Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Should I trade my f-body for a gto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001FireBird
Thanks everyone for those replys. From what I'm hearing is that a GTO really stands up for its interior/build. Everyones is saying that its heavenly comfortable with no squeeks or rattles. But then again I'm not really picky about the way my fbody sounds right now. How does everyone feel about the power? I've read that stock for stock the GTO is close to an Fbody ( aside from those who say its definately slower ). I'd really hate to spend 30K for something that would make feel like I'm going no where.
I guess what I'm looking for is something that I can mod with noticable gains.Of I course I'd like to use this car to drive, not something were i'd barely make it down the street. Possibly make this my weekend warrior. I'm looking into a 06 GTO and I'm far impressed by the way this thing is. The looks arent as aggressive as I'd prefer comapred to a WS6 but its not ugly. Money is definatly not going be to easy, since I'm also a college student buying a new car. So whatever money I can get I'll try and use it for mods. What would you guys prefer? Fbody or GTO?

I love both cars, F-bodies AND GTO's. I'm not a fanboy of either. However, being an F-body refugee, and now a current GTO owner, I'll add my $0.02 since I've owned an LS1 F-body before my LS2 GTO.

Overall I feel the GTO is a better car. Like many have said, build quality is top-notch. The interior is hand down superior to the F-body, both in appearance and comfort. Once you sit in a GTO you'll see what I mean. And yes, you can actually fit two adults comfortably in the back seat of a GTO versus F-body.

While the GTO's are a quality product, if you're looking at buying a 2006, made sure you take a look at the struts. There are many '06 owners over at LS1GTO.com that have had their struts leak. Don't let that discourage you though, as their covered under warranty. The 2005 models don't have this strut problem, and in all honesty... besides paint colors and a few minimal cosmetic changes, the '06 and '05 are exactly the same. But you can get a "used" '05 with a couple thousand miles for mid-$20k.

As far as performance... I feel that a stock LS2 GTO is near identical as a stock LS1 F-body. While the LS2 GTO has 50+ more horsepower it's also a few hundred pounds heavier than the F-body so it balances out. Both cars are capable of low 13's, even high 12's under the right conditions and right driver.

GTO's are a more expensive car to mod. The market for GTO's isn't as big and diversified as the F-body, so things will cost more because of it.

As far as drag racing... the F-body has the advantage. The solid rear axle of the F-bodies is better at the strip than the IRS of the GTO. However there are plenty of Goats out there that can cut some killer 60' times with the right tires. The IRS can handle better in the corners though. The advantage of the IRS is a smoother ride, you don't feel every bump in the road like the solid axle. The IRS is really stout, too. Breakage in the IRS isn't as commonplace as in the 10-bolts. The one downside to the IRS that you have to be careful for is the wheelhop. But that can be fixed with upgrading the bushings in the IRS, and learning how to drive with it. It's totally different than the solid axle.

And while the GTO isn't as "bold" of a body stile as a WS6, it's funny how my GTO will turn heads everywhere I go. You see Camaros and Firebirds every day. You don't see a GTO every day.

So that's my take. Like I said, I'm not a fanboy of either car, and I tried to keep my statement as unbiased as possible. However, if I had to make a recommendation I'd say.... if you can afford it, try the GTO. Take one for a test drive. You'll love it.

Check out http://www.ls1gto.com and surf around. You'll find a ton of info there.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough call - The GTO's are much nicer inside and have a higher build quality, but they have weak grand am-like syling. The F-bodies have head-turning syling, but they are plagued by quality issues. Power is very simillar between the two, but the goats are more expensive. Overall, I think the lame styling of the goats is the biggest factor (which is one reason why they can't sell them and are going to stop making them). The bottom line: own both! Buy a cheap high-mileage f-body and beat the hell out of it;Drag race it, mod it, cruise the strip with it, make it loud and obnoxious, laugh when the interior falls apart, do smoky burnouts, pretty much everything that you are supposed to do in a muscle car. Buy a goat for road trips, burnouts at the grocery store, soccer games, PTA meetings, ect.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

I just bought my 04 6speed GTO, and I traded my 95 Z71 lifted Chevy truck that was clean and bad as hell! I don't regret it...the 04 6 speed is PLENTY fast for me, and has interior that is nothing short of a BMW or Benz. Also gets great gas mileage...Go for it!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Dont take this the wrong way but I would never ask someone else what is right for me.
When I heard they were bringing the Monaro to the US I knew I would own one. I didnt have to ask anyone. I think if you are unsure maybe you dont really want either one.
Power can be improved in any vehicle but looks are much harder to change and are very personal.
I would never drive a Camarobird,,they look like matchbox/cartoon cars to me.
SS looks like a bloated catfish and the TA like the batmobile with an acne problem.
Just like Camarobird fanatics think the Monaro looks like a Grand Am which it shares nothing with at all and would never own one either.
Get what makes you happy when you open that garage door and screw what other people think..
Old 09-14-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
I would never drive a Camarobird,,they look like matchbox/cartoon cars to me.
SS looks like a bloated catfish and the TA like the batmobile with an acne problem.
Just like Camarobird fanatics think the Monaro looks like a Grand Am which it shares nothing with at all and would never own one either.
The T/A may look a bit like the batmobile, but how could you say that the goat shares no styling with the grand ams and grand prixs? see photos below for some good humor and reality:

