Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Lose, or Gain Power, or Neither ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lose, or Gain Power, or Neither ?

Quick question: I forgot, I think I used to know this back when I was always playing around w/my various Camaro's in high school and such, but.... do you lose a tiny bit of hp or lb-ft of torque if you take off regular mufflers and do something like str8 pipes, or , as I did, "glass packs" ?? Or is it just some "back pressure" that you lose, but then you actually gain a tiny bit of power overall at higher rpm's and such?? Or is it basically totally irrelevant , "power and torque"-wise ?? Sorry, I know this sounds dumb, but I need some guys' answers who know more about this kind of stuff in gen'l . Like I said before, I"m really just a bit of a "dabbler" with this kind of thing.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no backpressure generally loses low end torque, but increases high end HP.
an ideal system would be free flowing without restrictions, but have a little back pressure to help with low end torque.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:38 AM
TECH Resident

Most of the bolt-on cat-back systems are designed to be good overall performance and would be the best option when considering replacing the stock system. A muffler shop special may be louder but bends are typicaly crimp style, welds are not clean, materials used are usualy not stainless and overall the parts used are typicaly sub-par. (This comes from my many years of getting the "muffler shop special" on a number of different cars, often more than once to replace rusted out "muffler shop specials".)