Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Test in Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 10:17 AM
10 & 11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many magazines seem to knock the GTO for some reason. GM High Tech is always on our side and has more informative articles anyway so just read that mag. As far as the Charger, it is one of the ugliest cars made (imho), although the SRT8 is gonna give the GTO a run for its $$,this is Brent B`s (w/the 10.66 turbo GTO) new ride.

**** Srt-8 12.56@111 Mph Bone Stock ! ***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WENT TO ATCO TODAY

MY CAR IS STILL BONE STOCK HERE IS MY BEST RUN

1/8....8.11
MPH...86.56
1/4....12.56
MPH....111.50
Old 11-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redarrow
The GTO was faster,...
Not True.

You got me curious, so I glanced at the artricle summary while in Walgreen's: unless I'm mistaken the Charger won in the 0-60; 4.9 vs. 5.2...the Charger was faster in 0-100, and The Charger was maybe 1/2 a second faster in the 1/4 mile, (both were in the 13's)

For some reason I thought a 400 HP GTO would haul more and better a$$ than that --- heck, a garden variety LS1 Z28 purchased used at less than half the price of a GTO could match/beat the GTO...

Nonetheless, if both were the same price, and I had to get one, I'd still opt for the Goat...
Old 11-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z-Vert
Not True.

You got me curious, so I glanced at the artricle summary while in Walgreen's: unless I'm mistaken the Charger won in the 0-60; 4.9 vs. 5.2...the Charger was faster in 0-100, and The Charger was maybe 1/2 a second faster in the 1/4 mile, (both were in the 13's)

For some reason I thought a 400 HP GTO would haul more and better a$$ than that --- heck, a garden variety LS1 Z28 purchased used at less than half the price of a GTO could match/beat the GTO...

Nonetheless, if both were the same price, and I had to get one, I'd still opt for the Goat...
You didn't glance well enough then.

'05 GTO
0-60 4.7
0-100 11.7
1/4 13.3@105.9

'05 Charger SRT8
0-60 5.0
0-100 11.9
1/4 13.5@106.3

I think the GOAT held it's own pretty well. With the $10k that I saved on the GTO (this assuming you can actually find a SRT8 for the listed price) I'm looking at a Maggie and some BMR goodies. I'm kinda suprised that MT gave the nod to the SRT8, but then again, I'm a bit biased.

I'm also very suprised at some of the 12 second passes perported by the SRT8 crowd. I'd think for the extra heft that they carry around that they would be stuck in the mid 13s somewhere. I wonder if Dodge is underrating the engines a bit on them. Very impressive in my book for a 4250lb car.

wile2k
'05 Yellow GTO
Old 11-19-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Im with you guys The GTO is the **** right now, true modern muscle. What I dont understand is the lazziness of the Pontiac people in their marketing strategies. With an aggressive campain the GTO's would be selling like hotcakes. Im so sick and tired of seeing GM only giving credit to the SUVs, pickups and trucks.

Possibly next year I will be getting my goat!!! **** the Charger and Mustang their asses are mine!!
Old 11-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Default gto

Yeah the GTOs are badass....i like em alot mroe than the old Fbodies and theyre alot faster stock!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

going back to the article about the mustang vs the gto. the gto won in every single catagory except for losing by one point in the "you gotta have it" catagory. every other catagory was like top speed, horsepower, steering etc, all good things to compare each other to, then theres the stupid " you gotta have it" crap. how stupid. gto doesnt get nearly as much credit as it deserves.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

My first GTO was in an accident and was totaled by a drunk driver. Before I went out and bought a new one I went and drove the 05 mustang, the new vet, and the charger. Here is my take:

Mustang - Midgets would fight over space in the back seat of the mustang. I made the salesman almost **** his pants because I really pounded on it through the gears. He almost pissed, I almost fell asleep. The car didn't stick to the road as well as the GTO and didn't compare in the fun factor

Vet - All I could say about the new vette was wow. If I could have snuck it by the wife it would be sitting in the garage right now. No back seat disqualified the vet. Amazingly crafted car, still too expensive. Anyone remember the 35-45k vet they promised us when they killed the camaro???

