Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New GTO Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GTO Owner

I will be taking delivery of a brand new 2006 Phantom Black GTO on tuesday. Circumstances are going to have my Camaro SS up on jackstands for another two years (child support just doubled). So I decided to ditch my Chevy Avalanche and get a nice little street thumper to play with for a couple of years til my kid turns 19 and my leech of an ex-wife doesn't get another penny from me.

I do have a little money to play with for the GTO, so what should I do first? I was thinking of upgrading the driveshaft, axels and putting a Vigalante converter in it for starters. But I figured I would tap you guys to see what should be replaced first. Where are the cars strengths and weaknesses?

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

With an auto.. the stock Rear end has held up for quite a few moderate to high Horsepower GTOs. Consistant LOW 11s and occasional high 10s with mine... 1.5X 60's, stock driveshaft, stock IRS and stock suspension except adding the little $99 air bags.

A converter..definately. i'm sure you know already, but make sure you get a tranny cooler too.

I'm not saying you WONT have any issues with your driveline parts, but history has shown with these cars with autos that they hold up VERY well.

I am, however, adding new bushings and front/rear springs because i'm getting a little more serious about my 1/4 times.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

From what I've read, the drivetrain/suspension in the GTO is about as durable as the f-body stuff. That usually means upgrades are needed in the 11-sec zone. Congrats on the new purchase, you will like the car. This thing is 10x more enjoyable to drive than our 2006 Mustang GT was.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
From what I've read, the drivetrain/suspension in the GTO is about as durable as the f-body stuff. That usually means upgrades are needed in the 11-sec zone. Congrats on the new purchase, you will like the car. This thing is 10x more enjoyable to drive than our 2006 Mustang GT was.

just keep in mind that there are quite a few low 11 second GTOs/ high 10 second GTOs out there that are running stock suspension/rear IRS.

Its the M6's trannys that are having issues with breaking parts.

Once again.... i'm not saying you will not have issues with your rear. I'm just trying to let you know what i've seen/read/and experienced myself.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd venture to say the stock driveline parts in the GTO are stronger than the f body stuff. Eliminate wheel hop (drag bags) and you're good. I know of a couple auto GTO's that are in the 10's on totally stock driveline parts.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, I already have seen the drag bags on one of the sponsors website. Thinking about a 3600 stall, and upgrading to a B&M Trans cooler. My main thing is to keep this low buck, and trouble free. I already have one drag car, don't need another. Just something to have fun with for a couple of summers. After that I will sell it and maybe buy a new Camaro in 2009....and only if they build it RIGHT.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

Nice choice on the color!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

like fbodies these cars respond well to boltons. id recommend a tune and have your TM removed ASAP. enjoy. i love my 05.

Quick Reply: New GTO Owner