Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

10 worst things about your GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After having my '06 for a month now, here are the nits I'd pick:

1. Damn small trunk. Not a biggie for me, but I did like the 30 cu/ft in the Camaro.

2. Poor map lights. I miss the lights on the rearview mirror in my Z28.

3. No oil pressure or voltage gauges. I mean, come ON...!

4. Heavy-a$$ engine skid plate. 3/16" thick ballast. A sturdy plastic piece would be adequate IMO.

5. No iPod input. Sheesh, get with the program GM!

6. Skinny tires. Biggest you can go without flaring the fenders is 285/40-18. WTF?

7. Offset shifter. I actually like the stock shifter believe it or not, but would it have killed GM to put a solid linkage in there? Talk about overthinking the plumbing...

8. Resonator. Oh please - it's just dead weight. Replaced mine with an X-pipe, and there's no drone at all. Another "WTF".

9. Trunk release button placement. I loved where it was on my Z28; now I have to open the glove box to hit the button.

10. Door lock operation. On my Z28, if you locked the doors with one of them opened, when you closed the door the alarm would automatically set. Can't do that on the GTO (or at least, I haven't figured out how to make that work yet).

Overall, these are tiny, tiny gripes. My Camaro couldn't hold a candle to the GTO, and I'd take it over my Z28 again if I had to.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Traction, wider tires (in back at least)
2. limmited room inside the fenders for wider wheels and tires
3. wheel hop, should be helped with new bushings, rear end cover, and 1 piece driveshaft
4. stereo is "OK" maybe even above average, but has no Nav /
5. WTF Who took my trunk? (gas tank placement)
I am interested in getting a monaro gas tank (if possible)
6. onstar, it's the only gm product (Available with leather) that dosn't have onstar standard
7. super slow power seats
8. Warrenty? it's only 36000 miles, that will take me a year and a half at my current rate, my vw came with 50K (and that was a golf)
9. aftermarket support, not much out there, and what "is" out there, is expensive
10. Can I find a dealership service department that at least knows as much about the car as me?
Old 04-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Teching In

Default Top Ten

I just picked up a 2004 silver M6 with 7,400 for $18K in January. I spent 3 months scouring the net until I found this one. I wanted to buy during the winter - as the weather warms up so does the price...
The weight - 3725lbs. Although not bad it's 500lbs heavier than the vet.
You can't order them as you want. Coming from Aussie land they didn't want mistakes - long trip to and from...
The 04 exhaust system is configured around Aussie regs. Thats why you see 2 pipes on the left and the fill on the right. But, its a true dual system.
The CAGS system can be a PITA in traffic - you can't get to 2nd while rolling along trying to time traffic.

But - these are nothing compared to the fun I'm having driving it - its a blast
Old 04-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

1. small trunk due to some dumbass govt regs
Old 04-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Teching In

1. i get more attention in it than i got with my ws6 :p
2. slow seats
3. heavy - but i like the solidness of the car
4. smallish tires

The speed sensitive settings are like 30-45-60 before it switches from intermit to regular speed.
The trunk release is on the keyfob, why open the glovebox?
Those who complained about the stereo have you turned up the gain on the amp? The amp is behind the liner on the driver side in the trunk.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:00 AM
On The Tree

1. Weight
2. Wheelwells....275's...WTF?
3. Slow power seats.
4. Button for power seats that I keep kicking and breaking every time I get in the car.
5. Head unit not MP3 compatible.
6. Why couldn't we get 2 suicide style doors for the backseats?
7. IRS
8. 2 Peice axle
9. No cupholders in back.
10. Shifter.
11. Too many people are scared to race.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:03 AM
On The Tree

Oh yeah I forgot....
12. For $28K wheres my Onstar?

But really I would buy it again in a heartbeat
Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KdubFL
Oh yeah I forgot....
12. For $28K wheres my Onstar?

But really I would buy it again in a heartbeat
damn strait
Old 05-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Default :)

I own a 2006 Cyclone Grey GTO -- 3,200 miles on it right now........ 10 things i dont like??? I dont think i can think of 10? but here's what i can think of...

1. Small *** stock tires (i got the 18" rim option, but 245's?!!?!?)

2. No stock sunroof (you can get one put in for $1095, same one as on the Holden Monaro)

3a. The slow seats arent really a complaint-- it just takes longer to get in the car then it does to get to where you're going....who the hell wants someone messing up your back seat anyway???

3b. Other people in my car kicking the door when they get out and leaving dirt streaks on the door/speaker......