The charger - It was a very nice car. It was extremely plush and had all the toys. I thought it drove well but cornered like a truck. Most importantly, it accelerated like a truck. Deffinitely the most refined of the bunch. Something I would buy my wife to drive though, not myself.

The GTO - It has been a long time since I drove something with as much raw power as the GTO. It handles well but rides pretty poorly compared to the others. It has decent interior room but it isn't your wifes car It is the ultimate in fun factor. Iit has a more agressive tone than the vet and felt almost as strong.

This range of cars went from about 28k for the mustang to about 60k for the vet. The best balance of everything I drove was the GTO far and away. Deffinitely the best value. What you get for the second lowest price point of all these cars is amazing.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Let the general public believe what it wants. When they get their doors blown off, let them ask the magazine writers why it happened.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love the GTO and am thinking of purchasingt one in the near future. i cant understand for the life of me why it dosnt sell better than it does. its the best bang for the buck arround. people in eourope love the car and it sell well. it also sell like wildfire in austrailia. it seems to me that in america marketing plays a bigger role than the quality and fun factor of the car does.

even though i love the GTO to death, i still remeber when i saw it the first time... i was realy dissapointed.. i was hoping for a new replacement for the F-body
Old 11-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CSiJason
Chrysler clearly pays more in advertising to C&D and Motortrends publishers. Of course they'll win any showdown. In fact, I read this months C&D and was shocked to find the C6 Z06 beat the new Viper.... (By a landslide, mostly due to "vehicle" catagory points.) Magazines print what their advertisers want to see. He who spends the most money always gets the best reviews, this is the truth.
i think you missed something in the z06-viper showdown. as far as i recall the vette was quicker and faster in all categories vs the viper...including being 2 seconds quicker to 150.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

going back to the article about the mustang vs the gto. the gto won in every single catagory except for losing by one point in the "you gotta have it" catagory. every other catagory was like top speed, horsepower, steering etc, all good things to compare each other to, then theres the stupid " you gotta have it" crap. how stupid. gto doesnt get nearly as much credit as it deserves.
I remember that issue and im not sure if you guys knew this but motortrend (or whichever mag it was) recieved more hate mail and argumentative emails/letters/phonecalls regarding that comparison than any other in the history of the magazine's publication. They mentioned it in the next month's issue in one of the front sections. That just goes to show you something. They were clearly biased or ignorant, and did not properly judge the cars. A "gotta have it" score is just plain sophomoric. I cant believe auto makers actually lend these kind of guys their cars, or that some of these guys are even paid to write articals on them!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

"i cant understand for the life of me why it doesn't sell better than it does. its the best bang for the buck arround."

================================================== =======

I can only speak as to why I do not have one:

The 2004 had a 350 HP engine, the 05-06 are 400 HP.

If you never want to buy a first year model, under the theory it may take a few years to get the kinks out, then the Goat is not for you.

The cars are made in Australia.

If something goes wrong are there parts around? Not that many have been sold, there's not a ton of aftermarket stuff available, not a bunch of local mechanics who know those cars.

What if GM pulls the GTO plug in 07 or 08 due to sluggish sales? Then there will never be ample parts or mechanics.

There's a certain resentment in this car being called a GTO, some of my age 45+ friends remember the original Goats, and that name really means something to them, and they feel calling this car GTO is a dishonest marketing trick.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

I'm not trying to cause a ruckus, I have some interest in the Modern Goat, but those are all legitimate concerns.

And maybe I'm biased but I think my 02 Z28 Convertible, purchased last month with 11,500 miles for $20K with extended 5 year warranty from date of purcahse is pretty good bang for the buck...

300+RWHP, easy to mod, tons of parts, mechanics and LS1 forums crawling out of the woodwork...the unbroken Z28 tradition back to 1967...

I really hope the Modern Goat sticks around and prospers, it's surely got potential --- I'd love to see a thriving line in 2008, maybe then I'd buy a 2005 and mod it just a touch.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"i cant understand for the life of me why it doesn't sell better than it does. its the best bang for the buck arround."

I can only speak as to why I do not have one:

The 2004 had a 350 HP engine, the 05-06 are 400 HP.

If you never want to buy a first year model, under the theory it may take a few years to get the kinks out, then the Goat is not for you.

The cars are made in Australia.

