Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Going from F-body to GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Tech Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from F-body to GTO?

Thinking about selling the Z28 and buying an LS2 GTO, and I wanted to hear from some other people who have made the switch from a 4th-gen F-body to a new Goat. What do you like, what dont you like, ect...?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned

i had a 01 ram air t/a vert that i traded in on the 06 gto.

i needed a car that i could pick up the kids (3 of them) in and still have power and not feel like a soccer dad! this was it!!

now i have a full interior and a trunk, 400 hp and the same feel as the t/a (power) yet! the ride is soooooo much better. like a caddy compared to the t/a.

if you want to feel like a man? and still drive around your kids? this is your car!!

just my .02
Old 12-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a 05 GTO and a 01 WS6. The only two major things i have noticed this far is that in the GTO you dont have the feeling of sitting low and almost laying back. Also my GTO dosn't handle near as well as my T/A.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Banned

but does your gto change lanes like the ws6 does on a rough road?

the performance goes to the t/a, yet the gto gets the (caddy) feeling with still some road grip.

i would also take the gto seats over the t/a's "like a lazy boy"
Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I went from a 99 Trans Am to an 06 GTO. Overall I feel it was a good move. If I was selling my Trans Am and going to JUST a GTO I would have picked up an M6 GTO because they definitely are more fun to drive but my goals for the GTO were to keep it as stock as possible for the long run so that it'll be a good daily driver for years to come and I plan to replace the Trans Am with another F-Body or a C5 Corvette. GTO is a hell of a car IMO and the LS2 is a great powerplant. I definitely feel all around like they are a better car.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Former 2002 Z28 owner here.

I never thought I could enjoy a car (I could afford) more than my Camaro. Until I bought the Goat a few months ago. The GTO's interior just kicks ***. Plus I like playing with all the neat little do-dads that come with the computer (trip countdown, average MPG, etc). Plus I love to set the O/Speed chime to 55mph when I know my wife is going to drive it. Really pisses her the off.

I'm also enjoying the low production numbers of the GTO. It's not too often you see one on the road, so I always get looks when I drive somewhere. Alot of people compliment me on the exhaust, and ask me what I've done to it. Then I tell them it's still a stock exhaust. The GTO's have a good growl to them for a stock setup.

But the best part is that my GTO dyno'd higher bone stock than my Camaro did with headers, lid, filter, tune, etc. Same dyno. Similar weather conditions. Gotta love the LS2.

It just sucks that the GTO aftermarket is so expensive. Catbacks, LT's, suspensions, etc aren't cheap in these cars! It just means I have to save a little more, for a little longer. So that's one thing I miss from the F-body world: variety of good parts at inexpensive prices.

All in all... I couldn't be happier with my GTO. I still miss my Camaro at times, until I get in the drivers seat of the Goat... then it quickly goes away.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:58 AM
Banned

Switch, you'll love it.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I can give you a direct comparison, since my '02 Firehawk is 100% stock and my '06 GTO is also.

The GTO handles better. Less body roll, more responsive steering. It actually feels smaller and more nimble than the hawk.

The Hawk feels a little quicker, but not by much. Probably a good race.

Interior-wise, there is no comparison. GTO is as nice as or better than my C6 Vette.

I like the t-tops on the Hawk better than the no-glass GTO roof.

Visibility in the GTO is much better, the door line is lower than an f-body. You can see out very easily, and the hood is invisible when looking out of the windshield.

Shifter in the GTO is clunky and vague. (both are 6-spds). Hurst in the Hawk isn't bad.

Clutch pedal is stiffer in the GTO.

Trunk space sucks in the GTO. You can fit more stuff in the hatch of an f-body.

Ride quality of the GTO is smoother. Very nice actually.

Fit/Finish/Materials are nicer on the GTO than the Hawk. Seems better engineered and put together, especially in the engine bay and body gaps.

Headlights work better on the GTO, about like a Camaro. Firebird headlights just suck.

Overall, I'd say the GTO is a better daily-driver. It is a nicer car, reminds me of the M3 BMW in terms of interior and performance. The F-body is more of a hotrod.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Resident

Thanks Tony, thats exactly the kind of rundown I was looking for, and my mind is pretty made up at this point. Now I just have to find one in my price range, ect...

BTW Tony, you're doing a Holden/Vauxhall front evnd conversion on yours right? Any chance of getting a good write-up with part numbers and where you got the parts from when you're done? Cause I cant stand the front bumper on the GTO's compaired to the Holdens.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1bad71
but does your gto change lanes like the ws6 does on a rough road?

the performance goes to the t/a, yet the gto gets the (caddy) feeling with still some road grip.

i would also take the gto seats over the t/a's "like a lazy boy"
I agree with you 100 percent. Its night and day difference in driving my GTO and T/A on Highways. The only thing im saying is that taking sharper corners at higher speeds just dont feel as good as the T/A to me.
But yeah i love my GTO.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

looks and power my SS is better.

my 05 GTO is better everywhere else. it rides great. has a nicer interior and build quality isnt even close. i got an m6 which it makes it so much fun to drive. its tons more comfortable too.

id really like an SAP for my GTO but its too expensive. bolt ons arent that expensive. with a little over 1k in mods it dynoed 365/361. theyre great cars. you cant go wrong.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've contemplated doing the same thing and decided just to have both. I would miss the convertible. I'm currently looking around for a GTO as a nice and fast DD and use the TA as my weekend car.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

i agree with tony i made the jump out of my 01 ws6 to the gto and i love it
Old 12-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Do it. You won't regret it.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

'98 Z28 to '05 GTO here.....

I miss being able to tear off 12.0s on 17" drag radials, but other than a standing 1/4 mile, I enjoy my GTO more than the Z in every way.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
'98 Z28 to '05 GTO here.....

I miss being able to tear off 12.0s on 17" drag radials, but other than a standing 1/4 mile, I enjoy my GTO more than the Z in every way

94 Z28 to 2002 VW Golf GTI turbo to 2005 GTO

I loved all of them,

but like the gto the best

Z28 was fastest.... (but I should fix that this month)
VW gave me the best service (spent less time in the shop, but it ran 14's)
gto gets the same highway milage as the VW (about 28-29)
and is definately more fun to drive
Old 12-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KrautBurner

It only takes a time or two in the shop to get rid of a VW. Those boogers are expensive to work on and local mechanics don't want to touch them.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by WS6Drop
I've contemplated doing the same thing and decided just to have both. I would miss the convertible. I'm currently looking around for a GTO as a nice and fast DD and use the TA as my weekend car.

i did the same
.. ...... .. . . . .. .
Old 12-20-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KrautBurner

I loved all of them,

but like the gto the best

Z28 was fastest.... (but I should fix that this month)
gto gets the same highway milage as the VW (about 28-29)
and is definately more fun to drive

I had a '94 too, before the '98.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Funny this post should come up. I'm in heavy deliberation on the subject. While I'd like to keep my 02 Hawk AND have a GTO, it's just not in the cards right now. I love the hawk but the deafening road noise is really wearin on me and my daughter is gettin to the age and size that necessitates a roomier passenger rear seat. I haven't completely made my mind up yet but am leaning more and more towards theGoat especially with some of thge testimonials in this thread.

Quick Reply: Going from F-body to GTO?