4. The 130 MPH warning indicator that you can't set any higher-should at LEAST go to 170.

5. The cheap rear-view mirror. I had a Grand Prix GTP before the GTO and it had an auto-tint mirror with OnStar. I miss the auto-tint and outside temperature....

6. People are confused by the door lock button in the center console.... Push once to unlock, push again to lock...... people are always pulling on the handle and screwing it all up............

7. Every riced-out car on the road revs their little scooter engine with coffee can exhaust wanting me to waste my time and gas on their $4,000 used Honda Civic hatchback. If you're reading this PLEASE STOP, you're making yourself look retarded.

That's it! Most of the things i mentioned can be changed with some after market stuff.......GO BUY ONE!!! I haven't driven a car more fun to drive on the street under $40,000--especially once its broken in ~2500-3000 miles.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Teching In

couldnt you change the indicator with a programmer?

i too am thinking of selling my z28 and going to a gto but all i can really afford would be an '04 is it worth it? or are the '05-'06s alot better?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Some of the things listed I would not change. For example, I mention the small trunk, but I would not want it changed as it would adversely impact the styling and potentially lead to a heavier car. I LOVE my GTO, so finding things that are negative about my car is difficult. With that said, here is my top-ten list:

10. No oil pressure gauge
09. Width of rear tires too norrow
08. No button to unlock doors
07. Traction control on by default
06. Seats move too slowly during adjustment
05. Trunk is extremely small
04. Does not come with full-size spare tire
03. Wheel hop w/ IRS
02. Car is way heavy
01. Car is too fast - Hehehehe

-K
Old 05-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Only thing I didnt like I already changed,mainly everything Pontiac tacked on to an otherwise great vehicle. (bumper and spoiler).
As a Holden its an exceptional car..
Old 05-03-2006, 07:46 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA91
I've got to add one more... can't believe I forgot it...

11) worst dim lights I've ever seen, but the best bright lights I've ever seen
You need to adjust your headlights. Seriously.

Mine sucked when I first got my car, and then I adjusted them correctly, and now I think the low beams are as good as the highbeams.

The only car I've ever owned with better headlights was my WRX STi, which came with factory HIDs.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
You need to adjust your headlights. Seriously.

Mine sucked when I first got my car, and then I adjusted them correctly, and now I think the low beams are as good as the highbeams.

The only car I've ever owned with better headlights was my WRX STi, which came with factory HIDs.

All 3 GTO's I've owned were the same... WTF?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question for you GTO owners: are the LS2 cars THAT much better to recommend the $5K+ over buying an '04, or would the '04's be worth paying the ~$19K with under 10K miles? M6 or course.

The reason I'm wondering is because I love Goats and would love to own one, however not only is the cheaper price of the '04's eye-catching, but IMO the Barbados Blue is THE hottest color on these cars, if not any car, and I'd love to get my hands on one but they're only available on the '04's.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by radkon
1. 3. poor defroster performance

Turn your AC button on when you run it. You have to adjust the humidity for a windshield to not be fogged up. In American cars, that happens automatically, but not in alot of foreign built cars including ours. It will make a big difference.

Last edited by bandit12; 06-21-2006 at 01:55 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FreeMyndz v.fp
DAMN...well, I DID ask for nit-picks...

-the trunk...ehhh, I dont golf nor do I travel heavy...(I'm just making excuses now, right!?!?!)

thanks for all the responses,
Mike
The trunk is small...but two full sized staff bags will fit.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

For me it was the stock brakes (04) but I swapped with the Baer GT 2 piece 13inch brake kit, the low beams (replaced with Hoens), and the trunk (put on a hidden trailer hitch). It's all good now!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

1. Trunk space
2. Tilt adjust
3. No coat hanger
4. hard to get my son in/out of the back
5. Tachs go crazy sometimes in the dash.
6. No XM option
7. No outside temp.
8. A pilar hits the head of anyone that hasn't been in one before when they get in/out.
9. Keyless entry range sucks....have to be within 20 feet to work well.
10. No dead pedal.

It was hard coming up with ten....even with all of them, I have no plans of selling it....EVER!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Man new 04 A4 owner here with a maggie on the way!! I love it except my stinken fans stayed on tonight I think I got a fix. I like the smooth look no one around here knows what the hell it is I need to peel of all the emblems etc to mess with them even more. I cant belive the mini van ladies that try to race to the merge I just try to keep even and run them into the curb! Same with the darn Escalade owners they think they own the darn road out here!

Quick Reply: 10 worst things about your GTO