Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New tires: wow those BFG's sucked!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires: wow those BFG's sucked!

I replaced the back pair at 9600 miles or so because they were bald, but the fronts looked halfway decent. A little worn on the outside edges but nothing too major. To keep them matching, I put the BFG KDWS back on it. Fast forward to yesterday, at 19,230 miles. The rears were down to the cords in the centers (oops) and the fronts looked like I have underinflation problems (36psi each corner, checked religiously). I figure I'll put wheels on the car sometime soon, so I go with the cheapest tire I can find that is still "acceptable." I picked the bottom-rack Kumho Ecsta 711, for 69 bucks a pop. I'm thinking they'll be a bit poor in comparison to the higher-dollar BFG's -- hard as a rock compound, flimsy sidewall, noisy, etc. I was wrong! These tires are better in every way when compared to the BFG's. If these Kumho's feel this good, I can't imagine how much better the car would feel with a GOOD tire! We'll see what kinda tire mileage I can get out of them too, its not like I really beat on my GTO anyway (that's what the other cars are for).
Old 12-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

I don't blame you for switching. I put some Yoko ES100 out back and I think they are better than the BF's too.

How do you compare the noise level between the Kumho's and the BF's?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

I have those tires (Kuhmos) too, they do outperform their price. Traction at the dragstrip has deteriorated as they have aged but I can't complain. No problems on the street, even in the rain.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

They're definitely quieter than the BFG's. Not by a ton, but enough for me to stop and think about it. They're noisier when the car hits 2nd gear though I haven't tried it spraying yet though
Old 12-30-2005, 10:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yup! hated those tires.

now I drive around with nitto drag radials all the time. lol
Old 12-30-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Smitty's05gto
yup! hated those tires.

now I drive around with nitto drag radials all the time. lol
I had Nitto's on my Firehawk, and I'll likely grab another set for the Goat one day.

Quick Reply: New tires: wow those BFG's sucked!