Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Sat radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat radio

Sat radio is not available with the GTO except as an aftermarket item -- right?

So I called my local Circuit City, who said no face plate sat radio has been made for the GTO. Also, that since it's Blaupunkt with 2 ohms rather than 4, the whole radio & speakers would have to be replaced if I want sat radio to be in the dash rather than stuck on it. Ballpark figure -- $800 & up.

Alternatively, I can add sat radio at lower cost by having some aftermarket gadget that needs to be affixed to the dash somehow. But that looks so cheap, at least to me.

Has anyone added sat radio, either integrated or tacked on? If so, what hardware did you get & how do you like it?

I may still get a GTO despite this obstacle, but I gotta say GM looks pretty dumb for not offering sat radio at least as an option on the GTO.

Last edited by JAXRS6; 01-16-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JAXRS6
Sat radio is not available with the GTO except as an aftermarket item -- right?

So I called my local Circuit City, who said no face plate sat radio has been made for the GTO. Also, that since it's Blaupunkt with 2 ohms rather than 4, the whole radio & speakers would have to be replaced if I want sat radio to be in the dash rather than stuck on it. Ballpark figure -- $800 & up.

Alternatively, I can add sat radio at lower cost by having some aftermarket gadget that needs to be affixed to the dash somehow. But that looks so cheap, at least to me.

Has anyone added sat radio, either integrated or tacked on? If so, what hardware did you get & how do you like it?

I may still get a GTO despite this obstacle, but I gotta say GM looks pretty dumb for not offering sat radio at least as an option on the GTO.
Well you have to understand that the Monaro was brought over here as the GTO. It was to fill the gap left by the Camaro and the Firebird/Trans-AM. GM also decided to keep all GTO's optioned the same to keep costs down. Transmission and color choice are pretty much the only choices on the GTO. The wheel size option was added later, but essentially all GTO's are the same. That just made things a whole lot easier for GM. Especially in the support and parts shipping areas.

There are MANY options for the Holden Monaro that we do not get on our GTO's. 4 doors, various body and spoiler options, engine choices, added guages, digital HVAC, just to name a few.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks Firehawk. But I still don't see how not making sat radio available would save GM anything, since they already offer it on other Pontiacs & must stock parts anyway. Ditto for radio hardware. It's not like the sunroof, which would require special design, parts stocking, etc.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JAXRS6
Thanks Firehawk. But I still don't see how not making sat radio available would save GM anything, since they already offer it on other Pontiacs & must stock parts anyway. Ditto for radio hardware. It's not like the sunroof, which would require special design, parts stocking, etc.
The big issue is that Holden sends the cars out essnetially as you see them. The stock Pontiac parts would have had to have been sent over to Australia for installation, or the cars would have to be finished here. In the end I think it was more trouble than GM wanted to go through. I also think that they were hoping to capture alot of the F-Body audience which wasn't concerned about options and fluff so much as performance. Satalite radio is just starting to really take off. It doesn't surprise me that its not in the GTO. Even as an option. Not saying that it's right.

I wish we had better radios in the GTO in the first place. Sadly we don't. But I didn't buy the car for the radio. I bought it because it's the best performing car I could get for the amount of money I had to spend.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

**** I wish I had onstar.

Quick Reply: Sat radio