If something goes wrong are there parts around? Not that many have been sold, there's not a ton of aftermarket stuff available, not a bunch of local mechanics who know those cars.

What if GM pulls the GTO plug in 07 or 08 due to sluggish sales? Then there will never be ample parts or mechanics.

There's a certain resentment in this car being called a GTO, some of my age 45+ friends remember the original Goats, and that name really means something to them, and they feel calling this car GTO is a dishonest marketing trick.

I'm not trying to cause a ruckus, I have some interest in the Modern Goat, but those are all legitimate concerns.

And maybe I'm biased but I think my 02 Z28 Convertible, purchased last month with 11,500 miles for $20K with extended 5 year warranty from date of purcahse is pretty good bang for the buck...

300+RWHP, easy to mod, tons of parts, mechanics and LS1 forums crawling out of the woodwork...the unbroken Z28 tradition back to 1967...

I really hope the Modern Goat sticks around and prospers, it's surely got potential --- I'd love to see a thriving line in 2008, maybe then I'd buy a 2005 and mod it just a touch.
Come on man....

1st year model?? The car is practically the same thing as the australian car that has been around for years.

Car made in Australia? So what... your 4th gen was made in Canada and the vast majority of stupid americans are buying foreign (read Asian) cars... at least the money from this "australian" car goes to GM (american company).

And I'm sorry, but your comments about lack of mechanics, lack of knowledge about the car, lack of aftermarket, and lack of parts for these GTO's is waaaaaay off base. Almost all the motor/transmission aftermarket stuff is the same as C5/C6/Fbody stuff and the aftermarket is more than supporting these cars for cosmetics, wheels, etc, etc...

And as for the old timers not liking the Goat... that is a bunch of bullshit. I'm a diehard Poncho fan (old old stuff and the new Ponchos) and this car is exactly what the original was. Midsize sedan/coupe with a big HP v8, RWD, great performance, and IT LOOKS LIKE THE OTHER PONTIACS ON THE ROAD RIGHT NOW... JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL DID. GTO's were not fancy looking or racy looking or anything back in the day... they were a damn tempest/lemans and in '65-'67 they looked almost exactly like the overweight Catalinas, Bonnevilles, and Grand Prixs. Damnit, what is wrong with America???

*I will say one thing though, GM's GTO marketing has COMPLETELY sucked....

I have now owned 3 "new-era" GTOs and I've loved them all... M6 and A4 '04 GTO's and now the '05 LS2/A4 GTO we have. This one is my favorite and I'll own one of these new Goats til the day I die! Not to mention my other 3 Pontiacs and my future '65 GTO or '68 bird.

Am I bias?? HELL YEAH!! Is it wrong?? Not necessarily LOL
Old 11-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Not to sure about that easy to mod part!! I still have scars to proove that the fbody was not easy to mod! Thank God I don't have to jam my whole arm underneath that f'ing cowl anymore!! Or lift the car, turn the wheel and practically dislocate my shoulder to change the #8 spark plug... Or not being able to pull the motor out because I don't have access to a lift.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nascar20

Not to sure about that easy to mod part!! I still have scars to proove that the fbody was not easy to mod! Thank God I don't have to jam my whole arm underneath that f'ing cowl anymore!! Or lift the car, turn the wheel and practically dislocate my shoulder to change the #8 spark plug... Or not being able to pull the motor out because I don't have access to a lift.
LOL, how true! That's why I love the LS1 in my '91 GTA... easy to work on!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 91ChevyRS
The funny thing was I read a similar article in either Motor Trend or Car and Driver and they pitted the 05 LS2 powered GTO against the 05 Ford Mustang GT....guess who got the better word from them?

They said the GT Mustang was overall better quality for the money, and alot more comfortable to drive.

