Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Thinking of going to 05/06 rear bumper...questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of going to 05/06 rear bumper...questions.

OK, i'm ordering my Kooks and o/r mids when i get back from vacation. I'm considering going over to the 2005+ rear bumper over the winter. What all is involved? Is it as simple as getting a 2005 exhaust and rear bumper? will the Kooks and mid pipes bolt straight up (since i will be getting the headers/mids for a 2004 car)? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Lots of info can be found at ls1gto.com. Several different options, including cutting the 04 bumper and having good results. Try a search over there for a wealth of info.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I loathe that site.

I'd like to get this answered here. I hate that everyone gets sent to ls1gto from here when they have a specific question. It's time that we expand the knowledge base of GTO'S on ls1tech.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:24 AM

PM oxidizr I believe he's done it several times. IIRC the bumper fits right up and you just need to redo the exhaust behind the rear.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

To answer your question yes the bumper and exhaust will bolt right up. You will need to put a hanger on the passenger side and you might need to cut the impact foam that is under the bumper but that is about it. The header question im not so sure about. The headers might be the same for all year models but I think the difference is in the mid pipes, but im not sure.

Originally Posted by BlueSix
I loathe that site.

I'd like to get this answered here. I hate that everyone gets sent to ls1gto from here when they have a specific question. It's time that we expand the knowledge base of GTO'S on ls1tech.
You were reffered to LS1GTO.com because this question has been asked and reasked a million times on that site and some people (not me) get tired of answering the same question a million times. Im not trying to be rude but thats the truth. So to find the exact answer to the header question go to http://www.LS1GTO.com and find the answer, trust me its been asked several times.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I know it's been asked there.

The point is that there's no need to send people to another site when we can have the answers here.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know it's been asked there.

The point is that there's no need to send people to another site when we can have the answers here.
That's being lazy on your part, asking others to duplicate the information when you know it's already there.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Teching In

I loathe that site.

just out of curiosity, why do you loathe ls1gto?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I PMed you. Here are some pics. The last one is for good measure. Corsa, and 06' tails.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You've requested a writup. I will do my best.

I started by getting all of the parts to do the job. Thanks Cleveland Pick A Part. $700.00 for the rear bumper cover and insert, impact bar, foam insert, cat pipes with all four o2's, resonator pipe, both mufflers, all the bolts, nuts, and gaskets, and the heat sheilding to do the swap.

Started by removing the tail lamps, trunk seal, and the cat back exhaust. The tails will need to be carfully removed. After the screws are removed, they need to be gently pushed to the side. Rather than comming straight out the back.

Remove the cat pipes (if swapping for 05' units, or headers), otherwise, you will need a custom mid pipe made.

Remove the stock 04' bumper cover, followed by the foam insert. No need to change the impact bar. Use caution when removing the bumper cover. There are two 10mm nuts on each side of the bumper cover. They are mounted inside the trunk, and below the hight of the tire well. Then carfully pull the outer edges of the bumper cover off. Try not to damage the clips attatched to the body.

Start by installing the 05' foam insert, followed by the bumper cover.

Then reinstall the trunk seal, and tail lamps.

To convert your exhaust with stock stuff. Change out the cat pipes for the 05' units. Then install the resonator pipe, and mufflers. You will need to support the passenger side muffler while a hanger is being made.

Sounds like a long job. Only took me 3 and a half hours to do.