Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Question for GTO Owners....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Mid
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for GTO Owners....

I'm thinking about leasing a new GTO. I'd like to know what owners think about their cars.

How do you GTO owners like your GTO's? List your likes dislikes?

Consumer Reports says reliability is below average? Do you have any problems with it?

Do you daily drive it? How is the fuel economy? What are your overall thoughts on the car? Is there anything in particular I should look out for?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 02:16 PM
11 Second Truck Club

My wife daily drives our 05 GtO. It's at almost 10k miles and no signifigant problems so far. It's very comfortable. I still get to drive it occasionally.
My dislikes are the footrest next to the clutch leaves no room for my foot on the M6. There is only one 12v outlet for accesories. And while there is plentiful and comfortable room in the back, the slow seat motors make it awkward to get in.
That's about it, everything else is great. My only trip to the track with little seat time in it resulted in a 13.1 @ 108 with 2.1 60 ft. Not bad for a heavy car. This was bone stock on stock tires. The shifter is great for fast shifts but could be easy to grab the wrong gear because it is spongy. An inexperienced racer should be cautious w/ the M6 on fast shifts.
I think they are an all around great car!
Oh yea, the mileage seems to be getting better for her too. It gets 18 city now which was around 15-16 when newer.
The low end torque is amazing. My Z06 made 280 ftlbs @ 2000rpms stock. The Goat made 320 ftlbs @ 2000rpms stock. Does that tell you something?

Last edited by LS1BirdDRG; 03-20-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mid
I'm thinking about leasing a new GTO. I'd like to know what owners think about their cars.

How do you GTO owners like your GTO's? List your likes dislikes?

Consumer Reports says reliability is below average? Do you have any problems with it?

Do you daily drive it? How is the fuel economy? What are your overall thoughts on the car? Is there anything in particular I should look out for?

Thanks
I bought my 2004 GTO used in July 2005, with under 3,000 miles on it. I've put about 12,000 miles on it since then as a daily driver. It gets about 20.5 mpg during mixed driving 50/50 highway/city. I get on it whenever I feel the need though. So, it could be up around 21 or 21.5. That is on the factory tune and no mods. I usually cruise at 70 mph on the highway and 55 on smaller roads. The mileage isn't bad for how fast the car is though.

My only real problem is having a compentent GM technician to work on a HVAC problem I have. It's been to the dealership twice and they still haven't fixed it right. They thought they fixed it both times, but they obviously don't spend much time checking their work.

It's actually a quiet car with a decent ride. I do think you should check out the paint very closely. Mine has a couple of spots in the paint that look like a maple leaf was sitting on the car and stained it. I have no idea how it got there. It was there when I bought it.

Edit: I forgot about the tires. Make sure you rotate your tires soon enough! I didn't and had to buy two replacements for the rear.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an 04. I really like the car. Looks good, goes really well and is comfortable.

My ride is an A4. Gets about 21 mpg highway and 16 city. I am not gentle with it either.

I have nearly 9,000 miles on it. Runs great and have had no real problems. It has never been back to the dealer ship.

The power windows do not appear to up 100%. They are 99.75% there, but just low enough to let tiny little dribbles roll down the window in a car wash. Not enough to let the dealership animals tear my doors appart.

Likes: Small, Nice simple disign - unlike the gaudy cars Pontiac was making. Very peppy, the 350 HP LS1 is very nice. Even though an A4 still lots of fun to drive. Built really well. Fit and finish inside the car is great. Stereo is not bad. Handles very nice.

Dislikes: non user freindly tilt wheel. No power door lock/unlock button. Access to back seat is insane - although once there it is nice and roomy. Getting out of back seat is like a birthing experience. Itty bitty trunk. Ignition key is enormous.

For the price I bought mine for, it is a great little car. I don't beleive in leasing cars . . .

Quick Reply: Question for GTO Owners....