But then again you look at a 300hp 4.6 liter engine and pit it against something massive like a 6.0 liter 400hp engine and you got yourself some stiff competition.
My friend has a 05 GT Stang. I infact almost purchased one myself until I drove a GTO. While the Stang looks pretty done up some (louvers and wheels) stock it is bland, which the same can be said about the GTO. But the GT is uncomfortable as hell. I had a 03 GT and it sat and drove better than the 05 GT. And he even has a fully loaded 05 GT (auto, mach 1000, iup, etc.). The GTO has much more luxury over the GT Mustang as well, such as auto lights, dual 8-way seats not one 6 way seat, more comfortable seats, better fit and finish, can actually seat 4, lights in glove box and console, a/c vents in back, sterring wheel controls, better computer system with flexibility, and more. Not to mention the new 3 valve motor sounds like **** with any exhaust. Where as a stock GTO sounds nice and any modded one sounds better. There are only 2 things a GT has that are cooler/neater/better than a GTO, and those are: Shaker 1000 stereo, and 125 color gauges.

Other than that no comparison.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

how is the Charger anyway selling in the US? this has to be one of the uglyest 250HP+ sports cars i have seen. if it sells better than the GTO there is something realy wrong with either USA(******** buying crap cars) or GM (a company that doesent know how to build and sell cars but have awsome engines thoug)
Old 12-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Teching In

I'll kill any Charger or DCX SRT vehicle on the street in my slow GTO. Let's do it quick- snow's falling. This weekend is last the car will see this year. Detroit- hit me up. Have $$, kthx.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GTA91
Come on man....

And as for the old timers not liking the Goat... that is a bunch of bullshit. I'm a diehard Poncho fan (old old stuff and the new Ponchos) and this car is exactly what the original was. Midsize sedan/coupe with a big HP v8, RWD, great performance, and IT LOOKS LIKE THE OTHER PONTIACS ON THE ROAD RIGHT NOW... JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL DID. GTO's were not fancy looking or racy looking or anything back in the day... they were a damn tempest/lemans and in '65-'67 they looked almost exactly like the overweight Catalinas, Bonnevilles, and Grand Prixs. Damnit, what is wrong with America???

*I will say one thing though, GM's GTO marketing has COMPLETELY sucked....

Am I bias?? HELL YEAH!! Is it wrong?? Not necessarily LOL

What a well thought out response --- and yes I omitted part of you answer.

Like I said, I'm responding from the view point of a semi-typical car buyer that the new Goat was aimed at --- I most certainly am not like the people on here who do all of their own work, (wish I could)...but anyway...

So to me, "easy to mod" means I can choose between a wide variety of upgrade options, and my best friend who has been a mechanic all his life can put them on, (and he has messed with F-Body models since 1967 and he really likes them)...likewise if I need something OEM there are a plethora of parts easily obtainable...

I realize the LS1 is crammed under the hood and certain things are hard to get to, but that's not a peculiar concern of mine --- probably a poor choice of words on my part...

Saying the original Goat looked like all of the other Pontiacs is a great point, and may be true --- but when plans for a Modern GTO were announced, no one was thinking, "Great, it will look like a modern plain jane Grand Am only it will have a better engine."

I'll agree GTO marketing sucks, and think your passion and bias is a good thing...

Again, I think I'm the typical buyer the Goat is intended to attract, I've put aftermarket exhausts and K&N Filters on my last 3 vehicles, I buy Hemming's Muscle Car Magazine every month, heard of the Zeta platform, but I'm certainly not a gearhead --- I have a decent non-auto related career, wife and kids, and I'm just trying to explain why I have not (yet) opted for the Modern Goat.

I'm interested enough that I looked at a couple at a dealership in Alcoa, Tennessee

And I do prefer the 05 to the 04, so maybe me and the Goat are coming closer together...we shall see...rumors of cancelling the Goat due to disappointing sales aren't helping any though...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:53 AM
12 Second Club

I'm just trying to explain why I have not (yet) opted for the Modern Goat.

I'm interested enough that I looked at a couple at a dealership in Alcoa, Tennessee

And I do prefer the 05 to the 04, so maybe me and the Goat are coming closer together...we shall see...rumors of cancelling the Goat due to disappointing sales aren't helping any though...
If you're starting to come around and like the GTO so what if it's going to be cancelled ina couple years? What does that have to do with anything? The manufacturer is required by law to continue to support discontinued models with parts and so forth and there is still going to be available aftermarket parts for the LS1 and LS2. Your car would be less common and will someday be a potential collectible if that happens. I hope GM does drop it and the 50,00 of us (or however many there would be) who have them are the only ones who ever do.