Old 09-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Keep the f-body, buy one of the low mileage '04 goats (pretty cheap right now), and mod it up. Reasonably modded '04's are stealthy, and if you Pedderize the suspension on them, they handle suprisingly well.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

ok, sorry, forgot to subscribe, didn't think i'd be asked a question. in response to the oil consumption, low tension rings are not to be babied when broken in. my car consumes about 1qt per 3000 mi, and i take the engine through the ringer.. i am willing to live with that kind of consumption. the engine oil should be run a little high (i keep 1/2qt over max) when doing performance driving anyway. that is not a problem. strut leaks are a problem. speedo inaccuracy is a problem. and, imho, 5.7L is a problem. and so are clear taillights....
Old 09-14-2006, 05:44 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grave
And while the GTO isn't as "bold" of a body stile as a WS6, it's funny how my GTO will turn heads everywhere I go. You see Camaros and Firebirds every day. You don't see a GTO every day.
I agree. Although the GTO isn't as aggressive as the T/A, I got constant looks during my seat time in the GTO.

Honestly, after driving the LS2 and feeling the instant torque anywhere in the RPM range, I'm not sure I could "deal" with a LS1 everyday anymore. Now, a heavily modded LS1 is another story, but for a bolt on DD car, I personally feel the GTO fits well. Furthermore, for my profession, the GTO is more suitable (I'm a REALTOR ).
Old 09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
but how could you say that the goat shares no styling with the grand ams and grand prixs?
Because they were designed,engineered and manufactured in two different countries by two different companys..
So while there may be somethings that look similiar to some people it purely concidence.. They share absolutely not one physical part,never have,never will.
The Grand Prix is a front wheel drive Pontiac made,designed and manufactured in the USA

The GTO IS NOT A PONTIAC , NEVER WAS,NEVER WILL BE.
IT IS A FRIGGIN REBADGED REAR WHEEL DRIVE HOLDEN MONARO MADE DESIGNED AND MANUFACTURED IN AUSTRALIA , IT WAS NEVER DESIGNED, BUILT OR ENGINEERED BY PONTIAC.....

Pontiac had zero input on the design ,manufacture or ANYTHING on the Monaro,in fact the Monaro was in production for 5 years before Pontiac decided to import it and rebadge it as a GTO. Only thing you can credit Pontiac for are the badges and the ugly front bumper.

Thats would be like saying since the Trans Am looks like a Tiburon GT it must be the same car even though they are two different companies from two different countries..
Open the door to a GTO and it say right there in big *** letter MANUFACTURED BY HOLDEN ,, not BY PONTIAC

Notice my post said they "share" nothing not they "look" nothing alike.
You could look just like the guy next to you yet you share no family heritage.
In this day and age a lot of cars "look" similiar
(has alot to do with aerodynamics,in the end they will all look like bubbles)
but doesnt mean they share anything.

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 09-14-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Such anger! I was just foolin' around with the comparison photo. I realize that the cars have no physical connections and share no parts. The goat is superior to any front wheel drive turd that ponitac has ever built, bur any sane person would have to admit that the cars in the photo above definitely have some simillar features even if it is coincidental.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Launching!

not anger just correction of facts and you wouldnt
believe how many people think that it is in fact the same car.
Dont worry I used to **** off the Lincoln guys by calling the LS sedan
a Mitsu Diamante..
Looks the same to me..
Old 09-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Teching In

like everyone else has said before, it all depends on what you use it for. as a daily driver, the gto is a better vehicle, i'll admit. i drove my cousins '04 and it is much smoother than my '02 SS. but, i'm 21, what the hell do i give a rats *** about smooth comfort. me and my dad argue about whether its worth building an old muscle car. he says no cause you can get a new car thats faster and more comfortable, but i could care less, i want the old style badass muscle. the fact is, all those problems your car has can be fixed, and it will be alot cheaper than a new GTO. i like the rougher feel of my car.
on a side note, my SS t-top leaks, and i tried to get the dealership to fix it when it was still warrantied, but they tried and failed. what exactly do they need to do to fix it so i don't have to pay anything extra since it's no longer under warranty?
Old 09-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
SS looks like a bloated catfish
and just out of curiosity, where did this comparison come from? a bloated catfish????
sorry, just had to ask.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Old 09-17-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

This shouldn't even be a question. Go to a dealership and test drive one. And then, just sit in the car for several minutes. Go back to your precious f-body and you'll see how completely garbage your interior is compared to what you were just in before. 'nuff said.

As for issues with the GTO, I do have a rattle coming from the driver's side dash area whenever I go over bumps. I first heard it when the car had less than 1,000 miles. It feels like a plastic piece is loose somewhere. I'll get this checked out by the dealership.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheSilverDragon
on a side note, my SS t-top leaks, and i tried to get the dealership to fix it when it was still warrantied, but they tried and failed. what exactly do they need to do to fix it so i don't have to pay anything extra since it's no longer under warranty?
black hi temp rtv. and don't open it anymore.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I test drove an 05 GTO about a year ago when I had my Formula. I admit they have really great interior. The suspension was just OK to me as was the power (nothing better than the F-body IMO). Then you get to the styling that is...uneventful. Looks nice, but just nice.

So what did I do? Got a Corvette. I had about 5 people in my back seat in the 5 years I owned my Formula....so I don't think I really have a "need" for one. So if you don't need a back seat, I'd consider a vette too.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my f-body for a gto?