear about that.

LURCH
Old 06-13-2005 | 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Bullshit man, I hate shitty jobs. Don't let em off without doing it right....like it should of been the first time. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2005 | 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Sorry to hear about the problems Brian. Hope it all works out for you. Give that dealership hell, they were paid to do a job and they half assed it. Keep us updated.
Old 06-14-2005 | 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear that man.
Old 06-14-2005 | 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another reason why I NEVER use an insurance co's "preffered" service center . . .

Sorry to hear man, hope all gets worked out with the repairs.

Some people just don't have any pride in their work. . . .
Old 06-14-2005 | 12:57 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Another reason why I NEVER use an insurance co's "preffered" service center . . .

When I was in high school and wrecked my IROC, I took it to the Chevy dealership thinking that since they sell the cars, they can fix them better than anyone else - not to mention they were a preferred repair shop.

I learned my lesson. I have since only used dedicated body shops. I'd rather pay more money and have superior quality work - and if the insurance is paying for it, then even better.
Old 06-18-2005 | 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to tell you this but the car will NEVER be right! Better sell or trade it. NO ONE can do factory work,paint ect. Sleepless nights are in your future!!
Old 06-20-2005 | 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bobby777
Sorry to tell you this but the car will NEVER be right! Better sell or trade it. NO ONE can do factory work,paint ect. Sleepless nights are in your future!!
That's not 100% fair to saythat . . . there are quality body shops that can bring a car back, it just finding the shop to do it.

My 81 Camaro was broadsided 1 month after getting it, the shop put it back together better than when I bought it, and the paint even was nicer!, So it can be done . . .
Old 06-20-2005 | 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

tell them to go screw them selves and then tell them screw themselves again! stupid lazy *** people....tell the insurance company you want everything redone and done some where else!
Old 06-21-2005 | 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, today was try #2 ... Phone rings, and its "Your car is ready!!" ... I cruise over there, and the same problems exist as above. They did take the front plate off though. Bob promised to "raise hell tomorrow morning" so we'll see what happens...
Old 06-21-2005 | 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now I suppose Bob is going to raise hell over his shitty repairmen, right?

Either way, that sounds shitty man. I'm sorry to hear that. I hate insurence ****.
Old 06-24-2005 | 10:03 PM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Brains
Well, today was try #2 ... Phone rings, and its "Your car is ready!!" ... I cruise over there, and the same problems exist as above. They did take the front plate off though. Bob promised to "raise hell tomorrow morning" so we'll see what happens...
Well, atleast they fixed the easiest thing to fix . Lets see 'bout the rest so you can get to drive the car and mod it some more with some of the "new" parts you have
Old 06-24-2005 | 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I'm kinda anxious to get it back -- but I absolutely will NOT take it back until its right. I have a rental car now, paid for by my ins. co. since I broke the torque arm on the Formula I'll probably keep the rental until the GTO comes back, that way I can (finally!!) start on the Mustang LS1 project
Old 06-24-2005 | 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

insurance companies are crooks. Their "preferred service centers" are probably the one's that are the cheapest. Like the ins. companies don't already make enough money. Scumbags
Old 06-25-2005 | 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn Brian, You've been without your car longer than I was without mine. It's been so long I forgot about it and assumed you had gotten it back weeks ago. Don't take it back until they get it right. I'm sure you know, once you take it, if you find something else later you'll play hell trying to get them to do anything about it. chris
Old 06-26-2005 | 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bobby777
sorry thats not true...a good shop can get it as good as new...i took my corrado to a reputable shop near me and the paint was 10X better than stock...this car had 7k worth of damage to the passenger side front quater..after gettin it back it drove beter then when it went in...i also did a color change and u would never know...the car was black when bought it

ohh yea dont feel bad it took me 6 months to get my car back...but it was worth the wait plus i added alot of custom work
Attached Thumbnails *sigh* Went to pick up my GTO, didn't take it home-fc86213c.jpg   *sigh* Went to pick up my GTO, didn't take it home-fc71cf6e.jpg   *sigh* Went to pick up my GTO, didn't take it home-fc71cf67.jpg   *sigh* Went to pick up my GTO, didn't take it home-fc862138.jpg  
Old 06-26-2005 | 04:44 PM
Banned

samething happened to my camaro the computer started a fire under the hood and they were suppose to replace everything burnt and when i got it back 3 months later, i saw that if a new part would cover a burnt part they wouldnt have to replace they wouldnt replace it and they didnt put new interior in until i told them i noticed that they reused the smoke damaged ****

Quick Reply: *sigh* Went to pick up my GTO, didn't take it home