Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

B&M Shifter broken bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M Shifter broken bolts

Yesterday after less than 3 months installed (by an actual certified mechanic who is into racing) my shifter broke the lower dovetailed 5/16-18 bolt on the shifter main housing. Step 16 sof the instructions shows what broke. Thread adhesive was used and it did not vibrate out. Has anyone had problems with these shifters staying togeter? What has B&M done for this if anything?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Ha. Same thing happened to me!!! I had to repair my leaky ripped rubber gasket anyway. I replaced the 4 cheap dovetails with grade 8 bolts with lock washers and poly nuts. check out this post over at ls1gto http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40555
Old 10-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Teching In

I printed that post and will take it to my mechanic tomorrow for him to look over.
How long did you have yours before it broke?

Fantastic info. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

not very long, we installed it and it leaked right away and the bolt broke shortly after. now my B&M hasnt leaked or broke anything since the final instal in june... so go figure and they were put in the exact same way....
Old 10-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Teching In

The leak was cuz you over tightened my bolts!!! - Kidding. The bolts holding the shifter handle came loose after about 2 months. And I don't drive my car very much. I would say less than 1k miles on the shifter and they were loose! I also did the right hand side spring only, seems to be much better than both of the additional springs added. If B&M ships these with the new rubber gasket, and all the parts they sent me to repair my gasket and you add the grade 8 bolt set up, this is a GREAT shifter. Thing is the consumer has been left to do their R&D. If anyone from B&M is reading any of the posts here or at LS1GTO they would add the grade 8's to their shifter just to avoid the potential problems that are out there. Also, if they would include a 6mm 1/2 hex bit to remove the front to bolts holding down the adapter and add a 6mm closed 12 point box end wrench to the required tools it would be PERFECT. Enjoy the shifter, I know that I do.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by freelancer
The leak was cuz you over tightened my bolts!!! - Kidding.
Sure... blame it on the wrench monkey! and i do believe that you gave the final turn on the bolts

so, you gonna help on the cam install? its sitting in my living room right now!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:35 AM
Teching In

Sure, bring it over. I'll give the kids each a torque wrench and a hammar. I bet it comes out PERFECT!!!

Quick Reply: B&M Shifter broken bolts