Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New member with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with some questions

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and had my 06 GTO for a few months now and I've been thinking of some mods. Been thinking about getting an Intake & exhaust set up for now. But I was just wondering to what extent of moding does it require the engine to be electronically tuned? btw I'll apologize ahead of time for stupid questions as I've owned mostly sport bikes rather than perfomance cars. also any negative effects from removing the rubber blockers on the hood scoop?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

about the hood baffles, just be careful in the rain.

Obvious first mods would be less restrictive mufflers, an X pipe, and longtube headers. You can generally do all the boltons without needing a tune, i'd hold off on that until you get a new cam.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

i wouldn't waste time with a tune unless you at least did headers... a CAI and a cat back doesnt really need a tune. other things could be.... plugs, wires, short throw shifter (if you got a stick), CAGS eliminator, TB, tires and other small stuff.

and with the rubber inserts, nothing wrong with taking them out.. just will have a bit more water comming into the engine bay when it rains, but its not like water doenst get in anyways. they arent going to help with feeding air, but heat extraction...
Old 02-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Banned

I would say CAI and a cat back would be safe to do without a tune. Though headers or a cam would need one IMO.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks all for the reply's thinking maybe I'll got "brute force" intake and loudmouth2 x-pipe and down for now... she's got less than 600miles so still trying to break her in but it'd be nice to give her just a bit more... btw comparing the GTO to bikes pure fun factor wise they pretty damn close bikes would still spank my gto but coming home from work during a storm and NOT BE SOAKING WET is priceless lol
Old 02-03-2006, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

enjoy it, i love mine.

i agree with what is posted already, if you get headers you may need a tune for no other reason than rear o2 sensor deletion if you go cat-less like i will be.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rone
Thanks all for the reply's thinking maybe I'll got "brute force" intake and loudmouth2 x-pipe and down for now... she's got less than 600miles so still trying to break her in but it'd be nice to give her just a bit more... btw comparing the GTO to bikes pure fun factor wise they pretty damn close bikes would still spank my gto but coming home from work during a storm and NOT BE SOAKING WET is priceless lol
Sounds like some good first mods there, and who said you can't beat a bike and be dry?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CrabhartLS1
Sounds like some good first mods there, and who said you can't beat a bike and be dry?
My cashflow
Old 02-05-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gotzaGTO
i wouldn't waste time with a tune unless you at least did headers... a CAI and a cat back doesnt really need a tune.
The LS1 stock tune is much better than the one for the LS2. The '05-'06 PCM leaves A LOT of horsepower on the table. Even a bone stock LS2 will pick up power and driveability from a tune. On top of that, the MAF is extremely sensitive on the LS2. Even a CAI can throw it off a little in some cases (hit and miss really).

CAI, catback, tune will net you a difference that's worth the money spent on an LS2.

Quick Reply: New member with some questions